Summer Internationals (Besides Ireland)

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: Summer Internationals (Besides Ireland)

Post by damianmcr »

Spent force? You not watched the recent internationals?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

You are not wrong lw7.
Ruan is like a bottle of fine Chianti Classico, Fourie is like a bin end Two-Buck Chuck.
South Africa is a fantastic and beautiful country, but like the USA from whom they have acquired much of their 'culture', it's lacking is sophistication when it comes to appreciating a virtuoso at his craft.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

damianmcr wrote:Spent force? You not watched the recent internationals?
I have, and he is good, but he is a poor man's Joost van der Westhuizen. Who happens to be the finest scrum half I have ever seen so even a pale imitation can still be good.

Ruan suits us better. It's the Ulster way, don't ye know! :fleg:
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

lw7 wrote:Snipe has been his biggest fan...
'Ruan is as smooth as a smooth thing. He glides and ghosts his way through games as effortless as a zephyr.
His sheer class is unquestionable, but in the same way that some deranged individuals in these parts thought that beagle was a better player, some SA commentators think the spent force that is Fourie du Preez is a better option for the Boks. #moretobepitiedthanscorned' 25/08/13
Snipe I salute your indefatigability :salut: :lol:

So when did Ruan become a better 9 for the Boks than Du Preez?
Is Ruan still a better option for the Boks now?
In what ways (other than turning 32) has Du Preez become a spent force?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

lw7 wrote:
'Ruan is as smooth as a smooth thing. He glides and ghosts his way through games as effortless as a zephyr.
His sheer class is unquestionable, but in the same way that some deranged individuals in these parts thought that beagle was a better player, some SA commentators think the spent force that is Fourie du Preez is a better option for the Boks. #moretobepitiedthanscorned' 25/08/13

Obviously Ruan should be back in Belfast where he is appreciated rather than playing second fiddle to the once again crocked Fourie.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

brad pitt scrummager guy is ruining another game by being unable to drive straight or complete a scrum
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Snipe Watson wrote:
lw7 wrote:

Obviously Ruan should be back in Belfast where he is appreciated rather than playing second fiddle to the once again crocked Fourie.

Sean Fitzpatrick yesterday live on Sky said the following regarding Fourie Du Preez " He epitomises a world class player. Quite outstanding. Still playing now. Still at the top of his game. Probably the BEST HALF BACK in WORLD RUGBY at the moment" :duck: ..just saying :lol:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

lw7 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
lw7 wrote:

Sean Fitzpatrick yesterday live on Sky said the following regarding Fourie Du Preez " He epitomises a world class player. Quite outstanding. Still playing now. Still at the top of his game. Probably the BEST HALF BACK in WORLD RUGBY at the moment" :duck: ..just saying :lol:
Sean Fitzpatrick is a dumb as dirt kiwi. What would a hooker know about halfback play anyway?
lw7, before your head implodes, there's no need to take everything posted by me to be: A. entirely true
B. my actual opinion or indeed any combination or A&B.
Liam Williams
Novice

Post by Liam Williams »

lw7 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
lw7 wrote:

Obviously Ruan should be back in Belfast where he is appreciated rather than playing second fiddle to the once agaiplanet :D

Well that just shows he's not seen Cawdor - My team-mate down in Llanelli - finest 9 on the planet!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
I have, and he is good, but he is a poor man's Joost van der Westhuizen. Who happens to be the finest scrum half I have ever seen so even a pale imitation can still be good.

Bejabbers Snipe I didn't know you were but a child, you never saw Gareth Edwards?

Considering his awful Welshness its a credit to him that he was the finest player I have ever seen never mind scrum half.

Barry John was quality but he became superb when with Edwards, Edwards on the other hand, needed nobody to make him stupendous.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Bejabbers Snipe I didn't know you were but a child, you never saw Gareth Edwards?

Considering his awful Welshness its a credit to him that he was the finest player I have ever seen never mind scrum half.

Barry John was quality but he became superb when with Edwards, Edwards on the other hand, needed nobody to make him stupendous.
Gareth Edwards was from a different era and how can we compare professional and amateur? I was at primary school when he was in his pomp and I was more interested in Gerd Muller.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Edwards is generally acknowledged as the best ever player as I think he has topped just about every poll I have ever seen with regards to that.
The main reason is that there are greats like Willie John, Gerald Davies, Mervyn Davies, Gibson, Frik du Preez, from that era who you would debate may not have had a similar impact in the modern era, due to the way the game has moved on particularly physically.
Edwards however is percieved to have the game and stature that would have transcended any era.

He arrived on the scene when a crucial rule change came along in 1969, which was that you could no longer kick the ball out on the full anywhere on the pitch and be awarded the yardage.
This meant effectively that kicking became tactical rather than a loborious cheap way to earn yardage.
Edwards and John subsequently revolutionised half back play in terms of a kicking game which even the New Zealanders could not live with.
It seems that in those days the Northern Hemisphere were setting the trends for the Southern Hemisphere to follow in contrast to anytime before or since.

Comparing Edwards to Joost is tricky as he is the man that man marked Jonah Lomu out of a world cup final.
In fact Lomu never scored an international try against South Africa and that may well be down to Joosts defence, something he maybe doesnt get credit for as people tend to remember him for his multitude of tries.
Edwards however has the edge for me as he was also playing behind an inferior pack in the 71 Lions tour and was still unplayable, something which I dont think any Springbox 9 in history has had to do.

Honourable mentions in dispatches for Nick Farr Jones, Sid Going, George Gregan and Ken Catchpole (who apparently invented the dive pass which isnt bad).
However in any era for my mind, Edwards and Joost are 1 and 2 by a distance.