Japan RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderators: The Fonz, Moderators

User avatar
solidarity
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by solidarity » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:58 pm

What sort of an eejit is he? A once in a lifetime opprtunity and he messes it up like this. Or is it likely to be an old sin that requires a 'historical investigation'?

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6481
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by rumncoke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 am

Not to sure how you could really "fix" an International setting in an assistant coaches bench to be honest. 'Fixing' would require the input of players but in the end it comes down to the type of bet -- I know that in las Vegas on the Super bowl the number of bets available was well into the hundreds.

The unfortunate thing is a "gambler " will have bet on anything .

Anyway what has gambling to do with the RWC other than I wouldn't bet on Ireland getting past the quarters to be honest ,

The walking wounded -- Henshaw and Kearney -- the fragile-- Earls and Carberry -- injuries waiting to happen --Sexton and to a lesser extent Murray and Ringrose-- and then perm any 2 from the forwards although the backup forwards are closer in ability than the backup backs and therefore not as likely to affect the performance of the team . But the forwards could be collectively carrying bumps etc which could affect the performance of the pack by the time of the quarters .

For Ireland to beat either New Zealand or the South Africans the team really needs to in prime condition and my view by that stage Ireland will be down to three cylinders.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

Dublin4
Warrior
Posts: 1091
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Dublin4 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:43 am

Conway and Larmour for Earls and Kearney.
They say Kearney has a tight calf. Not clear where the calf is.
O'Mahony to edge Conan.

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6481
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by rumncoke » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:10 am

The only asset Kearney has is his sureness under the highball and there is little difference between Conway and Earls — earls might have a bit more pace .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist

Liam Williams
Novice
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Liam Williams » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:46 pm

I met a player on holidays in Tenerife who used to play international rugby with Rob Howley. He told me his nick-name was 'Jack'. I asked why Jack?. He said "Im alright Jack"...

User avatar
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 6864
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:58 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Japan RWC

Post by againstthehead » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:11 am

rumncoke wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:57 am
Not to sure how you could really "fix" an International setting in an assistant coaches bench to be honest. 'Fixing' would require the input of players but in the end it comes down to the type of bet -- I know that in las Vegas on the Super bowl the number of bets available was well into the hundreds.

The unfortunate thing is a "gambler " will have bet on anything .

Anyway what has gambling to do with the RWC other than I wouldn't bet on Ireland getting past the quarters to be honest ,

The walking wounded -- Henshaw and Kearney -- the fragile-- Earls and Carberry -- injuries waiting to happen --Sexton and to a lesser extent Murray and Ringrose-- and then perm any 2 from the forwards although the backup forwards are closer in ability than the backup backs and therefore not as likely to affect the performance of the team . But the forwards could be collectively carrying bumps etc which could affect the performance of the pack by the time of the quarters .

For Ireland to beat either New Zealand or the South Africans the team really needs to in prime condition and my view by that stage Ireland will be down to three cylinders.
Absolutely agree that Ireland need to be at full strength for the QFs. Ireland have a relatively straightforward group so i think the QF can be targeted okay. Scotland can put up a fight on their day and if Japan get a good win over Russia then they will spirited for game 2. Russia will be a walkover. Samoa could be feisty depending on whether they are still in with a shout for qualification.

Ireland have an exceptional pack if the guys are on form and excellent half-backs. Can definitely target a QF and win it. After that, I reckon the squad will be thinned out. Even the bench this weekend looks average at best.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'

Dublin4
Warrior
Posts: 1091
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Dublin4 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:35 am

Disagree about the bench. I think it's way stronger than 2015 with the injured players to come back as well.
I agree with your analysis of the group and how it should play out. We beat Scotland comfortably in Murrayfield in February. Hard to see a different result.
Joe will play a completely fresh team for the QF, and my hunch is that we will play NZ.

Aird
Initiate
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:29 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Aird » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:05 pm

As expected us foreigners are excluded from RTE and the Eir coverage both on the Sky platform and via Freeview.. We are stuck with the “ neutral” ITV pundits and commentators.

User avatar
solidarity
Warrior Chief
Posts: 1657
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Re: Japan RWC

Post by solidarity » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:02 pm

Our own, our very own Pete Nelson playing for Canada.

All the very best, lad, from all of us at UAFC.

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5517
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Neill_M » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:10 pm

Aird wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:05 pm
As expected us foreigners are excluded from RTE and the Eir coverage both on the Sky platform and via Freeview.. We are stuck with the “ neutral” ITV pundits and commentators.

To be expected to be fair. ITV have the exclusive UK rights and Eir the exclusive ROI rights. RTE bought sub rights from Eir for 14 games (all Ireland pool games, all knockout games, today's game and France v Tonga).

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor
Posts: 5517
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:51 am

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Neill_M » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 pm

Saw 2nd half. Japan were very average. Won by 20, bookies had them to win by 39. Ireland and Scotland don't have much to worry about if that is Japan's level.

User avatar
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11329
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Shan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Neill_M wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:12 pm
Saw 2nd half. Japan were very average. Won by 20, bookies had them to win by 39. Ireland and Scotland don't have much to worry about if that is Japan's level.
Saw most of it. The Japan full back is a major liability. The poor fecker can't catch a ball. I expected a lot more from them. Maybe they are holding back a bit.....like us. :)
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

User avatar
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11329
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Shan » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:56 pm

The Ireland squad named will have no excuses. This is a game we expect to win.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

User avatar
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11329
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Shan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:55 am

Australia win game they were expected to win. Fiji played well until the 60 minute mark but you always knew Australia would pull away in the end.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

User avatar
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Posts: 11329
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:55 pm
Location: Limerick

Re: Japan RWC

Post by Shan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:04 am

Well France almost made a balls of it but just managed to win.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.

Post Reply