Ireland v. Italy Live

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland v. Italy Live

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:
bazzaj wrote: Just to pick up on other points, to me POM and Toner have been our real finds of the season and really stepped up to the plate which has been massive to us.
Seriously, POM one of the finds of the season? If you've only found POM this season you've clearly not been doing much looking.

Imagine Ulster's captain had been branded a 'find of the season' by someone on MF. Jeez, you'd think he was some sort of bit-part player on the Munster academy.

Welcome to three years ago.
Slightly harsh Yin, but only slightly. I think it's fair to say the anti-red scales have fallen from several eyes allowing some to see that POM is actually a player. This is no surprise to me.

For Toner on the other hand, I should have known better of course but despite Joe's faith in him I took him for a man with one thing only who Leinster were able to carry with their superiority to most at club level. His carrying & tackling in this 6Ns has surprised me & his ability to go 80 hard minutes as well.

Though happily it is a very rare thing, on the odd occasion when I'm wrong I'm happy to confess & I certainly confess to having completely underestimated Toner......................... just as long as the big streak of pash doesn't make me wrong again by being a 1 campaign wonder >EW :lol:

Cian Healy, now there is a man becoming a monster in front of our eyes. When he first appeared, similarly to Toner, he had one thong that looked superb, his loose game but I wondered if he would manage at scrum time. He was a very young prop of course but boys oh he has developed into a quality item & he is still a juvenile in propping years. If Marty Moore & Jack McGrath develop at anything like the same rate, suddenly from a crisis situation, Irish props will have returned to respectability & better.

For all the slagging he gets here, Conor Murray is also progressing nicely though his back up are all veterans and in time we need to see if the young master at Connacht, Marmion is up to it, the sooner the better, hopefully as soon as the Argentina tests in June.

A fair few decent wingers about & Kearney & soon Payne as natural full backs, Ginger Prince backing up Sexton the natural worries have to be the future of the centres when BOD packs it in this season & D'Arcy possibly after the RWC 2015.

Up front, Rory has a few years in him, POC will do the RWC, Toner, Big Dan, Ryan & possibly Hendy looks ok and we still look well served in the back row with some good young guys getting close to standard.

If that lot were well coached - as we know they will be with JS - there could well be a bit of joy in watching Ireland for a while longer. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I should have added that as a man clearly being groomed as a captain, he has that class attribute that there is no doubt he is a man his team are happy to follow. Serious prospect of becoming Irish captain before too much longer, a couple of years perhaps when his collar grabbing days are a thing of the past.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Neil F wrote:I fear we may get into a semantic argument here but I don't buy the argument that O'Mahony simply had a poor tournament in last year's 6 Nations.He barely featured the year before but was also relatively anonymous. At no stage have I ever felt O'Mahony was a poor player but until this 6 Nations, I also felt he may be destined to be one of those players, like Geordan Murphy or Bob Casey, who looks like a world-beater in a club jersey but who might never make the step to being a major international player. This season, he has proved that notion wrong and I hope he continues to do so. In this regard, his performances this year, in my opinion, would suggest he is a "find", at least for Ireland. As per my first post, I would never doubt what he's offered Munster in the last few seasons.
Definately singing of the same hymn sheet with Neil here.
Can I clarify I never said he was a crap player but he gave a crap performance against England last season.
This year he has definately made a break through at that level.
If its simply a question of wording I will be happy enough to appease the situation from saying rather than being a find of the season he and Devon Toner have made a break through at that level if that suits.
Either way its getting a bit tedious now so I will say that they are both playing well, have found their feet, earned their stripes or whatever and have both made me reassess my doubts from my assertions prior to this season of their capability to play at international level.
Is that OK?
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I am delighted to see a bit of recognition for Devin Toner on here.
We in Leinster could see over the last couple of years that he was coming good and was more than a lighthouse/lamp post.

I have a worry about Cian Healy. Church, as he is known, picked up a serious ankle injury on the Lions Tour and I don't think he has ever recovered. I suspect this may be career threatening but I hope I am wrong. Don't we just love his breaks and ball carrying?

Delighted to see Ferris on the way back and fingers crossed for the lad. What a back row we will have if SOB and Ferris get back in the saddle!

I am off to Paris in the morning with a little bit of expectation but, hey, I was last there in 2006 when we were 41 points down at half time, you just never know with them. Anyway, there's a tad of culture and haute cuisine to get through before Saturday... >seeya
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Dublin4 wrote:
I have a worry about Cian Healy. Church, as he is known, picked up a serious ankle injury on the Lions Tour and I don't think he has ever recovered. I suspect this may be career threatening but I hope I am wrong. Don't we just love his breaks and ball carrying?
I notice he's been wearing ankle supports in matches lately, and he's often taking pictures of himself wearing compression boots after games, but maybe that's just standard recovery for minor knocks?
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:I am delighted to see a bit of recognition for Devin Toner on here.
We in Leinster could see over the last couple of years that he was coming good and was more than a lighthouse/lamp post.

Delighted to see Ferris on the way back and fingers crossed for the lad. What a back row we will have if SOB and Ferris get back in the saddle!

I am off to Paris in the morning with a little bit of expectation but, hey, I was last there in 2006 when we were 41 points down at half time, you just never know with them. Anyway, there's a tad of culture and haute cuisine to get through before Saturday... >seeya
See you there d4

For BOD and Ulster
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Cian Healy, now there is a man becoming a monster in front of our eyes. When he first appeared, similarly to Toner, he had one thong that looked superb,
:shock:

Can't say I had noticed it, but doubt I would think it "superb" if I had. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder, I suppose - each to his own. :lol:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

He's heavily into thongs, you know - why else do you think he wears Baggy trousers? :D
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rocky wrote:He's heavily into thongs, you know - why else do you think he wears Baggy trousers? :D
Cian Healy wears baggy trousers? :shock:

That's something else I've learnt today .... and will instantly forget! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

shamalicious wrote:Image

;-)
Conclusive proof that Healy is totally blanking BOD's left ear
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Deraless wrote:

;-)
Probably worrying about his thong riding up

NB - I have absolutely no idea if thongs do actually ride up, but it wouldn't seem pleasurable to me if they did! :shock:

EDIT: at what level of "fit" does something stop being a jock strap and start being a thong? :duck:
I'm not arguing -
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Deraless wrote:

;-)
Probably worrying about his thong riding up