Travel to/from The Aviva

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Crusoe
Novice

Travel to/from The Aviva

Post by Crusoe »

Some advice needed from anyone who has had the experience of trying to get away from The Aviva quickly, please.

Was considering an offer to attend the England game on March 1st (taking in our very own home game on the Friday first of course) and was going to attempt to get back up to Aldergrove for 7.45pm (9pm flight).

Having never been to the Aviva, would anyone with experience of the local transport links consider this feasible (game finishes approximately 5pm)? Alternative is flying with Ryan's Portaloos from Dublin, but trying to save money.

Thanks for any advice/derision/comedy in advance.

Robinson
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Re: Travel to/from The Aviva

Post by Wee Woman »

Probably be a fair bit cheaper flying from Dublin tbh.

Unless you leave the game early, you will almost certainly get caught in the droves. It could take up to an hour to reach Dublin Airport nevermind Belfast International Airport.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Not a chance of making that flight
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Would say it could be done pretty easily by car but not a snowballs chance in hell by public transport, strategic parking on the side nearest the East Wall toll bridge, then the Tunnel and then put the foot down 2.5 hours as long as no eejit crashes in front of you and blocks the road.
Anyway a 9pm flight you dont need to be there at 7:45
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Crusoe
Novice

Post by Crusoe »

Thanks very much one and all - looks like if I do go, it will have to be Dublin Airport then. Having driven to BF International three times recently when home recently, I don't fancy trying to break the land speed record to get there. Got 'photographed' overtaking some kerb crawler on a Sunday morning; never got a ticket so not keen to try again.

Thanks again. :thumleft:
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Crusoe wrote:Got 'photographed' overtaking some kerb crawler on a Sunday morning; never got a ticket so not keen to try again.

:thumleft:
Not big. Not clever.
In fact just dangerous and obnoxious.

Your post suggests that the 'kerb crawler' was the real idiot of the tale, and you in fact were just unlucky to have been caught speeding a little.

Someone is obeying the speed limit, and driving within their own limits? WTF! How dare they? I've got to be somewhere, pronto, and I'll be damned if I'm going to get held up by Captain Sensible. Any anyway, the speed limit doesn't count on a Sunday morning - no-one's on the roads anyway!

Try leaving a bit earlier. Try not risking the lives of yourselves, what passengers you had, and other road users. And try not to act like it's all a big feckin hoot.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Crusoe
Novice

Post by Crusoe »

Thanks for the advice - didn't get a ticket because I wasn't breaking the speed limit. It remains debatable whether 'driving within their own limits' involves going so slow it's hard to tell if they were actually moving, but neither did I claim the guy/woman was an idiot either.

It seems the peelers are regularly there of a Sunday morning,so then I had better not attempt to drive all the way back from Dublin at anything like huge speeds. But I realise the way I phrased it made it seem like I was attempting to take off, a feat made somewhat impossible by the little Peugeot I was driving.

Cheers all the same for the effort you put into your chastening rant.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Crusoe wrote:Thanks for the advice - didn't get a ticket because I wasn't breaking the speed limit. It remains debatable whether 'driving within their own limits' involves going so slow it's hard to tell if they were actually moving, but neither did I claim the guy/woman was an idiot either.

It seems the peelers are regularly there of a Sunday morning,so then I had better not attempt to drive all the way back from Dublin at anything like huge speeds. But I realise the way I phrased it made it seem like I was attempting to take off, a feat made somewhat impossible by the little Peugeot I was driving.

Cheers all the same for the effort you put into your chastening rant.
Fair play Crusoe, I wouldn't have been as much of a gentleman as yourself when responding to an unprovoked rant! :thumleft:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Crusoe
Novice

Post by Crusoe »

No worries No 9 - here on the island I've learned life's too short for arguing with everyone over things that barely matter :)