Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Post by mikerob »

Shan wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Sorry, i don't get it, the ambition other than having it should be bigger and better, we aint going to do that with some of the country bumkin stadiums. we will not get it as a single country :duck:
Didn't realise Ireland was united now Kofi. Believe we are trying to get this as one country plus our wee country. World rugby may believe tis two countries. Should be no bother then. :D
I can just see Marty in a number 6 jersey handing the RWC to Iain Henderson (that ended up being his best position...) :stir:
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

mikerob wrote:The whole thing will just be decided on horse trading anyway.

Ireland will offer games out to stadiums in Wales, Scotland, England... anywhere... to get votes.

Maybe two of the bidders will get together to stitch up the third - so Ireland tells S Africa - you vote for us in 2023 and we'll vote for you in 2027.

And World Rugby will be mainly interested in broadcast and sponsorship money. I'm sure they want the likes of Sky, BT etc. all bidding against each other and I don't know if the location will make a difference to how much broadcasters will bid.
That could get interesting if the IRFU go down the same road again with Sky.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Mike , Ireland want it only on this island , pay attention man
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I hope to god we get it because if we don't it'll be resurrected every 4 years.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-rugby-wo ... 3-Dec2014/
IRELAND’S BID TO host the 2023 Rugby World Cup has hit its first snag today after the high court in Belfast refused to grant planning permission to redevelop Casement Park.
The Belfast venue was tipped to be one of the grounds included in a bid but that could be in jeopardy after the court’s decision.
“Planning permission for the proposed redevelopment of Casement Park has been denied in the High Court in Belfast,” the GAA said on their website.
Local residents objected to the proposed expansion, which led to today’s ruling.
“We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s decision by Mr. Justice Horner,” said Tom Daly, Chairman of the Casement Park Project Board.
The proposed redevelopment of Casement Park would have provided the opportunity of a world class provincial stadium for the GAA and the broader community in the heart of Belfast. The project would also have provided much needed economic and social benefits to West Belfast and beyond, including financial investment, new jobs, apprenticeships and community projects.
“The new stadium would also have supported the GAA’s plan to develop and grow grassroots Gaelic Games within the city and the county of Antrim. Over the coming weeks we will reflect on this decision and consider what the next steps are for Casement Park.”
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UlsterNo9 wrote:http://www.thescore.ie/ireland-rugby-wo ... 3-Dec2014/
IRELAND’S BID TO host the 2023 Rugby World Cup has hit its first snag today after the high court in Belfast refused to grant planning permission to redevelop Casement Park.
The Belfast venue was tipped to be one of the grounds included in a bid but that could be in jeopardy after the court’s decision.
“Planning permission for the proposed redevelopment of Casement Park has been denied in the High Court in Belfast,” the GAA said on their website.
Local residents objected to the proposed expansion, which led to today’s ruling.
“We are deeply disappointed by the outcome of today’s decision by Mr. Justice Horner,” said Tom Daly, Chairman of the Casement Park Project Board.
The proposed redevelopment of Casement Park would have provided the opportunity of a world class provincial stadium for the GAA and the broader community in the heart of Belfast. The project would also have provided much needed economic and social benefits to West Belfast and beyond, including financial investment, new jobs, apprenticeships and community projects.
“The new stadium would also have supported the GAA’s plan to develop and grow grassroots Gaelic Games within the city and the county of Antrim. Over the coming weeks we will reflect on this decision and consider what the next steps are for Casement Park.”
Not strictly true as Judge Horner did not stop the planning permission but wanted some things clarified.
Northern Ireland's environment minister acted unlawfully in approving a new GAA stadium in west Belfast, a High Court judge has ruled.

Planning permission for the 38,000-seater stadium was granted by Mark H Durkan in December 2013.

Local residents who objected to the size of the planned development launched a legal challenge in response.

Mr Justice Horner held that the decision-making process was "fundamentally flawed".
Bigger crowds

He identified failures in the environmental impact assessment of the increased facilities and an unrealistic reliance by the Department of the Environment (DoE) on an existing 32,600 capacity as a baseline for the project.

With far fewer spectators normally attending matches at the current ground, the judge also found that the effect of bigger crowds on the surrounding roads network had not been properly examined.
The judge also pointed to the minister never being told of police concerns about safety issues around having 38,000 people attending an event.

While he did not rule on whether the failure to inform Mr Durkan of these concerns was deliberate or accidental, he concluded that it had denied him the opportunity to consider all relevant evidence.

However, he did not quash the minister's decision.

Instead, lawyers for the DoE, the GAA and a residents group who mounted the legal challenge are to make further submissions on appropriate remedies.

Mr Durkan said he remained hopeful that "there might be a positive outcome to this".
'Disappointing day'

Asked for his reaction to the judge's statement that his decision-making had been "fundamentally flawed", Mr Durkan said: "I made what I said at the time was the right decision. I still stand by the decision I made on sound planning grounds. However, the judge has decided that is not the case."

He added: "I'm hopeful that when parties reconvene on Wednesday that common sense will prevail. This is a disappointing day, not just for me and my department, but also for the GAA."
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

I heard someone on the radio recently going on about the madness of the GAA building big stadia with state of the art floodlighting when most are used rarely and even more rarely are filled to capacity.
Part of the problem he alleged was inter-county rivalry where every county had to have its big stadium.
Hard to disagree with him.
How often is casement park going to have a decent sized crowd? Especially as Antrim are usually well down the Ulster pecking order.
How often will the new Parc ui chaoimh for that matter? Unless the other county boards in Munster are willing to divert big championship games there, the answer is very few. As it is, replays excepted, there are only 5 big games in Munster every year, one football and four hurling to be spread around 4 large stadia! Lunacy*.
They just need one decent sized stadium per province and maybe Croke park on top of that.
All these big grounds are great for a rugby world cup bid but otherwise money that would be better going to the grassroots

* I suppose the back door system has added a few more but not clearly not enough
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I was under the impression that a redeveloped Casement would become the stadium of choice for Ulster.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

BR wrote:I was under the impression that a redeveloped Casement would become the stadium of choice for Ulster.
There was talk that European Cup games would be moved there, especially the big ones.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

ruckover wrote:
BR wrote:I was under the impression that a redeveloped Casement would become the stadium of choice for Ulster.
There was talk that European Cup games would be moved there, especially the big ones.
I imagine that was just idle speculation.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

BR wrote:
ruckover wrote:
I imagine that was just idle speculation.
I assume so. Similar to the fictional super stadium that never came to be :roll:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

ruckover wrote:
Not in it's current location.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:
ruckover wrote:
Not in it's current location.
It needs moved

In my opinion this judge's opinion is purely that people should not ever have to set foot in andersons town.

Offer to build them a stadium on the north foreshore
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

or the Maze...?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Sirocco stadium
Gonna Party Like It's 1999