PADDY JACKSON

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by big mervyn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:38 pm

TMHG wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Few cigarettes when out with friends, socialising. Usually with a pint.

Alcohol companies educating about binge drinking is like cigarette companies educating about the dangers of smoking. It's a nonsense and only done to make themselves look better to people who can't work that out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
There are millions of people around the world who enjoy a drink, but don't drink to excess or binge drink. Their health, judgement, decision making ability isn't impaired because they don't do it to excess. Someone has to educate the general public - who better to pay for this than the companies that financially benefit from the sale of alcohol.

They do it to make themselves look better, but if they don't, Governments/Health authorities will hound them out of business.
The latest research indicates that there are no safe drinking limits and that even small to moderate amounts will impair health. The publicised govt limits are arbitrary and meaningless.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11067
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by Jackie Brown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:43 pm

So how much drinking is healthy?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

User avatar
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11831
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:51 am
Location: East Belfast

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by pwrmoore » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:11 pm

TMHG wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
TMHG wrote:
So they were binge drinking. Diageo sponsors education programmes to inform people of the dangers of binge drinking (dangers which include impact on judgement and decision making as well as health). For the record, more than 3 pints in a session is regarded as binge drinking.
:lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead:

Diageo are the good guys! :thumleft:
Who said Daigeo were the good guys? The issue is that they will be called out on the double standards of their messaging - on the one hand they are financially supporting programmes about the responsible use of alcohol, and on the other hand they are financially supporting a club that employs players who were/are binge drinkers and who would be regarded as role models to young impressionable people.

They just can't fudge that one.
Then it's time they dissociated themselves from all Rugby and a host of other sports.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:

TMHG
Initiate
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by TMHG » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:21 pm

big mervyn wrote:
TMHG wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Few cigarettes when out with friends, socialising. Usually with a pint.

Alcohol companies educating about binge drinking is like cigarette companies educating about the dangers of smoking. It's a nonsense and only done to make themselves look better to people who can't work that out.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
There are millions of people around the world who enjoy a drink, but don't drink to excess or binge drink. Their health, judgement, decision making ability isn't impaired because they don't do it to excess. Someone has to educate the general public - who better to pay for this than the companies that financially benefit from the sale of alcohol.

They do it to make themselves look better, but if they don't, Governments/Health authorities will hound them out of business.
The latest research indicates that there are no safe drinking limits and that even small to moderate amounts will impair health. The publicised govt limits are arbitrary and meaningless.
Its up to the individual to decide what is an acceptable risk level for them - but people need to know the risks. Banning drugs hasn't stopped people taking them.

TMHG
Initiate
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:10 pm
Location: Dublin

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by TMHG » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:23 pm

pwrmoore wrote:
TMHG wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
TMHG wrote:
So they were binge drinking. Diageo sponsors education programmes to inform people of the dangers of binge drinking (dangers which include impact on judgement and decision making as well as health). For the record, more than 3 pints in a session is regarded as binge drinking.
:lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead: :lol: :banghead:

Diageo are the good guys! :thumleft:
Who said Daigeo were the good guys? The issue is that they will be called out on the double standards of their messaging - on the one hand they are financially supporting programmes about the responsible use of alcohol, and on the other hand they are financially supporting a club that employs players who were/are binge drinkers and who would be regarded as role models to young impressionable people.

They just can't fudge that one.
Then it's time they dissociated themselves from all Rugby and a host of other sports.
Maybe they should. Or maybe sports should dissociate themselves from alcohol sponsorship.

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by big mervyn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Jackie Brown wrote:So how much drinking is healthy?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
To all intents and purposes, none. The auld French paradox seems to be a bit of a myth and the health claims for a glass of red a day are grossly exagerrated. Having said that, I have no intention of taking the pledge :stout:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6481
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by rumncoke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Death is the only certainty in life and anything can kill you if taken to excess .

So pick your poison
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

twiglet
Initiate
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:15 am

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by twiglet » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:27 pm

As well as posting here you should be sending emails to Diagio telling them that the there will be a great reduction in the amount of Guinness consumed at rugby matches if they use their sponsorship to threaten the running of a club.

I would have thought that sponsors would want to be associated with a winning, successful club. Why, therefore would you try to prevent the club getting the best players. Is it just because the femenazis can send the sponsors lots of emails saying they will stop drinking Guinness?

Men need to get organised to counteract the femenazis

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:31 pm

The next PM seems likely to have used illegal drugs.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

TopPoster
Initiate
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by TopPoster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Cost of alcohol related illness to NHS per year: £3.5Billion
Cost of alcohol related issues to the UK economy per year: £21Billion
Average deaths per year related to alcohol in Uk: 8000
Victims of crime related to alcohol in UK: 1 in every 100
Sexual crimes related to alcohol in UK per year: 18%

Diageo 2018 Operating Profiteering from the above misery: £3.7 Billion


One IRFU who colluded in previous players sex scandals
One IRFU who had opportunity to educate and lead rather than condone by inaction
One young player/employee of IRFU
One trial in world leading Judicial System
One Jury of 12 impartial and randomly selected peers
One unanimous Acquittal
One solitary private encrypted inappropriate message
One job loss
One hounding out of home
One exiled from family and friends and nation
One continuing trial by cesspit of social media keyboard warriors unable to accept lawful trial decision
One young player trying to move on with life

And Diageo trying to talk Values and take moral high ground!!!!!!!!

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by big mervyn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:12 pm

I'll miss hophouse 13 and bottled Guinness and no more Baileys for Mrs BM (her decision) but fuc.k them.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

User avatar
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 20271
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:27 pm

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by Dave » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:26 pm

Top top poster [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?

User avatar
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11067
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:15 pm
Location: Carrickfergus

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by Jackie Brown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:25 pm

Are Bushmills still owned by Diageo?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6481
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by rumncoke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:27 pm

No



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

User avatar
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11433
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: PADDY JACKSON

Post by big mervyn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Jackie Brown wrote:Are Bushmills still owned by Diageo?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
They don't own any of the established Irish whiskey brands. Loads of Scotch ones.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall

Post Reply