Cian Healy

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Cian Healy

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:I'm definitely not as sympathetic regarding the hit on BOD. It's the tackler's job to make sure he wraps his arms, in my opinion (and not having studied the particular law in question). I don't imagine the law says "you have to use your arms, unless you hit him really feckin' hard in which case just the shoulder is okay."
You are right Yin, initially I thought it was purely shoulder, then that photo shows some use of the arms, but with really poor technique which to me suggests that the only really thing on his mind was a "hit" rather than a tackle. That coupled with the fact that he has wrecked his shoulder should condemn him, but whilst I agree with you I think with that slight evidence of arms used I suspect he will escape with just his injury.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

thecrouch wrote:Warburton has a very peculiar shaped head.
I've seen his particular bonce shape described as "a slap attractor". Seems to work. :D
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Poor wee PJ didn't get to celebrate his try much because of all the afters.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Yep. Reading the law as posted by Neil, i guess it comes down to whether he tried to grasp BOD, or merely flap an arm in his general direction. Could have gone either way, but I think if it was up to me, and I was impartial (neither of which are true) I wouldn't think this constituted a penalty.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:Poor wee PJ didn't get to celebrate his try much because of all the afters.
Don't worry Shammy, he got to celebrate by knocking over the conversion :thumleft:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Postby Scranner » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-XGWHmIVeo
Look at the video again. You'll see that Williams not only 'deliberately plant a sneaky one on Jackson's noggin' but he also went in with the knee to Jackson's thigh.
Looking at that video, there is absolutely no contact/attempted contact with the knee to the thigh. If anything, he is twisting in to make it look as if he is not deliberately going for PJs head with his elbow. The fella is thick as champ, there is no way that he has the brains to think to make 2 dirty shots in the one movement.

And... on the topic of the hit on BOD, having watched it a few times, the tackle attempt is 100% legal, both arms are attempted to wrap, Williams has just gone in so fast with poor form.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Look at the video again. You'll see that Williams not only 'deliberately plant a sneaky one on Jackson's noggin' but he also went in with the knee to Jackson's thigh.
Looking at that video, there is absolutely no contact/attempted contact with the knee to the thigh. If anything, he is twisting in to make it look as if he is not deliberately going for PJs head with his elbow. The fella is thick as champ, there is no way that he has the brains to think to make 2 dirty shots in the one movement.

And... on the topic of the hit on BOD, having watched it a few times, the tackle attempt is 100% legal, both arms are attempted to wrap, Williams has just gone in so fast with poor form.
That's as convincing an argument as I've heard Fuzzy, I'm with you on that & the less hateful Williams also. :thumleft:
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

S.Williams out of the rest of the 6N with a dicky shoulder after his BOD clatter.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

fuzzylogic wrote:

Don't want to get into a protracted argument about this but I had another look and I still maintain that he went in with the knee (or the part of his thigh where it connects with the knee). And being a scuzzbag doesn't take brains. Trevor Brennan is the living proof of that. :lol:
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Scranner wrote:
fuzzylogic wrote:

Don't want to get into a protracted argument about this but I had another look and I still maintain that he went in with the knee (or the part of his thigh where it connects with the knee). And being a scuzzbag doesn't take brains. Trevor Brennan is the living proof of that. :lol:
Lucky for you Brennan is not here or ye'd get a quare oul skelp tae the lug. >threaten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Unfit Davy Wilson seems to think he won;t last longer than an hour against Ireland. Hope Cian Healy reads this, licks his chops & says "you are being ambitious pal, I'm retiring you after 20. I suspect this is Ireland's chance to avenge the humiliation visited upon Angry Tom & the team in general what Fattie Ross wimped out. Chance of redemption all round then.

If Healy can grind this chube's bones then Ireland win.
David Wilson does not expect to make it past the hour mark when he lines up for England against Ireland on Saturday.

An injury to Dan Cole has pressed the Bath prop into Six Nations action on the back of just 47 minutes' playing time since he damaged a calf muscle two months ago.

To add to a tough assignment, Wilson will be up against Lions loosehead Cian Healy as the Irish come to Twickenham with the Grand Slam still a possibility.

Henry Thomas will be waiting on the bench when Wilson's body tells him enough is enough, and that moment could come shortly after half-time.

"I think I'm ready to play on Saturday," Wilson said. "I would have liked one more game to get my match fitness up, but that's the way it goes.

"I've got no idea how long I can play for. As long as possible I guess - that's what I'm aiming for. I want to do as well as I can for as long as I can.

"Maybe 50 or 60 minutes. If I get through that and perform well, I'll be reasonably happy. I'm obviously eager to make a big impact."
Tested

Wilson struggled at times on his club return against Exeter last weekend, but he expects to be in better shape for the experience come Saturday.

"I was well tested in the scrum by Exeter," he said. "It was a fast game and the pitch was heavy.

"It was a good workover and I am happy about that. It was a tough test. It might have looked hard and it was. I worked pretty hard last week so feel I will be 20-30% better this week.

"I'm aiming to do the basics well - scrum well, line-out well, get through that, go for as long as I can and not let anyone down."