Waste of a good Fiver?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Waste of a good Fiver?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Bangors success was more sustained over a period of time Bagster but I think their fate along with others was sealed with their failure to adapt to professionalism even before Iit 'officially', became so.
The AIL was the catylst for sure.
They had quality players but couldn't keep them as other teams offered opportunities and money that Bangor didn't. or wouldn't.
Others like Ballynahinch the opposite can be said

With CI I just cant think of any other club that had such a brief period of intensified success either side of sweet fa
They fielded one of the best sides in Ulsters history producing a one off team of class players that there seems no apparent reason to account for.
Ards had a few years right enough but Carr and Matthews drove that as they did at Queens prior to that.
I think grumps 42 is about right.
Splitting hairs a bit I suppose, but not so about Carr and Matthews, that team were together a long time and took them from junior to senior status when the two lads were at school. I forgot to mention the two Barkers, still see Willie the odd time at Ravenhill.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I think any team with Carr and Matthews in their ranks at that time would have been up there- they were that good.
Not saying Ards didnt have good players which they did but I dont think it was much of a coincidence that Ards became one of the best sides in Ulster when they arrived and evaporated when they stopped playing for them.

I feel Carr and Matthews had a major impact not just there but with Ulster and Ireland where both had a major influence, culminating with being a part of the 1985 triple crown and Championship winning Irish team.
They also were a major force behind our unbeaten interpro run.

Amazing to think what Carr could have achieved after he was forced to retire at just 27 due to the ra bomb.
He was picked for the Lions against the rest of the world in 86 which was in place of the Lions tour to South Africa and indicates strongly that he would have gone had there been a tour.
Matthews also played for the Lions against France in 89.

I am not trying to overly detract from what Ards achieved at the time but basically any club side would have been transformed with two people of that brilliance in their back row.
It offers an explanation as to why that they had a limited period of success when you originally compared Ards with CI Bagster as basically everywhere they went success followed.
That isnt coincidence.

Looking at the amount of Ards interpro and international players at the time and compare that with that CI team would offer a clue as well.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Eddie Grant if I'm not mistaken scored 3 tries in 4 caps.
He must have wanted to dance through defences.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.