Ireland u20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: Ireland u20s

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

17-26

Grand Slam :cheers:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Well done Ireland
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Hopefully the last Grand Slam this weekend. :D
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Watched it -- still can't see many of the players playing professional rugby --- Nobody stood out as a talent -- which is and isn't a good thing .

Collectively the team played well with no stand out stars and most of the players made some mistakes etc.

At under twenty forwards have still time on their side but the fact remains real talent and future Pros usually stand out -- Henderson's Ryans Porters --Mcfaddens etc all looked the part at under twenty and as I say -- in the team nobody stood out in similar fashion.

Kernohan showed why some see something in his game he actually got the ball a couple of times and looked good but his defence -- the less said the better.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Don't agree with you at all concerning few of them making it as pros.. I think a good few will find themselves in seniors squads in the future. Baird who came on as a sub lock was outstanding, Hodnett and Penny were very good in the back row, the centres where great .. That team has been so impressive - they misfired a lot during that match but still maintained composure an produced some great rugby to win. Reid looked good and so did McCann when they got on.. [I can't believe McCann is U19].
It will be interesting to see how this team does at the U20s World Cup .

On Kernohan - I know he's often written off here, he certainly is not the complete package but he is, I believe, a school centre converted to a winger and looks like he is trying to take on a lot of information and apply it to his game. I think if he keeps working at it he'll be a serious winger for Ulster, he's only 20- see how he goes at the World Cup and next season especially. He's got 13 caps for Ulster and McFarland isn't sentimental so he must have something about him..

https://www.the42.ie/angus-kernohan-ire ... 2-Mar2019/
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Kernohan played well,tackled a d scored a try. That does not take away from the fact he had a bummer in the previous game.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Silverstu wrote:Don't agree with you at all concerning few of them making it as pros..
ha ha yeah no harm but this is ridiculous Image two of them already have senior appearances, I would say the large majority of that squad will be senior pros. The stand-outs for me: half-backs Casey and Byrne, the former similar to Marmion, the latter IMO will be better than big brother; starting front row, particularly Tierney-Martin, and Tom Clarkson played 398 of 400 mins, amazing for a 3; Hodnett at 8, Penny obviously; Wren and Flannery, and Hawkshaw and Turner were impressive - and then French was excellent when he came in after Hawkshaw’s injury.

Ulster players - Kernohan looked uncertain in defence, but all his weaknesses are coachable, what is less coachable is his size, pace and footwork, all of which are good. He’ll be a very solid player for Ulster - at the very least. Reid impressed me - a proper nugget, scrummaged well, showed good basics round the park, and McCann too, a big rangy guy, still young for this age grade, he looked useful.
..one more thing
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

As a group they gel but nobody stands out as an obvious pro in the making at the moment .

Kernohan has 13 appearances due to injury and does have a nice game with ball in hand but !!

I have stated time is on the side of the forwards but the fact remains only about 3% of players in any underage group will make the jump to Pro level .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

rumncoke wrote:As a group they gel but nobody stands out as an obvious pro in the making at the moment .

Kernohan has 13 appearances due to injury and does have a nice game with ball in hand but !!

I have stated time is on the side of the forwards but the fact remains only about 3% of players in any underage group will make the jump to Pro level .

I’ll happily bet you £1,000 that much more than 3% of this Irish group will get FT pro contracts...
..one more thing
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

rumncoke wrote:As a group they gel but nobody stands out as an obvious pro in the making at the moment .

3% is well out of date. 2012 group for example have nearly 1 st XV of fully capped internationals.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

Big-al wrote:

3% is well out of date. 2012 group for example have nearly 1 st XV of fully capped internationals.
Yep, 12 of that group have played for Ireland.

Niall Scannell, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Tadhg Beirne, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan, Kieran Marmion, Luke McGrath, Paddy Jackson, Jack Carty, Chris Farrell and Stuart Olding.

Then you've got a few that have played a fair bit for the provinces such as Alan O'Connor, Barry Daly, JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Marsh and Peter Nelson. Plus there's a few more that have the odd provincial cap plus a pro career playing in the Championship in England.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Cormac wrote:
Yep, 12 of that group have played for Ireland.

Niall Scannell, Tadhg Furlong, Iain Henderson, Tadhg Beirne, Josh van der Flier, Jack Conan, Kieran Marmion, Luke McGrath, Paddy Jackson, Jack Carty, Chris Farrell and Stuart Olding.

Then you've got a few that have played a fair bit for the provinces such as Alan O'Connor, Barry Daly, JJ Hanrahan, Cathal Marsh and Peter Nelson. Plus there's a few more that have the odd provincial cap plus a pro career playing in the Championship in England.
This is confusing. It looks like you have posted facts but Rum's previous facts, without evidence, couldn't be wrong surely?

Rum facts - If something happened one time it means it will always happen. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Shan wrote:
This is confusing. It looks like you have posted facts but Rum's previous facts, without evidence, couldn't be wrong surely?

Rum facts - If something happened one time it means it will always happen. :D
People are still trying to engage and reason with this buffoon. He won't change. He will remain an idiot until the day he dies.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Extended Ireland U20 Squad (World Rugby U20 Championship 2019). Squad will be trimmed from 33 to 28 before heading to Argentina. Ireland’s games will be shown live on Eir Sport.

Forwards
Declan Adamson (Clontarf/Leinster) *
Thomas Ahern (Shannon/Munster) *
Azur Allison (Ballymena/Ulster) *
Ryan Baird (Dublin University/Leinster)
Tom Clarkson (Dublin University/Leinster)
Brian Deeny (Clontarf/Leinster)
John Hodnett (UCC)
David McCann (Banbridge/Ulster)
John McKee (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Michael Milne (UCD/Leinster)
Martin Moloney (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
Niall Murray (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Callum Reid (Banbridge/Ulster)
Charlie Ryan (UCD/Leinster) Captain
Dylan Tierney-Martin (Corinthians/Connacht)
Charlie Ward (Clontarf/Leinster) *
Ronan Watters (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
Josh Wycherley (Young Munster/Munster)

Backs
Craig Casey (Shannon/Munster) Vice-Captain
Jake Flannery (Shannon/Munster)
Cormac Foley (St.Mary’s College/Leinster)
Sean French (Cork Constitution/Munster)
Ben Healy (Garryowen/Munster)
Bruce Houston (Ballymena/Ulster)
Iwan Hughes (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
Angus Kernohan (Queen’s University/Ulster)

Adam LaGrue (Terenure College/Leinster) *
Stewart Moore (Malone/Ulster) *
Colm Reilly (Buccaneers/Connacht)
Rob Russell (Dublin University/Leinster)
Liam Turner (Dublin University/Leinster)
Jonathan Wren (Cork Constitution/Munster)

*Denotes uncapped at this level

Unavailable due to injury
Harry Byrne
David Hawkshaw
Scott Penny
Conor Phillips

Ireland U20 World Rugby U20 Championships Fixtures
Pool A
England v Ireland
Club de Rugby Atheneo Immaculada, Santa Fe
Tuesday 4th June 2019
KO: 15:30 (local) / 19:30 (Irish)

Australia v Ireland
Sunday 8th June, 2019
KO: 10:30 (local) / 14:30 (Irish)

Italy v Ireland
Saturday 12th June, 2019
KO: 10:30 (local) / 14:30 (Irish)

Semi-Finals / Play-Offs
Racecourse Stadium, Rosario OR Club Old Resian, Rosario
Monday 17th June 2019

Finals Day
Racecourse Stadium, Rosario / Club Old Resian, Rosario
Sunday 22nd June 2019
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Only EIRsport?