New semi-pro league

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Liz Fraser
Squire

Re: New semi-pro league

Post by Liz Fraser »

Dublin4 wrote:I'd be happy with two divisions of 8 in the AIL playing home and away and playing the other division once.
Let the rest of the clubs go back to provincial rugby and save on costs.
The top Dublin sides in the AIL have it ok as there are 6 of them and being centrally based are never that much put out.in any case.

Bangor in the 5th division (or 2c if you are a weirdo), have Omagh as there most local side and their only team from the same provence.
Absolutely pointless and only serves to drain money.
With all due respect it would be hard for either club to look at their fixture list including Bruff and Midleton and not think wtf and vice versa

So basically it's the Munster and Ulster clubs that get most shafted.
No need for d4 to panic then.
Maybe the top clubs could split into Leinster/ Ulster and Munster/Connacht league with play offs between the leagues at the end.
Until at least the Ulster clubs drop out and it becomes provincial league's in any case.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:I'd be happy with two divisions of 8 in the AIL playing home and away and playing the other division once.
Let the rest of the clubs go back to provincial rugby and save on costs.
Suppose your dirty dubbers clubs need to be most of those 8 and need a few scrubber sides to dick on

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

I saw Fanning had an article this week - slightly different proposal (maybe a stepping stone?)

2 leagues of 8 at the top (Premiership 1 & 2), then Championship 1 & 2, then Conference 1 & 2. The Premiership and Champ are national, the Conf restructured each year to avoid long distance travel.

At least 2 clubs from each union in the Premiership for starters - ring-fenced for 2 years, then promotion is possible - no restriction on contracted players, and there will be an element of IRFU funding.

It seems like a very messy halfway house to me - the IRFU have obviously bottled their desired option, presumably in the face of pushback from the big Dublin clubs...
..one more thing
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

How many conferences will it have?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

IRFU are in talks with Eir Sports for highlights show of this new semi pro league so had extra funding to the new league.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UR13IRFU wrote:IRFU are in talks with Eir Sports for highlights show of this new semi pro league so had extra funding to the new league.
Not much use to us in the forgotten land
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UR13IRFU
Novice

Post by UR13IRFU »

All you need is a magic stick or box. They show a lot of stuff on their FB page aswell. Is there not also certain requirements that have to be met by each club if they are to be in this top flight league. I ask this as I know Hinch had to invest in onsite gym facility and also just recently had to get state of the art energy efficient LED panel floodlights in as this was going to be a requirement for all 1A/B clubs in the not too distant future
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

New and IMO related development - the series of matches against the US-based team by all of the A sides, by coincidence right at the very business end of the AIL season... To me it looks like a bit of a power play by the IRFU "OK if you ain't going to play ball, and into the bargain complain about increases in the numbers of contracted players, let's see how you like playing your championship minutes without ANY contracted or academy players, oh and PS the AIL still doesn't work for us, we'll let you know our plans for next season soon, bye now!"
..one more thing