All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: All-Ireland bid to stage 2023 RWC

Post by Shan »

Ulster says NO. What a surprise.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

pythagoras wrote:I heard someone on the radio recently going on about the madness of the GAA building big stadia with state of the art floodlighting when most are used rarely and even more rarely are filled to capacity.
Part of the problem he alleged was inter-county rivalry where every county had to have its big stadium.
Hard to disagree with him.
How often is casement park going to have a decent sized crowd? Especially as Antrim are usually well down the Ulster pecking order.
How often will the new Parc ui chaoimh for that matter? Unless the other county boards in Munster are willing to divert big championship games there, the answer is very few. As it is, replays excepted, there are only 5 big games in Munster every year, one football and four hurling to be spread around 4 large stadia! Lunacy*.
They just need one decent sized stadium per province and maybe Croke park on top of that.
All these big grounds are great for a rugby world cup bid but otherwise money that would be better going to the grassroots

* I suppose the back door system has added a few more but not clearly not enough
An embarassment of riches indeed. But what else would they spend it on? Look around the country post tearing down of Lansdowne Road and most if not all GAA clubs have had fine new buildings and facilities, most counties have their big stadium, Croke can't get enough concerts, Casement was planned to be the same but this decision will ensure its uses are more limited. So once all these stadia are finished, and holding big concerts and RWC games, what will the GAA spend the revenue on??? maybe they could start paying off some of the national debt!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

GAA pitches are too big for rugby, we learned that much when Ireland played at Croke. End of discussion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:Sirocco stadium
Don't be daft, that would be far too sensible :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Why sirocco?
I know it's a wind (and a model of fan heater) but what's the relevance?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

pythagoras wrote:Why sirocco?
I know it's a wind (and a model of fan heater) but what's the relevance?
:roll: uneducated blow ins
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Sirocco Works was beside the Lagan opposite bank from the Waterfront Hall. Sold for apartments and I think the construction company went bust. Now its a sad empty space, prime real estate.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1419288764771.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1419288764771.jpg (63.02 KiB) Viewed 1798 times
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Jackie Brown wrote:Sirocco Works was beside the Lagan opposite bank from the Waterfront Hall. Sold for apartments and I think the construction company went bust. Now its a sad empty space, prime real estate.
Thanks Jackie. Apartments are nasty like Kofi
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

pythagoras wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:Sirocco Works was beside the Lagan opposite bank from the Waterfront Hall. Sold for apartments and I think the construction company went bust. Now its a sad empty space, prime real estate.
Thanks Jackie. Apartments are nasty like Kofi
That's an old photograph and at present the Sirocco Works site is still vacant, the apartments in the area are not that bad, but most are full of prostitutes and Johnny Foreigner . Even some of the players have apartments in that area. (betsy and Rodger must be kicking themselves, I said kicking)
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

I've always thought the Sirocco works would have been the ideal location for a (national or other) stadium - two railway stations within easy walking distance. A short walk across the lagan from the town centre and therefore convenient to restaurants, bars and the rest of the public transport network that already hauls thousands of folk in and out of the city each day. The only down-sides I could see were the proximity to the Odyssey and the potential difficulties of simultaneous events that would create and the lack of any sort of car parking.

In truth the site may just be a little too small for a stadium - but there might be ways around that.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cardoc
Novice

Post by cardoc »

I'm thinking that the case for a stadium at the maze should be brought to the fore again. It could accommodate all 3 sports :stir: it would have excellent parking facilities :cheers: , good road access >EW and sure we could play our quarter finals there >clapping
The Maze have proved that large numbers of people can be moved in and out of the site without any great disruption unlike Belfast which gets gridlocked with big events.
WHY NOT
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

cardoc wrote:I'm thinking that the case for a stadium at the maze should be brought to the fore again. It could accommodate all 3 sports :stir: it would have excellent parking facilities :cheers: , good road access >EW and sure we could play our quarter finals there >clapping
The Maze have proved that large numbers of people can be moved in and out of the site without any great disruption unlike Belfast which gets gridlocked with big events.
WHY NOT
feck off
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Sirocco site is plenty big enough (assuming they demolish the couple of buildings which did make it off the ground). Plenty of parking at Odyssey (if no event clash) and more in the yard. Even then how many people manage to park their cars in town every day? The problem then was that the developers wanted it. The problem now is we've spent the cash.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:Sirocco site is plenty big enough (assuming they demolish the couple of buildings which did make it off the ground). Plenty of parking at Odyssey (if no event clash) and more in the yard. Even then how many people manage to park their cars in town every day? The problem then was that the developers wanted it. The problem now is we've spent the cash.
We still have GAA cash
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.