Top 14 Rugby

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

Post Reply
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Top 14 Rugby

Post by Neill_M » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:30 am

Big news out of France this morning is that Racing 92 and Stade Francais are merging for next season :shock:

User avatar
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 28295
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Looking for George North's defence

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Russ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

LOL

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Dublin4
Warrior
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Dublin4 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:58 pm

ROG unemployed so? >seeya

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Neill_M » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:06 pm

Dublin4 wrote:ROG unemployed so? >seeya
One of many things they will have to sort out - coaches, playing squad. Will play at the new stadium R92 were building - Arena92. More importantly - the kit, that will be very interesting...blue, white and pink hoops maybe?

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Neill_M » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:10 pm

It means that the 13th placed side in the Top 14 (currently Grenoble) will no longer face automatic relegation. Will now playoff v the side who loses the D2 playoff final. The likes of Oyonnax, Biarritz and Colomiers currently in contention for promotion.

User avatar
mikerob
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 9123
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:50 pm
Location: Chiswick, London

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by mikerob » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 pm

Despite what the news says, there are claims that it isn't a merger, it is basically a takeover of Stade by Racing.

So will it be a gallic shrug or Aux Barricades! from the Stade fans...?

User avatar
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 28295
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Looking for George North's defence

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Russ » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:11 pm

Did Stade not just build a new stadium?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Neill_M » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:13 pm

mikerob wrote:Despite what the news says, there are claims that it isn't a merger, it is basically a takeover of Stade by Racing.

So will it be a gallic shrug or Aux Barricades! from the Stade fans...?
Via Twitter, French press reports suggest Stade were the ones to start talks 10 months ago.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Neill_M » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:14 pm

Russ wrote:Did Stade not just build a new stadium?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yup, a local football side Red Star who play in Ligue 2, moving into Stade's stadium.

User avatar
solidarity
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1616
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by solidarity » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Neill_M wrote:
mikerob wrote:Despite what the news says, there are claims that it isn't a merger, it is basically a takeover of Stade by Racing.

So will it be a gallic shrug or Aux Barricades! from the Stade fans...?
Via Twitter, French press reports suggest Stade were the ones to start talks 10 months ago.
Very impressed by you following Twitter in French, Neill. I can't be bothered following it in English.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5469
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Neill_M » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:41 pm

Gavin Mortimer, a rugby journalist based in Paris is good to follow for all things French rugby. He is reporting that the Stade players and coaches were called into a meeting this morning and told of the merger, to say it came as a surprise would be a giant understatement....

User avatar
thecrouch
Red Hand Ambassador
Posts: 2650
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 5:26 pm
Location: Mexico

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by thecrouch » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:04 pm

This is a disgrace to be honest. The owners of the two clubs need to hang their heads in shame.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND

User avatar
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 17290
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:12 am
Location: On a roll.

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by BR » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:22 pm

It's been a long time coming IMHO. Once Guazzini had to relinquish control, the club was unsustainable. I'm surprised they lasted this long TBH. Probably a better outcome than both teams being demoted back out of professional existence.

Anyway the 'real Stade' supporters will be happy.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk

User avatar
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by UlsterNo9 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:54 pm

thecrouch wrote:This is a disgrace to be honest. The owners of the two clubs need to hang their heads in shame.
Bordeaux Begles had a similar merger a few years back.

I see Ibanez is also leaving them at the end of the season, maybe Madigan should have stuck it out.

When are we merging with Leinster?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: Top 14 Rugby

Post by Dave » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:01 pm

UlsterNo9 wrote:
thecrouch wrote:This is a disgrace to be honest. The owners of the two clubs need to hang their heads in shame.
Bordeaux Begles had a similar merger a few years back.

I see Ibanez is also leaving them at the end of the season, maybe Madigan should have stuck it out.

When are we merging with Leinster?
We already have.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

Post Reply