In defence of Joe’s selection policy

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

promenader
Novice

Re: In defence of Joe’s selection policy

Post by promenader »

Individual, close run matches may sometimes turn on luck - the bounce of a ball, a referee's decision, a fluffed kick, etc. These things tend to even out over a series of matches, however, so that over a league campaign or a tournament the best team comes out on top. Ireland finished top of the 6 Nations and were deserved winners. Any other reading of that is perverse.
John_e_boy
Squire

Post by John_e_boy »

[quote="Russ"

Just to clarify

1. You cannot push early at a scrum
2. You cannot bore in on the hooker at a scrum

Walsh bottled the penalty to Ireland[/quote]

Just to clarify further:

1 - early shove is a free kick
2 - boring in is a penalty (not pushing straight)

Pedant alert over!!
:D
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

John_e_boy wrote:[quote="Russ"

Just to clarify

1. You cannot push early at a scrum
2. You cannot bore in on the hooker at a scrum

Walsh bottled the penalty to Ireland
Just to clarify further:

1 - early shove is a free kick
2 - boring in is a penalty (not pushing straight)

Pedant alert over!!
:D[/quote]

Aye. What he said
dcpete
Novice

Post by dcpete »

Guy Easterby's polite rebuff of Leamy's complaint:

"I do think our guys had a bit of a head start because of Joe and the way that he goes about his business," the former Ireland scrum-half said.

"So many people are alluding to it – you listen to Chris Henry, Andrew Trimble and Paul O'Connell, and there's no doubt the level of expectation that Joe has from his players is huge and the detail, all those things that people talk about... our guys had a head start.

"But, Andrew Trimble has been one of the players of the Championship, before it people would have wondered would he have being starting, so there are obviously opportunities for guys who are able to deliver what Joe wants."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 00612.html
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

One fecking problem in Ireland is there's plenty of people who never want to think we are any bloody good at anything, that we can only win when someone else underperforms or we get a decision in our favour. It's a real pain in the ass but in keeping with our general outlook especially in terms of ourselves in relation to other people in other places.

2009: Apparently we only won the Grand Slam because everyone else was hopeless. Also in the Wales game that year some Irish people focus more on the "luck" of Jones missing the penalty rather than appreciating the wonderful skill of ROG and the wonderful skill and pace of Bowe. F-cking ridiculous.

Now we have the same old stuff. We only won because the ref didn't give France a penalty at the end, despite the fact we should have been awarded a free for early pushing. Yes concentrate on an imagined penalty rather than focus on our wonderful play throughout the championship, from our scrums and lineout excellence to our incredible breakdown work, our 9 & 10 controlling the games beautifully most of the time and our centre defence which was generally excellent, as well as outstanding performances from Trimble and Kearney, very consistent and solid displays by the inexperiened Kearney as well as our very good use of the bench, one or two little question marks aside in relation to possible more belief required by the coach in Jackson in a couple of the games.

Tight games will always have one or two moments which can be magnified and held up as reasons why "we woz lucky or we woz robbed". Why bother. We won and now we have a ton of work to do to ensure our squad pushes on to achieve further success. That is all that should really matter. With Joe at the helm I'd be hopeful of us going the right way. He showed this campaign he was able to make some tough calls and it doesn't really matter if we agreed with everyone of them as his vindication comes from a Championship win, not the adulation or otherwise of some folk on the internet.

Gwan Joe and Gwan Ireland.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Well put Shan.
Joes priority above all else was to create a winning team that players would want to play for and supporters would want to support.
He achieved that incredibly by delivering a championship and playing the All Blacks off the pitch for the guts of an hour.

Fantastic stuff but it will not be lost on him that England have emmerged from the 6 nations in the best shape for the future.
Only 3 of their 40 man squad will have reached 30 by the time the next World Cup comes around as Lancaster has been building for the last 3 years whereas we have been a shambles for most of that period which has gone to waste.
They are only going to get better whereas I fear a lot of our 6 nations side will be on the slide by then.
Joe could really do with another 2 years before the WC but I always believed he is the man and those who didn`t should really start now.
Last edited by bazzaj on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:Well put Shan.
Joes priority above all else was to create a winning team that players would want to play for and supporters would want to support again.
He achieved that incredibly by delivering a championship and playing the All Blacks off the pitch for the guts of an hour.

Fantastic stuff but it will not be lost on him that England have emmerged from the 6 nations in the best shape for the future.
Incredibly only 3 of their 40 man squad will have reached 30 by the time the next World Cup comes around as Lancaster has been building for the last 3 years where we have been a shambles.
They are only going to get better whereas I fear a lot of our 6 nations side will be on the slide by then.
Joe could really do with another 2 years before the WC but I always believed he is the man and those who didn`t should really start now.
This is why it is referred to as Kidney's reign of terror
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

pythagoras wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
pythagoras wrote:
loosehead1984 wrote:
dcpete wrote:On the eve of the France game he said: "I think what rankles with Munster people – and I suspect some folk in Ulster – is that guys who aren't first choice in Leinster are still good enough for the national squad...The World Cup is just a year and a half away. The circle will need to be widened and not having done that in the Six Nations narrows the opportunities."
Actually, I think that statement has a lot of merit to it.
I agree.
Ireland were a whisker away from finishing 3rd this season (I'm referring to Walsh's failure to give France a pen at the last scrum).
and we were within a TMO referral, on the try against the post, of being comfortable winners. So that reasoning is just kack.
Not really SW.
You'll doubtless be familiar with the disclaimer :
"Past Performance is not an Indicator of Future Results"

Well just because SW ( the other one) didn't call a knock on for the french try is no guarantee that he wouldn't thereafter call a pen for the irish collapse at the last scrum.
Referees miss things throughout the game and they all have an impact on the game. You could suggest that these thing even out. He missed the knock on and he missed the collapsed scrum if indeed it was as you say. However, he didn't miss the forward pass.
This is fact, when the final whistle was blown Ireland had more points than France. The rest is just the story of how that point was reached.