Engerland v Ireland

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

interlooter
Warrior Chief

Re: Engerland v Ireland

Post by interlooter »

Was interesting to see the English coaches reactions at the final whistle.
Lancaster and Farrell jumped for joy but rowntree looked like his favourite scrummaging machine had just broke. To have edged the forward battle, it was disappointing to just fall short, but I can't say I was too downcast after we gave England all they wanted on their own field.
if a pig loses it's voice, is it disgruntled?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

interlooter wrote:Was interesting to see the English coaches reactions at the final whistle.
Lancaster and Farrell jumped for joy but rowntree looked like his favourite scrummaging machine had just broke. To have edged the forward battle, it was disappointing to just fall short, but I can't say I was too downcast after we gave England all they wanted on their own field.
Rowntree is pond life
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
interlooter wrote:Was interesting to see the English coaches reactions at the final whistle.
Rowntree is pond life
Russ that is no way to talk about noddys mate bigears.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

I liked the pace and intensity, the commitment, but both sides missed chances to put the game out of sight, if Billy Twelvetrees looked to his right every now and again we had a couple of huge overlaps that even I could have run in.
Samstew
Squire

Post by Samstew »

tigerburnie wrote:I liked the pace and intensity, the commitment, but both sides missed chances to put the game out of sight, if Billy Twelvetrees looked to his right every now and again we had a couple of huge overlaps that even I could have run in.
and if Joubert had looked beyond his nose..............!
Lot's of ifs, buts, whys and maybe's.
I think the home team won, because they were the home team.
If played anywhere else, perhaps a different outcome???
Who know's, who care's?

It wouldn't be the first time that a battle was lost in the process of winning a war >EW
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Bart S wrote:
Harold7 wrote:Pity as we could easily have won that. Sexton wasn't right, he was either concussed or carrying an injury and while players can play through injuries if it is having a negative impact on their performance then they should be replaced and IMO Jackson should have come on. It seemed to me that towards the end D'Arcy was playing first receiver an awful lot and anytime Sexton got it he just kicked it away to nothing. That said Sexton kicked well in the first half and we were unlucky not to reap the rewards of that.

As for BOD I don't get some of criticism here, I thought he had a good game. He even made one or two outside breaks which I haven't seen him do in a while.

Anyway all is not lost. Our points difference is 20 better than England's and 40 odd better than Wales and France so two wins from here should be enough. I've fancied us to win in Paris this season since the NZ game to be honest and if anything I'm even more confident about that now. That said we know the old cliches about France so you can never be sure I suppose. However Schmidt has got us going in the right direction and I think over the next three weeks he will come up with something to special the Frenchies. Italy should take care of itself.

Finally from an Ulster POV I thought Henry and Best both had good games, Trimble was decent but probably not at the level he was against Wales and Henderson had a really strong cameo (ahem at 6). Jackson was only on for a couple of minutes, feck knows what position he lined up at but sure it's another cap but as I say he should have been on earlier.

As for RTE I couldn't believe how within minutes of the final whistle they somehow managed to turn the conversation into another Jackson bashing session. Pretty tiresome at this stage. I actually wish RTE would recognise that a lot of Ulster fans watch these games on RTE and maybe occasionally find an analyst with an Ulster background.

I think McGurk's comment about Madigan was possibly more irksome than the comments regarding PJ. I can understand why they kept Sexton on, given the tightness of the game and his experience of pressure situations. He is still a level above PJ IMHO and if we'd got a penalty opportunity to draw the game late on, I know which one I would rather have had stepping up to take it. The point George Hook made about Ireland previously having ROG/Hump and then ROG/Sexton is valid, although it's not as bad as when we had ROG/Paddy Wallace and I fully expect over the next season or 2 for the gap to reduce and PJ to become a very viable option.

I just saw the comments on RTE to see for myself what the fuss was about.
It would have been worth mentioning to George that England literally did not have a back up 10 at all!

In fairness I just think that Sexton on his day is the best in Europe by a distance and no one can really hold a candle to him as a comparison.
As as a result we have become overly reliant on him and his performance seems to be entirely interlinked with how well we play as a team as he runs the entire show.
Wales as an example dont have that quality in that position so the 10s role is diminished in terms of responsibility within their set up compared to ours.
PJ or Madigan would be more comfortable in that set up and probably would be first picks for them at this moment in time.

Sextons inital ride at international level was a rocky one to get to where he is now and I think that in that position a lot comes down to experience.
Wilkinson and Carter amongst others were played in the centre to find their feet before given the reigns at 10, their coaches recognising the added responsibility in the 10 role, even for what turned out to be the best of them.
In the hands of Joe, he is the right man to groom a viable alternative which may be a season or two yet before we see the finished article at that level.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

No idea if this has any basis in reality or not but I think ROG was a better kicker than Sexton is.
For example, I don't think ROG would have missed 'that' pen against the All Blacks.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

pythagoras wrote:No idea if this has any basis in reality or not but I think ROG was a better kicker than Sexton is.
For example, I don't think ROG would have missed 'that' pen against the All Blacks.
Rodge last year might have done. Rodge in the years before probably wouldn't
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Any one want a programme, PM me. for the usual vetting
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Is the team sheets right in it?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

ColinM wrote:Is the team sheets right in it?
Such as?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Critical to its value down Comber way
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

ColinM wrote:Critical to its value down Comber way
Not if I gave them away free :scratch: or have I missed something
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Kofi Annan wrote:
ColinM wrote:Critical to its value down Comber way
Not if I gave them away free :scratch: or have I missed something
I think Tommy would still care even if it wasn't his own hard earned money that paid for it,,, :D
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red: