6 Nations team of tournament and summary

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

6 Nations team of tournament and summary

Post by bazzaj »

Given the time to digest the most sensational day of rugby this poster has witnessed, I believe the most important outcome for me is that it has restored my faith in the 6 nations.
Yes even ahead of the Irish victory.

I just hope that the penny has dropped with these coaches that intensity and urgency is the most effective way that rugby should be played as opposed to the tactical cat and mouse witnessed in the previous games.
It took the points chasing scenario yesterday to show them that but gives real hope going into the world cup.

There was small margins yesterday and momentum changes galore.
The 14 point swing at the end in Italy was crucial with the dropped Welsh pass leading to an Italian score at the end.
Gatland called it that in fairness, that he knew that would cost them.
Similarly the missed Madigan kick at the death which was in my head through the entire English game.

The main difference however was the English were playing a side who did not capitulate and who never went away, to the absolute credit of the French, despite their running the ball at the end to the point that I was actually going insane with laughter.

Yesterday made the job of picking the team of the tournament a darn sight easier.
Here goes,

15- Spedding- Just ahead of Brown who has found form again. This guy stood out on the worst French side in memory
14- Nowell- Sums up the way his club side Exeter play with huge potential.
13-Joseph- Quiet in the last game ironically but crucial tries in others
12- Henshaw- Played his first season so instead of having to find centres, its now Henshaw and one other
11-Liam Williams- Brought in and made a huge difference to the Welsh back 3 in terms of solidity and was no other contender in this position.
10- Ford- Hard call over Sexton but he is a real find and gets the nod for me because of his maturity in one so young but was the only 10 whose first instinct was to attack.
9- Murray- Just over Webb I think but another tough call. His distribution and control just gets it
8- Parisse- The standout 8 in the 6n over the last decade
7- Warbuton- Really excellent last couple of games but the great news for us is that SOB is back!
6-POM- Grows from strength to strength and the captain in the making
5-POC- Arguably his best 6n ever
4-AWJ- Colossus
3-Cole- His work rate yesterday in particular was unbelievable for a prop.
2- Best- Best of a bad bunch really though I am a fan of Ken Owens and don`t understand why the welsh overlook him.
1-McGrath- My main worry for Ireland was their scrum particularly with Healy out but this guy along with Ross has been terrifically solid particularly against the English.

Phew now for a lie down again!
:party:
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 6 Nations team of tournament and summary

Post by Snipe Watson »

Team of the championship:
Gethin Jenkins
Rory Best
Samson Lee
AWJ
POC
Thierry Dusatoir
‘Christopher’ Robshaw
Taulupe Faletau (not a great selection of 8s this season)
Rhys Webb
George Ford
Yoann Huget
Maxime Mermoz
Jamie Joseph
George North
Stuart Hogg

6 Welsh
3 English
2 Irish
3 French
1 Scot
couple of close calls in that team

Lions:
Gethin Jenkins
Rory Best
Samson Lee
AWJ
POC
SOB
‘Christopher’ Robshaw
Taulupe Faletau (not a great selection of 8s this season)
Rhys Webb
George Ford
Tommy Bowe
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Joseph
George North
Stuart Hogg
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

1-McGrath, 2-Hartley, 3-Cole, 4-AW Jones, 5-POC, 6-POM, 7-Warbs, 8-Faletau, 9-Murray, 10-Sexton, 11-Nowell, 12-Roberts, 13-Joseph, 14-North, 15-Halfpenny
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

1. Gethin Jenkins - best of a bad bunch
2. Scott Baldwin - usurped Hibbard and played well
3. Samson Lee - Wales will badly miss him if he's out of the RWC
4. Yoann Maestri - played well and got his first 6N try
5. Paul O'Connell - hopefully not his last 6N, superb performances in all five rounds
6. Peter O'Mahony - best of a bad bunch
7. Chris Robshaw - does very well for a blindside playing openside
8. Sergio Parisse - still a phenomenal 8 at his age
9. Rhys Webb - translated his club form to the international stage
10. George Ford - has been a good player throughout the tournament, but to land all those kicks yesterday under so much pressure is phenomenal for such a young guy
11. Liam Williams - don't like him, but in fairness he stepped in for the under-performing Cuthbert and excelled
12. Robbie Henshaw - similar to Robshaw, for a player out of position he did exceptionally well
13. Jonathan Joseph - translated his club form to the international stage
14. Yoann Huget - managed to play well in an inconsistent French back line
15. Scott Spedding - a big, fast man who's hard to bring down

5 Wales
3 France
3 England
3 Ireland
1 Italy
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Who gives one? Utterly immetesticle.

Oh well.

No 8 Heaslip, pure and utter class, invaluable to Ireland, like others before him, his value is only truly appreciated when he ain't there.

Toby? here ye go biys. Catch yerselves on.
EVILCS.jpg
EVILCS.jpg (9.27 KiB) Viewed 2235 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I thought Heaslip looked poor yesterday (espec 1st half). 'poor' by his own standards, I suppose. I wondered was he fit. He tightened up 2nd half to be fair.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think Heaslip is a long way short of where he was 3 or 4 seasons ago. Even last season. He's going to come under pressure from Conan and Murphy for Leinster
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I thought Heaslip was good against Wales but I still blame him for the try. The tackle against Hogg turned out to be a championship saver.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Agreed Dave, think he had a good tournament but he was definitely at fault for the Wales try
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Lads, lads, lads (and WW). Get a grip. Some of the selections here are only bested by Stephen Jones in the Times today. What an arris he is. England lost out because Italy and Scotland were useless = apparently there was just one day's play in the 6N this year.
So, to join in the shyte on this thread - here we go (over the whole tournament):
15 Halfpenny. No argument (Brown was very good but not a goal-kicker
14 Huget
13 Joseph
12 Henshaw - raw but improving all the time. Roberts maybe?
11 North
10 Sexton, although Ford was also brilliant,to be fair
9 Murray
8 Parisse or Faletau or Big Billy V or Heaslip - can't decide
7 Warburton
6 O'Mahoney - got better and better
5 Wynn-Jones
4 O'Connell - majestic
3 Cole - could give it to Debaty for the try
2 Ghiraldini
1 McGrath - Marler very good also.
Bo***cks to Brexit
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Not bad rock with the exception of the back 3 who you clearly picked on reputation over form.
North had one decent half and was anonymous apart ,Huget didn't even score and Halfpenny showed no attacking flair whatsoever.
As a matter a fact Wales looked better balanced when Williams went there.
I agree with the Italian hooker though instead of Rory.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

I couldn't be ársed with a team of the tournament. However my player of the tournament would be POC. Warburton and AWJ were also very good and Robshaw showed again he is a warrior. Of the less experienced guys Henshaw and Joseph very impressive and I also thought McGrath performed well.

Parrise gets an awful lot of praise but he was extremely poor in the game v France. He's still a decent player but he's not on the top level and I don't think he was any better than the other 8's in this......well except Vunipola who is an average player but is as weighty as feck.

I think the Irish front rows, all of those who played, should be mentioned for the scrum which was as good as I've seen from Ireland in a few years.

Also would mention TOD and Jordi who did all one could ask when they were called upon.

Most of the rest of our players played to their expected standards most of the championship but all dipped v Wales.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:I couldn't be ársed with a team of the tournament. However my player of the tournament would be POC. Warburton and AWJ were also very good and Robshaw showed again he is a warrior. Of the less experienced guys Henshaw and Joseph very impressive and I also thought McGrath performed well.

Parrise gets an awful lot of praise but he was extremely poor in the game v France. He's still a decent player but he's not on the top level and I don't think he was any better than the other 8's in this......well except Vunipola who is an average player but is as weighty as feck.

I think the Irish front rows, all of those who played, should be mentioned for the scrum which was as good as I've seen from Ireland in a few years.

Also would mention TOD and Jordi who did all one could ask when they were called upon.

Most of the rest of our players played to their expected standards most of the championship but all dipped v Wales.
G'wan ye oul curmudgeon ye throw in a few more names and you'll have a team.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Ha just what I was thinking snipe.
Love all this can't be arsed with this making up teams too cool for school approach but secretly inside we all love it don't we shan?
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bazzaj wrote:Ha just what I was thinking snipe.
Love all this can't be arsed with this making up teams too cool for school approach but secretly inside we all love it don't we shan?
People love "best of" lists. Rating and ranking is, I guess, part of human nature. No issue with that for me if anybody wants to engage in it and I've clearly looked at the thread.

However I can't be ársed naming such a team myself. To be honest some of those named in other's lists show the futility of such endeavour. George North for the love of feck. He was on the field in the games and that's about the sum total of his contribution. If that gets him into the team then I suggest Wayne Barnes should be in it. He certainly was more involved in the action anyway. :D

As for yerself and Snipe- Gwan up ou'ra dat ye auld feckers. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.