Humph was a better goalkicker than ROG :)

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Humph was a better goalkicker than ROG :)

Post by againstthehead »

http://www.thescore.ie/ken-quarrie-plac ... 5-Feb2014/

THE NEW ZEALAND Rugby Union’s Senior Scientist, Ken Quarrie, has completed a study which analyses goal kicking success in the international game from 2002 to 2011.

The highest-ranked Irish kicker was David Humphreys in 16th, who kicked at an 80% success rate over 113 attempts at goal. Ronan O’Gara came in at 35th with a conversion rate of 72% from 352 efforts from the tee.
Paddy Wallace lies 40th overall, having kicked 77% of his 22 attempts as a place kicker for Ireland, while Jonny Sexton is ranked 91st on Quarrie’s list with a 59.6% success rate from 62 attempts over 17 games.

On the downside when under pressure...

Humphreys dropped to 87th when ranked on those ‘clutch’ scenarios, while Paddy Wallace was in 52nd.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Humph was a better goalkicker than ROG :)

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Falls on its Brennan when you see who the "clutch kickers" are, 3 guys who in most circumstances can't hit a cow's crozier with a banjo, Jas.O'Connor, Fran Steyn & Stirling Mortlock. Hit & miss merchants.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Falls on its Crozier when you see who the "clutch kickers" are, 3 guys who in most circumstances can't hit a cow's crozier with a banjo, Jas.O'Connor, Fran Steyn & Stirling Mortlock. Hit & miss merchants.
Fran Steyn took a lot of very high risk long kicks which would not do his stats much good
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Paterson was a kicker who knew exactly what he could and could not kick and if in doubt went for the touch line at penalty time.

The thing missing in the study is the success rate penalty / conversion comparison most penalties are in from the touch line and if in doubt the kicker or captain would go for the line out.

Conversions on the other hand can be close to the touch line and there is no option posssible.

Thus Paterson playing for Scotland , who score few trys would be faced with fewer conversions and could concentrate on those penalties which offered the best opportunity for points.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist