Image
Image

Topics Calendar

August 2017

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31

Who is online

In total there are 30 users online :: 5 registered, 1 hidden and 24 guests

Most users ever online was 432 on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Registered users: Bing [Bot], Cracker, Google [Bot], mid ulster maestro, Yahoo [Bot]


Legend :: Administrators, Moderators

Statistics

Total posts 599954
Total topics 18625
Total members 2802
Our newest member De-aRt

Summer Tours

Stuff from around the world.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

  • Advertisement

Topic Rating:
  • 2 votes
  

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Neil F » Thu May 18, 2017 1:53 pm

Trimble and Bowe don't insist on trying to pirouette through 12 covering defenders from midfield on his own 10m line repeatedly... The problem is not his attacking edge; it's his decision-making and his resolute belief that he can attack from anywhere, against the pattern of play, no matter how many times he gets put on his Brennan. You'll never see an easier hat-trick, at any level of professional rugby, than the one Gilroy scored against Italy; and it's funny that the hat-trick keeps coming up when someone criticises Gilroy because, seriously, can you tell me one more thing of note he did this season?
User avatar
Neil F
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3996
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:34 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Russ » Thu May 18, 2017 2:19 pm

Neil F wrote:Trimble and Bowe don't insist on trying to pirouette through 12 covering defenders from midfield on his own 10m line repeatedly... The problem is not his attacking edge; it's his decision-making and his resolute belief that he can attack from anywhere, against the pattern of play, no matter how many times he gets put on his Brennan. You'll never see an easier hat-trick, at any level of professional rugby, than the one Gilroy scored against Italy; and it's funny that the hat-trick keeps coming up when someone criticises Gilroy because, seriously, can you tell me one more thing of note he did this season?

feck up Joe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 23643
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Looking for George North's defence

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Shan » Thu May 18, 2017 4:57 pm

Neil F wrote:T You'll never see an easier hat-trick, at any level of professional rugby, than the one Gilroy scored against Italy; and it's funny that the hat-trick keeps coming up when someone criticises Gilroy because, seriously, can you tell me one more thing of note he did this season?


He created an opportunity for a lot of hot air to be generated around these parts. That is not to be underestimated.


Also - Rum said that nobody said that Bowe is gash. I disagree. Lots of people have said that. At the very least everybody who knows anything said he had no business being involved in the Ireland Squad this season.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
User avatar
Shan
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 9428
Images: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: Summer Tours

Postby BaggyTrousers » Thu May 18, 2017 6:19 pm

I must commend Ron'n on his argument in favour of Gilroy.

Stockdale 9 in 18 games
Piutau scored 9 tries in 23 games
Trimble 3 in 11 games
Bowe 3 in 14 games
Gilroy 3 in 17 games

What is relevant is that both Stockdale & Piutau played a fair bit in other positions, Gilroy had a few at fullback too but mainly the wing.

I believe that the issue all the guys had was that for almost the entire season Ulster had a dreadfully unproductive season in the centres, none of the many combos but mainly involving Marshall, Olding & McCloskey worked, yet month on month FOLK sent them out.

I believe Gilroy has been a much better defender in recent years, much of the grumbling harks back several seasons, but one thing I'll tell you free, gratis & for nothing, he is better outside Cave and Cave only started 9 times all season.

It is interesting to me that if you asked fans which were Ulster's best games of the season, especially for the backline? They may well answer as I would, both Glasgow games, Cardiff away & Clermont home. They stand out as the most enjoyable games of the season by some distance, added to beating the Mexicans which is always enjoyable no matter the performance.

Now it may well be coincidence, >EW but in all 4 enjoyable matches this year, Cave started. I believe beyond doubt that our centres were the stumbling block for our back division last season, said it for months & I'll brook no argument now, for there can be none.

I think maybe some might look a bit further than the end of their nose when slating their non-favourite players, look over Gilroy's career stats and it's mightily impressive, the amount he's played for his age and his strike rate. I'm not saying he should be with the Lions or Ireland, I am saying he's a hell of a lot better than many here will allow and he is by no measure even close to being in the frame as a reason our season past was pish.

Harrumph. :roll:
BOYCOTT ALL IRELAND GAMES UNTIL THEY SACK THE TYRANT NUCIFORA.

PASS IT ON - THIS MEANS WAR.
User avatar
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 25524
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Spiffsson » Fri May 19, 2017 2:39 am

Gilroy looked like the real goods 3-4 seasons ago. But he has not kicked on, though on occasion he is capable of scoring a great try. There is still an immaturity about his play, mainly involving decision making, and when I watch him play now I'm always a litttle on edge, waiting for something to go wrong. He has not seemed able to maximize his natural talent.I think he has now been overtaken by players like Conway, Byrne, Stockdale, Sweetnam and perhaps Adeolokun and O'Loughlin. Even Ulster's own Lyttle, a fast and clever little footballer, if he gets an injury free run, could prove the better all-round winger/FB. It's not that likely that Gilroy will get another cap, given Schmidt's tour selection, but he's certainly a good squad player for Ulster at provincial level.
User avatar
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief
 
Posts: 1681
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:31 pm
Location: Mooseistan

Re: Summer Tours

Postby justinr73 » Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 am

Spiffsson wrote:Gilroy looked like the real goods 3-4 seasons ago. But he has not kicked on, though on occasion he is capable of scoring a great try. There is still an immaturity about his play, mainly involving decision making, and when I watch him play now I'm always a litttle on edge, waiting for something to go wrong. He has not seemed able to maximize his natural talent.I think he has now been overtaken by players like Conway, Byrne, Stockdale, Sweetnam and perhaps Adeolokun and O'Loughlin. Even Ulster's own Lyttle, a fast and clever little footballer, if he gets an injury free run, could prove the better all-round winger/FB. It's not that likely that Gilroy will get another cap, given Schmidt's tour selection, but he's certainly a good squad player for Ulster at provincial level.


At the risk of being accurate, he got 10 tries in the Pro 12 last year and 11 the year before.

No he's not had a great season but is that any reason to rewrite history?
User avatar
justinr73
Squire
 
Posts: 709
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Shan » Sat May 20, 2017 2:15 am

Spiffsson wrote:Gilroy looked like the real goods 3-4 seasons ago. But he has not kicked on, though on occasion he is capable of scoring a great try. There is still an immaturity about his play, mainly involving decision making, and when I watch him play now I'm always a litttle on edge, waiting for something to go wrong. He has not seemed able to maximize his natural talent.I think he has now been overtaken by players like Conway, Byrne, Stockdale, Sweetnam and perhaps Adeolokun and O'Loughlin. Even Ulster's own Lyttle, a fast and clever little footballer, if he gets an injury free run, could prove the better all-round winger/FB. It's not that likely that Gilroy will get another cap, given Schmidt's tour selection, but he's certainly a good squad player for Ulster at provincial level.


It is strange Sweetnam has not been included. Of the non-established guys I would take he and Stockdale as the most promising.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
User avatar
Shan
Lord Chancellor
 
Posts: 9428
Images: 5
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Neil F » Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm

BaggyTrousers wrote:I think maybe some might look a bit further than the end of their nose when slating their non-favourite players, look over Gilroy's career stats and it's mightily impressive, the amount he's played for his age and his strike rate. I'm not saying he should be with the Lions or Ireland, I am saying he's a hell of a lot better than many here will allow and he is by no measure even close to being in the frame as a reason our season past was pish.


On this I disagree, Baggy. I don't think we should judge Gilroy only on what he's achieved but on what he could / should have achieved. I know there is a tendency of many on this forum to massive over-estimate the capacity of young Ulster players when they first break onto the scene but I doubt many on this forum thought much other than Gilroy being an established international by this point in his career. The "next Shane Williams" I remember him being called (although possibly by me). I doubt many saw him in the international wilderness in a summer tour in a Lions year, let me put it like that.

As it is, my reservations about Gilroy have spanned a number of season. Not because he is a non-favourite play or anything of the sort but rather because he has become incredibly frustrating to watch, particularly with ball in hand. His strike rate is impressive but in two of the last three seasons, his most impressive form came during international windows. This season, he didn't even get going then. So much of that, though, seems to come from his decision-making. Unlike any other Ulster player, he really does try to do too much when he gets the ball in his hands. Maybe this happens to a player in bad form. Maybe he's trying too hard to make something happen. He wouldn't be the only one in Ulster I could apply that to but that shouldn't make his form immune to criticism, especially when much of it seems to have come because of a deterioration in his decision-making. A player six or seven years into his career shouldn't be making the basic errors Gilroy has been; and not just this season.
User avatar
Neil F
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3996
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:34 am
Location: Berlin

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Neill_M » Wed May 31, 2017 2:45 pm

Sean Reidy called up for the injured TOD. Rhys Ruddock is the captain.
User avatar
Neill_M
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Neill_M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:12 am

Eir Sport showing the 3 games.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Neill_M
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:28 am

Neill_M wrote:Eir Sport showing the 3 games.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what the feck use is that to anyone ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 37301
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Neill_M » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:37 am

Rooster wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Eir Sport showing the 3 games.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what the feck use is that to anyone ?


That is the tv rights down Mexico way. World rugby do provide free live streams via youtube etc of some internationals etc
User avatar
Neill_M
Chancellor to the King
 
Posts: 3455
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Rooster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:38 am

Neill_M wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Eir Sport showing the 3 games.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well what the feck use is that to anyone ?


That is the tv rights down Mexico way. World rugby do provide free live streams via youtube etc of some internationals etc

Right, when is the United Ireland referendum, that has finally made my mind up
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
User avatar
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 37301
Images: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 am
Location: Chicken coop 17

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Russ » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 pm

Who's playing fly half this week?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
User avatar
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 23643
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:27 pm
Location: Looking for George North's defence

Re: Summer Tours

Postby Snipe Watson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 pm

Russ wrote:Who's playing fly half this week?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

No idea Russ, who do you think?
"It's a sad man my friend who's livin' in his own skin and can't stand the company."
User avatar
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
 
Posts: 21324
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:42 pm

PreviousNext


  • Advertisement

Return to International rugby

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Recent Forum Topics

cron
!-- Piwik -->