2014 Autumn Internationals

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Re: 2014 Autumn Internationals

Post by rumncoke »

Woodward had a few key positions covered by players well above the English average

In his 2dr row back row 10 and inside centre and few utility players he could shift about the back line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rumncoke wrote:Woodward had a few key positions covered by players well above the English average

In his 2dr row back row 10 and inside centre and few utility players he could shift about the back line

Yeah we know all that , but who the feck is Rory Payne
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

Kofi Annan wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Woodward had a few key positions covered by players well above the English average

Yeah we know all that , but who the feck is Rory Payne
:scratch: Jared didn't sound Irish enough, so he changed it to "show he's oh so commited to Ireland" as he was professing in the papers maybe?

Anyway, Autumn internationals are a lot more important to assessing the world rankings than the RC or 6N. Due to the way the system works, you only exchange points with those that you play, therefore if you are only playing the NH teams, the highest you can be is 3rd,,, EVER. Due to the number of points in the NH, the average points are much lower than the SH, therefore the peak is lower, and so is the basement.
To elaborate: The figures aren't correct, but for example.

- NH average between the 6 teams would be approximately 76 points. Therefore there are 3 below that 3 above. That means the highest someone can reasonably climb with only wins over these teams would be about 86, that is, by winning consistently over the 3 below and semi consistently on the ones above.
- The SH 3 have an average of 90, meaning there is 2 above 1 a bit below currently. Without New Zealand losing, the highest they can climb is about 94, due to never gaining any points for winning anymore, and SA sitting about 92, there is very few points to be gained by then playing eachother.

As it goes, when 1 team plays another team, the points difference between the teams is assessed, and when one team wins points, the other team loses the same points. Therefore the higher one team climbs, the less points they win by defeating the same opponent, creating a ceiling for NH clubs without beating non-NH's.

Due to the points transferring between teams, to raise the average of the NH is impossible without stealing points from another area, which realistically isn't worth it unless it's the SH.
Therefore the only outlets for actually improving the NH / SH rankings devide is the summer tour, and the AI's. This makes them more important to the world rankings than the 6N or RC.
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

You should post that on bakebook MattMo, see if anyone understands it.

(I do, and find it quite useful - it would just be an enjoyable to watch, negative-IQ-clusterfeck)
It's the hope that kills you.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The points are reduced somewhat in the AIs by home advantage. I think the home team is boosted by 3.Neutral venues and double points in the world cup of course.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

As previously stated a semi scientific method which means little because England have run up about 4 defeats against the ABs in 7 months which knocks them back and their AI schedule also includes SA and Os all games against major opposition . Every NH side would struggle against England when they play at home because the refs let their forwards get away with all manner of foul play .

One thing I have noticed is that refs a failing to penalise players joining the maul in front of the ball which is of course coming in from the side

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The IRB rankings are statistical mumbo-jumbo. The only important ranking is that Ireland are the best team in world.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Second best team in the world; Ulster are the best team in the world. :D
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Setanta wrote:Second best team in the world; Ulster are the best team in the world. :D

Oh for feck sake, this is getting worse than bakebook.

SUFTUM
It's the hope that kills you.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

What do you mean 'GETTING'?
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Setanta wrote:What do you mean 'GETTING'?
I'm only here

Catching fecks

Madigan to feck up big style on Sat

AAC to have a field day cutting lines on Zebo
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

AAC cuts lines against anyone.
He is the best at doing that in my humble opinion in world rugby.

Madigan was impressive when he came on.
Your main fears on this thread have all been alleviated Russ, I am sure you are delighted to know.

On another note;
Brian Moore stated when Wales took the lead against the ABs with 10 mins to go , "I cant see any reason in the World why Wales can`t go on and win this now `.
The reason that lept to my mind at that point was that they never do.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

WHat a strange game, wales had NZ on the rack for 65-70 mins. Without Carter, NZ are looking pretty ordinary at the minute.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

againstthehead wrote:WHat a strange game, wales had NZ on the rack for 65-70 mins. Without Carter, NZ are looking pretty ordinary at the minute.
I don't think anyone could say Barretts play in that last 10 was ordinary. It was NZ who won in that last 10, not Wales imploding. They suddenly started kicking well, catching the ball, hitting tackles hard. They were sloppy up until then

MattMo
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

bazzaj wrote: On another note;
Brian Moore stated when Wales took the lead against the ABs with 10 mins to go , "I cant see any reason in the World why Wales can`t go on and win this now `.
The reason that lept to my mind at that point was that they never do.
I think that's unfair to Brian, what he was saying, "Wales should go on to win this" he then stated "saying they were close is just not good enough if they don't"

He wasn't stating Wales are a good enough team to, he was stating that if they screw this up again, serious repercussions need to happen... They won't though

MattMo