Where do we go from here?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Maybe a thread required, "Buffs du Vin somme-nous" :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
rocky wrote:Every time Steven Ferris's name appears on an Ulster team sheet has to be seen as a bonus and there is no way (and no point) of predicting when and how often that will happen in the future. It's a bit like certain human activities that are unpredictable, usually out of one's control, and to be enjoyed whenever they happen. Lobster Thermidor anyone? :D
With a lightly oaked chardonnay?
God, I'm so over Chardonnay, oaked or unoaked. Like Beaujolais, there is more drunk per annum than is produced & yes, don;t bother, I do know that one is a grape, the other a region. Entirely unreliable produce by and large.

Then again, at present I'm largely over white wine full stop, those that I would happily drink are mainly beyond my normal wine budget. If I'm going to pay £20 or more for a bottle I prefer a good red. A semi-decent Corton Charlemagne will not be less than £50, that is Chardonnay worth drinking. >EW
Ye see I'm just a simple soul and like a crisp Chardonnay with my seafood. Wouldn't know one of those fancy bottles of wine if I fell over it. I'd like 1/2 a case for 50 notes.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

My favourite wines are the ones I get in Sainsburys for a song. Not the pretend "half price offers" that they do every other week but the genuine wans where a dacent bottle is substantially reduced.

Picked up 2 excellent battles of Chateau Neuf de Pape the other week reduced from £16.99 to £8.50 because another bottle of red had bust and destroyed the labels. Cudn't bate it, especially with a nice leg of lamb :thumleft:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
loosehead1984
Initiate

Post by loosehead1984 »

WINE!

And there I came onto this thread thinking it was a discussion about Ireland's way forward.

What was I thinking!!! :lol:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:My favourite wines are the ones I get in Sainsburys for a song. Not the pretend "half price offers" that they do every other week but the genuine wans where a dacent bottle is substantially reduced.
I will not have the pretend "half price offers" disparaged. >minigun
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
rocky wrote:Every time Steven Ferris's name appears on an Ulster team sheet has to be seen as a bonus and there is no way (and no point) of predicting when and how often that will happen in the future. It's a bit like certain human activities that are unpredictable, usually out of one's control, and to be enjoyed whenever they happen. Lobster Thermidor anyone? :D
With a lightly oaked chardonnay?
God, I'm so over Chardonnay, oaked or unoaked. Like Beaujolais, there is more drunk per annum than is produced & yes, don;t bother, I do know that one is a grape, the other a region. Entirely unreliable produce by and large.

Then again, at present I'm largely over white wine full stop, those that I would happily drink are mainly beyond my normal wine budget. If I'm going to pay £20 or more for a bottle I prefer a good red. A semi-decent Corton Charlemagne will not be less than £50, that is Chardonnay worth drinking. >EW
Ye see I'm just a simple soul and like a crisp Chardonnay with my seafood. Wouldn't know one of those fancy bottles of wine if I fell over it. I'd like 1/2 a case for 50 notes.
Actually Snipe, it's my brother who is the real wine buff in the family but before I became a pauer on a meagre stipend I enjoyed my fair share of quality.

Used to know a guy who ran the wine shop for Superfare in Derry, now I believe in Chill, called Nigel Baber. Nigel was NI wine tasting champ & had some excellent connections. He used to get small amounts of extraordinary things when a really expensive bottle was £3.99 - late 70's - and would look after his regulars with things that would never see the shelves in the shop.

Every bottle NIgel recommended I bought & was never less than happy. That is when I became familiar with Vosne Romanee, Aloxe Corton, Corton Charlemagne & suchlike. Sadly they are now way out of what I would be prepared to pay for a single bottle.

When I left the Maiden City in 1982, Nigel gave me a bottle of 1976 Chateau Latour, and told me to keep it for an occasion in maybe 10 or 20 years. I had planned to drink it as 2000 dawned but fate decreed otherwise. I returned from a Dublin weekend in 1992, 10years later, to find that my 3 year old daughter had blundered into a rack of "keepers" & the only bottle that broke was my 76 Latour.

Of course her being unharmed was the only thing of that mattered in reality & 21 years later she is an Ulster ST holder. :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Too much wine at the weekend to be honest