Greatest ever xv

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Greatest ever xv

Post by BaggyTrousers »

lw7 wrote:As this whole topic is pure fantasy How about a cross code dual with the following players I've watched play league -

1 Crusher Cleal, 2 Anthony Watmough, 3 Dave Taylor, 4 Gordon Tallis, 5 Brad Thorn, 6 Luke Lewis / Sam Thaiday, 7 Matt Scott, 8 Sam Burgess
9 Andrew Johns/ Shaun Edwards, 10 Wally Lewis / Jonathan Thurston, 11 Martin Offiah / Jason Robinson, 12 Mal Meninga / SBW, 13 Ellery Hanley, 14 Greg Inglis, 15 Israel Falou / Billy Slater
Burn him, heretic. :roll:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Thing is Russ I love boshfests!

Me to Jizzer but I love a UNION boshfest. A boshfest in 5 tackles & a kick is impossible, did you notice that for some reason when a player goes to ground the game stops.

Waste of time in my opinion,plus I have no idea who most of those named are, is much a waste of time as that other "rugby" abomination - 7s. I regret that Union didn't trademark the name of "RUGBY" for 15-a-side to protect rugby's good name from plastic imitators. >threaten
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:
Always think that we never saw the best out of some of the great players coming across to union like Andy Farrell as it was hard to pin down what position they was actually suited to.
That would be because they don't play rugby, they come into rugby & need to learn and find a position, many have failed miserably to do so.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

bazzaj wrote: Cheers lw7 but I would have DL as a 15 every time.
I agree that Lockyer would have made a very wise, structured 15 having excelled at both 1 and half back.

Billy Slater is my pick however. His game has matured. He can read plays like Lockyer.
With his athleticism he is more involved than any other RL fullback i've ever seen.
40+ touches in a game for the Storm, more than many half backs.

He patented the art of fipping tryscorers on their backs.
Fantastic jump for a 5ft 10. Electric acceleration.
He would have made a useful 13 too Baggy :lol: ..
Last edited by lw7 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Yep he wasnt bad and I will bow to your greater knowledge on that one lw
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

lw7 wrote: He would have made a useful 13 too Baggy :lol: ..
I neither know nor care :roll:
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

I have fond memories of league albeit back in the day when it was a winter sport and still followed by men in flat caps, many of whom were employed down t'pit. Used to have a few bevvies in a pub with a crown green attached before going to the ground. Great atmosphere at the game too. Very dry Northern humour and tremendous passion in the ground when the visitors were from the other side of the pennines (or Wigan). Used to repair to a working men's club in Haydock afterwards. A great day out in the days when union didn't offer a comparable social experience.

Probably nowt like that now.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Expect more cross coding in the future.
Kurtley Beale almost signed for the St George Dragons and has stated that he would like to play for the Kangaroos.
Queensland Reds have just signed RL Test player Karmichael Hunt who (unlike Folau) excelled at AFL.
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Remember the name. Will be playing at one for the Roosters next year when MiniC retires. Coveted by NZRU for a cross code move in the future.
Last edited by lw7 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

On BT Sport Dallagio & Kay stated Sam Burgess should play at 12. They're wrong.
SB is 6ft 5 and over 18 stone of grizzled muscle. His workrate in the NRL is staggering.
Over 30 tackles and similar carries per game. He may be initially employed at centre.
But he physically can't work space in the way a genuine test centre could, has an untried kicking game and hasnt had to deal with kick chases/ returns. Smaller quicker experienced centres could make him look a complete novice.
With his stamina and skill set, given a freed role in the pack He could possibly redefine back row play. Let fellow back rowers concentrate on the breakdown.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

SB will have some job displacing Eastmond or Joseph in the Bath middle if they continue ripping teams apart (ok Leicester were missing Allen & Manu yesterday but nevertheless). It's taken young Kyle three tough full seasons to master union back play. Whatever happens SB has picked the right club and in Ford senior the best coach to make the transition work. He could of course be back playing in Sydney before you could say 'Russell Crowe' :lol:
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

big mervyn wrote:Watched quite a bit of Maninga when he was with St Helens for a season. Amazing player and no coincidence that Saints enjoyed their only successful season in a lengthy barren spell.

BM That was the year Ellery Hanley scored a hat full of tries before his switch to Wigan.
Did you get to see the 'Viv Richards of Rugby League' play in the flesh?
There was quite a bit of League coverage on the BBC back then and I remember him as a compelling player who had it all and could play in the pack/centre/halves/anywhere!!
Liam Williams
Novice

Post by Liam Williams »

I'm the greatest Full Back ever to draw breath. But, it's going to take another whole twelve months for you lot to realise it.
I'm a lot like JPR but thicker, fitter and better! (So I'm told)
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Liam Williams wrote:I'm the greatest Full Back ever to draw breath. But, it's going to take another whole twelve months for you lot to realise it.
You must have enjoyed being the greatest ever in .5p's pocket
Liam Williams
Novice

Post by Liam Williams »

My mates say I'm in pole position. I like 1/2p, but he has a long wait to wear the national 15 jersey again.
I'm feeling really strong now.
Evil Kiwi
Novice

Post by Evil Kiwi »

Liam Williams wrote:I'm the greatest Full Back ever to draw breath. But, it's going to take another whole twelve months for you lot to realise it.
Sonny Bull, Tim-Nanai, Nuck......not you, don't exist in world rigby. Are you that chimp faced bow-legged scrawny puss licker from england butch country? You couldn't spin a scrotum on yer tuts and fart up a rats Brennan without living it. Yer a possum short of a 3 week cull and I'd say your as thick as yer muther is fat in the ankle. Does us a fava and shove your opinions up yer bum hole! Good lad.