Nigel Owens

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Nigel Owens

Post by againstthehead »

A bit on France V England. Nice piece I thought. Love the the bit:
'And he cites the example of a game recently, which he attended as a spectator. He was sitting in the main stand at Llanelli in a Heineken Cup tie, when the referee penalised the home side.
“The crowd went up as one in fury,” he recalls. “People were shouting out: ‘This referee is bent.’ And this bloke about two rows in front of me – he’s no idea I’m there – shouts: ‘No, the only bent referee is Nigel Owens.’ He thought he was being funny. As people pointed out that I’m sitting right behind him, the guy goes as red as a Scarlets shirt. He turns to me and says: ‘Sorry, Nige, mate, no offence.’ So I said to him: ‘Hey don’t worry, I may be bent off the field, but I’m not on it.’ ”'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... rance.html
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Nigel Owens

Post by Russ »

Sensational

So worth its own thread
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

First useful thing you have posted in a while Against, these occasional moments make you slightly less tiresome though only by a small degree.

Nigel is of course the best or close to the best around at present and it's that empathy he mentions that does the trick, no surprise at all that he often is found in the middle of some of the games of the season.
I'd take him right now for our quarterfinal.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

As someone pointed out, there are 3 french sides in the other QFs so it's Poite for us. Nige will ref toulon - leinster I'd say.

he should be a model for all referees. referees should be made to watch his games and this should be the standard we're aiming for. The inconsistency between referees is frightening. It's hard enough to assess your opponent but assessing the referee is just as important these days.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
cbusbyni
Novice

Post by cbusbyni »

againstthehead wrote: he should be a model for all referees. referees should be made to watch his games and this should be the standard we're aiming for. The inconsistency between referees is frightening. It's hard enough to assess your opponent but assessing the referee is just as important these days.

I understand what your saying and there is no doubt that he makes games a good spectacle. However, there are parts of the game that he doesn't bother reffing in an effort to let the game flow. Have a look at the next game he refs and watch for attacking players 'sealing off' at every opportunity- he effectively doesn't allow a contest at ruck time.

That being said, his ability to build a good, yet firm rapport with the players is second to none- although its only his personality that allows him to get away with this, if most refs tried it they'd look/ sound ridiculous!

Sent from my HUAWEI W1-U00 using Tapatalk
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Also heard he's a bit of a Prima Donna in his standards re accommodation etc no three or four star hotels private shower but then why should he accept less than the players except Nigel will say what he wants!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

cbusbyni wrote:
againstthehead wrote: he should be a model for all referees. referees should be made to watch his games and this should be the standard we're aiming for. The inconsistency between referees is frightening. It's hard enough to assess your opponent but assessing the referee is just as important these days.

I understand what your saying and there is no doubt that he makes games a good spectacle. However, there are parts of the game that he doesn't bother reffing in an effort to let the game flow. Have a look at the next game he refs and watch for attacking players 'sealing off' at every opportunity- he effectively doesn't allow a contest at ruck time.

That being said, his ability to build a good, yet firm rapport with the players is second to none- although its only his personality that allows him to get away with this, if most refs tried it they'd look/ sound ridiculous!

mmm, not sure about not contesting ruck time. In my mind he allows the defensive side to have a go. If you're on your feet and have rights he'll let you contest and he'll let sides blow folk off the ball as long as they're reasonably on their feet. basically, he avoid blowing his whistle at all costs but if sides are slowing the game down he'll sure blow em up.
cbusbyni
Novice

Post by cbusbyni »

againstthehead wrote:
cbusbyni wrote:

mmm, not sure about not contesting ruck time. In my mind he allows the defensive side to have a go. If you're on your feet and have rights he'll let you contest and he'll let sides blow folk off the ball as long as they're reasonably on their feet. basically, he avoid blowing his whistle at all costs but if sides are slowing the game down he'll sure blow em up.

Pretty hard to contest the ball when the attacking side are off their feet flopping over the ball! In fairness id prefer his style to a ref who goes out looking for pens at every opportunity (like Clancy).

Don't get me wrong, a very good ref who generally ensures you get an exciting game, but he's by no means perfect- his style brings its own problems! IMHO he's not at the level of Joubert, who for me is the best in the world by a distance.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Overall Nige is one of the better refs. Though I feel there are time when he seems to have it in for specific, individual players who have drunk him off about something in the course of the game, and will keep pinging them.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:Overall Nige is one of the better refs. Though I feel there are time when he seems to have it in for specific, individual players who have drunk him off about something in the course of the game, and will keep pinging them.
You mean he penalises repeat offenders? :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

He learnt that Cole is a cheat finally

sent from my crozier
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

He's not a bad ref and I like the way he deals with players most of the time, and of course he does come out with the odd gem now and then. However if one was to conduct a dispassionate review he'd fall short in terms of allowing things to happen which shouldn't happen and his apparent inability to see forward passes.....though on the latter point he is certainly not alone in the modern game.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Should have red carded Mike Brown today.

#noballs
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:Should have red carded Mike Brown today.

#noballs
For being Mike Brown or did he actually do something reprehensible? Farrell should have been red carded, caught him elbow someone in the bake during the mass brawl. Hope the citing officer has sharp eyes.

That said that was as good as I've ever seen Farrell play. boohoo poor wee Ingerlund. >ESAD
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Brown got annoyed that Huget wouldn't give him the ball so went extremely aggressively head to head with him then raised his hand and hit him in the face

Straight red in my book

Nigel had a word, think he got a good quote out of it, but can't remember it