Premeditated Subs?????

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Premeditated Subs?????

Post by bazzaj »

Want to bring up a subject that has become prevelant in the modern game, that of premeditated substitutions.
All teams do it and whilst I agree that the entire squad should be given game time, the recent 6 nations matches have given me cause to wonder if they have an actual diverse effect to teams as opposed to an impact.

It seems a matter of course now at international level that front rows are replaced en mass regardless of how the game is going.
The Italians did this and basically depowered a previously dominant scrum and virtually handed the Scots a position to achieve victory.
In Irelands case Healy and Best were doing similar things to the English front row and they were replaced and the English were allowed to negate the one area we were previously dominating.

I can understand the need to develop and expose a squad but a squad can also develop through a victory which achieves confidence.
The last few minutes of a game can be the most important in a game and if a front row player can make it to 75 minutes surely he can play the full 80.

A scrum penalty was enough to draw the game but we did not have the players on the field at the end capable of forcing one.
Emptying a bench with when the game is won or lost is understandable but when the match is in the balance and players are playing well, it just does not make sense to me.

Not singularly a criticism of Joe, it seems just an accepted part of the game nowadays.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: Premeditated Subs?????

Post by Kofi Annan »

Sorry, your point is..
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I agree Bazza. Particularly at international level. When a game is very close you have to wonder sometimes. Ross looked wrecked but Healy could play on I reckon. The Cowboy always impresses me with his use of the bench.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:Sorry, your point is..

Wondering the same to be honest Jizzer.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

bazzaj wrote:
Emptying a bench with when the game is won or lost is understandable but when the match is in the balance and players are playing well, it just does not make sense to me.
To be honest guys I cant get why you cant get my point .
Its not rocket science for lads of your calibre.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

bazzaj wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
To be honest guys I cant get why you cant get my point .
Its not rocket science for lads of your calibre.
Bazza, I then suggest you never watch a AIL game!
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

At international level,the players on the bench will get less money if they don't get on.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The point is a good one and I agree.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Setanta wrote:The point is a good one and I agree.
Why?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Front rows take all the pressure in the scrum after a bout 60 mins they will be less effective and lose concentration and that is when players get injured especially if faced with a player coming on fresh. A prop only has to get it wrong once to be badly injured.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Front row replacements should be made earlier. Between 50-60 minutes. Waste of time having extra props on the bench if you are only going to change in the last 5 mins with the game in the balance. If you don't trust your subs at 50 minutes they shouldn't be on the bench at all and that comment applies equally to all the subs.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

With the game in the balance , with 5 to go, and no injuries, you would considering putting on a prop! Interesting
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Shan wrote:Front row replacements should be made earlier. Between 50-60 minutes. Waste of time having extra props on the bench if you are only going to change in the last 5 mins with the game in the balance. If you don't trust your subs at 50 minutes they shouldn't be on the bench at all and that comment applies equally to all the subs.
Surely the idea of subs is that they are the best available after the first team is picked. You might know that Player A (a prop) is not good enough for international rugby but he is the best available. Does that mean you don't pick him as a sub (only to be used in case of emergency)?
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Its a 23 man game now. Front row players are instructed to bust their guts for 50-60 mins knowing their jobs are done by then. These guys are carrying more kgs than most other players, are expected to cover ground as much as any and are working hardest when everyone else is getting their breathers.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Bazza. How many substitutions can you make in an AIL game? Question is for Baz only folks so don't help him :D