Privatising Irish Rugby???

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Privatising Irish Rugby???

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I don't know how I missed it but I have discovered eventually that 10% of Jamie Heaslip's income comes from my former employers. And I thought all my jokes about my pension money being squandered were hot air.

It now appears that Jahnies return also owes much to a side deal with an interested businessman.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.1929917

I know IRFU don't have the faith of the faithful very often, but do folk consider this a welcome development to assist keeping the provinces - Leinster so far - competitive or is it the thin end of a Welsh smelling wedge.

I foresee Leinster being the major beneficiary of this type of benevolent assistance for obvious reasons so maybe it's time to see if Mr R McIlroy might help a brother out, should the need arise, say to retain Olding, The Future of Ulster or Big Licence The Future of Propping.

I really must consider this and form a definite opinion but if the IRFU can manage it well, not too much downside from what we know. It's those damned unknown unknowns that get you in the long grass. Business seldom hurls cash in a philanthropic gesture, without the real promise of a certain quid pro quo, appearances, tickets, maybe if that's it then fine.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Privatising Irish Rugby???

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I don't know how I missed it but I have discovered eventually that 10% of Jamie Heaslip's income comes from my former employers. And I thought all my jokes about my pension money being squandered were hot air.

It now appears that Jahnies return also owes much to a side deal with an interested businessman.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/e ... -1.1929917

I know IRFU don't have the faith of the faithful very often, but do folk consider this a welcome development to assist keeping the provinces - Leinster so far - competitive or is it the thin end of a Welsh smelling wedge.

I foresee Leinster being the major beneficiary of this type of benevolent assistance for obvious reasons so maybe it's time to see if Mr R McIlroy might help a brother out, should the need arise, say to retain Olding, The Future of Ulster or Big Licence The Future of Propping.

I really must consider this and form a definite opinion but if the IRFU can manage it well, not too much downside from what we know. It's those damned unknown unknowns that get you in the long grass. Business seldom hurls cash in a philanthropic gesture, without the real promise of a certain quid pro quo, appearances, tickets, maybe if that's it then fine.
A quick glance over to Wales will give the IRFU an excellent example of what not to do. The semi privatised model doesn't work, it's neither flesh nor foul and the culture clash of diverging priorities will not mix well.
Once you open the door to privatisation, you are stepping out onto the ice and the further out you walk, the thinner it gets. I don't think the game is big enough to ever satisfy investors. If philanthropists can be satisfied with executive boxes and champers, that's all well and good, but once they have an input to the control of the game or want to see a return on their investment, the problems will start. The danger signs are there.....
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

We could always go down the route of selling naming rights for our players. Anyone for Tayto Trimble, Moy Park Marshall. Brennan's Best etc. I must point out that other makes of crisps, chicken and bread are available.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

waggonsroll wrote:We could always go down the route of selling naming rights for our players. Anyone for Tayto Trimble, Moy Park Marshall. Brennan's Best etc. I must point out that other makes of crisps, chicken and bread are available.
Brennans have pulled out after Friday night so it's 'I can't believe it's not butter fingers Best'.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

waggonsroll wrote:We could always go down the route of selling naming rights for our players. Anyone for Tayto Trimble, Moy Park Marshall. Brennan's Best etc. I must point out that other makes of crisps, chicken and bread are available.
Oh how you jest.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Oh how you jest.
Well they used to sponsor players a few years ago.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Oh how you jest.
Well they used to sponsor players a few years ago.

Looking like BOI are sponsoring Heaslip to the tune of 50-60K per annum. Nice loose change of you can get it or a half-decent pension that I'd kill for to put it another way.

I assume previous sponsorships are not of that magnitude, but here, were they ended or died of unnatural causes?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
waggonsroll
Initiate

Post by waggonsroll »

I seem to remember in a few programmes (think in English premiership and I also think in Wales) that individual players were available for sponsorship by local firms. Assume that this was to the player's benefit, car, free meals etc rather than to the benefit of the club. It might also have been a way of subsidising their wages. I was thinking that the clubs could use this to raise revenue.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Not to long ago Ulster players were getting wages topped up by private companies, old news , nothing to see move on there please >flog
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Denis O'Brien paid half of Trappatoni's salary and he is part funding Martin O'Neill's salary now he is Republic Of Ireland football manager. I don't think he asked for much in return, maybe some exclusive access for his many media outlets or something. Seems to be something of a goodwill thing with him which may also help him with favourable political decisions. His Siteserv company for example got the lucrative water mater contract.

Provided none of these companies gets any influence over the IRFU, which I don't think they would, I wouldn't see any issue. I'm certainly happy to see Irish players being able to stay in Ireland, or in Sexton's case to come home again.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.