Munster 17/18

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Munster 17/18

Post by Shan »

Oh and by the way I don't mean the IRFU are just happy to let him go off. They would prefer to keep him but they want him to stay for the "honour of playing for Ireland" and will attempt to screw him financially in the hopes his green heart overrules his head. To be honest if they do decide to continue to screw him I hope he tells them to go f-ck themselves and head to France, even though I know what that means for us.

The IRFU could offload some of the deadwood inside the org and pay the players more. I'll bet there is a an awful lot of money being wasted on hangers-on and other sundry clowns adding no value.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
jean valjean wrote:POM is in a strong position for a better central contract. They are already letting zebo go and combined with pretty Rob getting an extension there would be marches on d4 from cork and Shannon if POM didn't get one.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
More or less true, but the real question is, does the FIRFU have sufficient resources to keep the players they’d clearly want to. POM of course is seen as a likely captain after Rory, they will probably have to come to the table.

Heaslip on the other hand is now 33 and having previously been unbreakable, appears ballixed.
I think they will play on the good nature of some older guys. Rory will likely be on a year to year deal with them knowing he ain't gonna go anywhere. The younger ones like POM and Hendo hold all the cards. Toner, Ryan, heaslip, Trimble are all up this year, with only heaslip likely to keep his. (Ryan already gone). Ringrose will get GLUs and furlong should expect one as well.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:Well Zebo is getting 3 times what the IRFU offered him. The thing is as one of those individuals who knows POM's value to any team I would say he is in a different boat but I don't think the IRFU see it like that. We know they are a bit short-sighted when it comes to the provinces. IRFU see POM as a guy who they could do without at Ireland Level. Now that is as dumb as it comes but his omission from the team when Stander came on the scene is proof of that.

He simply cannot be done without for Munster(Or Ireland in my view) If he goes, I would see Murray go next and that is the end of Munster for the next few years at least. Simple as that. Munster will become Ulster very quickly and the IRFU will be left with one province to select their Ireland team from with a tiny handful from Ulster/Munster. So it will ultimately impact the IRFU's primary team.

One of the guys here yesterday said that in a few short years there will be 6 strong teams in France, 3 in England and Leinster. All the rest will be bit part teams at best. I have a feeling he may not be too far wrong.
Many sage words there, Horse.

The wan thing against that Shan, is that at that time Heaslip was a force of nature, shoo-in for Ireland and the Lions. Not the case now, but I don't doubt the FIRFU will sell that line, "plenty more fish etc etc". Dumb cnuts

I've been saying exactly that since Nucibastard dropped the bomb on Ruan. It is as simple as that and what your mate told is the logical play out of the wealthy few having the buying power to leave the rest in their wake. We lost that fight when we allowed the Lionels & Brother Frog to ruin the HC & shorten the 6Ns and indeed allowing the Lionels to usher the hated BT Sport through the gate & fleece the subscription paying public.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I would select POM ahead of Stander every day if it was a one or the other choice Baggy.

Not that I have anything against Stander but I do not believe and will never believe that we would have beaten England without POM in last year's 6n. He gives much much more than what you see with a casual view. Funny thing from the weekend game is that the so-called media in Ireland rated POM the worst of the three backrowers. It was clear to me he was the best. Numerous times I watched him disrupting the oppositions and making important tackles. Some folk need to led by the hand when they cross the road. Such folk are involved in deciding contract policy in the IRFU.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

POM would be a massive loss for Irish rugby and I'd rate him over stander any day. I know nothing of the background but with a world cup and possible captaincy looming I'd be surprised if he left. Players should leave post world cup for 2 years of big money and then come back. Would he be selected by Ireland if he left - I guess he would be but maybe not get the captaincy?
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:POM would be a massive loss for Irish rugby and I'd rate him over stander any day. I know nothing of the background but with a world cup and possible captaincy looming I'd be surprised if he left. Players should leave post world cup for 2 years of big money and then come back. Would he be selected by Ireland if he left - I guess he would be but maybe not get the captaincy?
How many times must I say it? Rory Best is Schmidt's choice to lead Ireland :puker: to the RWC 2019 as long as Rory's body holds together. That my dear is why Rory will play very little rugby for Ulster from here until retirement.

POM probably comes next. And by the way Shan, I don't disagree with you regarding POM/Stander, then again, the sad state of affairs is that sages such as you & I don't get heard when antipodean clowns are selecting teams we may or may not give a tinker'swank about.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Agreed on Rory. Schmidt likes him as captain and he will remain so as long as he can play for Ireland. To be fair to Schmidt in this one I suspect that the vast majority of supporters agree with him. Even I do at this moment, though I won't be a liar and say he was my choice originally. I probably would try that except there is way too much evidence littered throughout this place to catch me out. :D
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Shan wrote:Agreed on Rory. Schmidt likes him as captain and he will remain so as long as he can play for Ireland. To be fair to Schmidt in this one I suspect that the vast majority of supporters agree with him. Even I do at this moment, though I won't be a liar and say he was my choice originally. I probably would try that except there is way too much evidence littered throughout this place to catch me out. :D
Have to say I didn't have much faith in Rory as Irish captain either - I thought it was a poisoned chalice for him but he's done really well.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:
Shan wrote:Agreed on Rory. Schmidt likes him as captain and he will remain so as long as he can play for Ireland. To be fair to Schmidt in this one I suspect that the vast majority of supporters agree with him. Even I do at this moment, though I won't be a liar and say he was my choice originally. I probably would try that except there is way too much evidence littered throughout this place to catch me out. :D
Have to say I didn't have much faith in Rory as Irish captain either - I thought it was a poisoned chalice for him but he's done really well.
Agen, I'll tell you the difference in the Ulster camp & the Irish camp, purely as I see it and not with any inside insight.

The Irish one works on getting the basics right, on adherence to the clear though detailed wants of the head coach and by players building respect for the process & each other as things appear to get steadily better. For the most part, it appears a meritocracy***, when it comes to big matches, big players take their established place, young guys scrap away, some for a few seasons, hoping to become the established starters. The coach appears to respect those who perform for him, time & again but seems to have little to no out and out loyalty if a player's performance slips - ***barring the unique and unfathomable case of Robnoxious.

The Ulster one works - or doesn't - on the basis of chaotic behaviour on the whim of the DOR who appears a very conflicted man thrashing around in all directions in a spastic fashion, hoping to get things right, but not having the remotest idea on how to to it and in reality, it is clearly getting worse. He also appears to have little or no respect for any player and his man-management skills are blatantly appalling.

As for Rory, he very clearly feels right at home with Schmidt and the meritocracy, but appears to be at the end of his tether with frustration about what's going on at Ulster, it is no surprise that Rory has thrived away from Spanners. There was a general consensus here pre-Muller that Rory was a poor captain. Utter bullshite of course, and much as I despise the FIRFU, I take great joy in Rory's success.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Teams for the >TT Ospreys game (Sat 5:30pm Sky Sports)

Munster: Simon Zebo; Darren Sweetnam, Sam Arnold, Rory Scannell, Alex Wootton; Ian Keatley, James Hart; Liam O’Connor, Rhys Marshall, John Ryan; Jean Kleyn, Billy Holland (C); Jack O’Donoghue, Chris Cloete, Robin Copeland.

Replacements: Kevin O’Byrne, Brian Scott, Stephen Archer, Darren O’Shea, Sean O’Connor, Duncan Williams, JJ Hanrahan, Calvin Nash.

15 Dan Evans 14 Hanno Dirksen 13 Kieron Fonotia 12 James Hook 11 Jeff Hassler 10 Sam Davies 9 Tom Habberfield

1 Gareth Thomas 2 Sam Parry 3 Dmitri Arhip 4 Lloyd Ashley 5 Bradley Davies (C) 6 Olly Cracknell 7 Will Jones 8 James King

16 Scott Baldwin 17 Rowan Jenkins 18 Ma’afu Fia 19 Rob McCusker 20 Guy Mercer
21 Reuben Morgan-Williams 22 Luke Price 23 Joe Thomas

Welsh side missing 9 on International duty and 13 injured.

Easy BP win for the Munster men.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Remember when Zebo used to start for Ireland
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Dave wrote:Remember when Zebo used to start for Ireland
His choice. Taking a very large salary in France over more International caps and a RWC. The French do pay well to be fair.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Neill_M wrote:
Dave wrote:Remember when Zebo used to start for Ireland
His choice. Taking a very large salary in France over more International caps and a RWC. The French do pay well to be fair.
If that wasn't the case Stockdale would not have been given his opportunity. Mad to think that Zebo would be ahead of him. Zebo lol.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ROG wrote: But Peter O’Mahony is the most Munster of Munster players. Pres, Cork Con, he’s Munster through and through in terms of his rugby lineage. I am sure there is a cracking deal there for him from the IRFU. I don’t know the figures, but uninformed articles that anyone can rock up to the Top 14 and earn €500,000 a year needs to be weighed against the fact that a good Irish international will earn €300,000 to €400,000 at home from the IRFU anyway.

People have this erroneous impression there’s half a million for every international player looking to come to the Top 14, but only the very lucky ones — where timing and supply/demand come into play — can avail of those types of offers.
Feck away off ROG with yer Pres and Con ballix. Both are a shower of langers. :D

Interesting point about the money in France though.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Dave wrote:If that wasn't the case Stockdale would not have been given his opportunity. Mad to think that Zebo would be ahead of him. Zebo lol.
Dave McWhinge. Gwan away and have a lie down. :D