World Cup News

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: World Cup News

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jizzbeg, how are you getting on with teaching yer granny to suck eggs?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Not maybe you Bagster but its not how some are coming across.
Some people think this issue is all about kids playing rugby with Coke cans at bus stops or running and offloading or infant rugby.
I think its simpler than that.

You look at the tools you are given and devise a plan according to what you have got.
If you have good tactical kickers as a strength its fine to implement a tactical kicking game plan as long as its done with a positive mind set.
I do think we are a player or two short of looking to adopt a more expansive game plan but we must go with genuine wing pace men and footballers like Zebo and Gilroy along with McCloskey and/or a fit Olding for that to happen.
Get them in now!

As you say no amount of anything would have got us beyond the semis this time round and I always stated that was our best case scenario.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Not maybe you Bagster but its not how some are coming across.
Some people think this issue is all about kids playing rugby with Coke cans at bus stops or running and offloading or infant rugby.
I think its simpler than that.

You look at the tools you are given and devise a plan according to what you have got.
If you have good tactical kickers as a strength its fine to implement a tactical kicking game plan as long as its done with a positive mind set.

I do think we are a player or two short of looking to adopt a more expansive game plan but we must go with genuine wing pace men and footballers like Zebo and Gilroy along with McCloskey and/or a fit Olding for that to happen.
Get them in now!

As you say no amount of anything would have got us beyond the semis this time round and I always stated that was our best case scenario.

In fairness to the much despised liar, FibberJose, great coach/shïte selector, I think that is pretty much what he has done with the resources he has had so far.

That said, I think the end of a RWC cycle is the time when he should be looking to move it on from that. In many ways though he has very limited numbers, with only 4 pro teams it should be possible for a national strategy with the provinces handed a blueprint of what Fibber wants in terms of strategy and perfection of skills so that every man jack in Irish professional rugby knows what is expected should the national call come.

Now I appreciate that that is very simplistic, but it is probably the best way to create a path from Pro12 to international rugby for those potentially good enough, in a country which is tiny in terms of pro playing numbers and as Nathan White discovered, a quiet near retirement at 34 years of age in Connacht can lead to a very respectable RWC experience.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

I thought they had a strategy… the one snipe posted on here.

can't even be arsed to read if it is current but maybe it is the strategy that brought us to the doors of the 2015 Final..albetic the wrong building.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/downloads/IRFU ... Report.pdf
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Any thoughts on the player of the year award? I'd say player of world cup Carter. International player o he year pocock . Overall player of the year Nonu.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Lol at BoD. Wonder how much he was paid to turn up
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

You see Snipe, that last sentence says it all, this has been my point all along, you and others have talked of the phoney war, but if you aren't playing full on high class rugby regularly, it's just not there when you feel you actually need it.

RWC was the phoney war. All part of the build up to trying to land the 6n for the third year in a row. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cockatrice wrote:I thought they had a strategy… the one snipe posted on here.

can't even be arsed to read if it is current but maybe it is the strategy that brought us to the doors of the 2015 Final..albetic the wrong building.

First time I've read it Cockers, two observations. The National Coach is on the bottom wrung of the ladder beside the Provincial coaches, frankly for all I've said about him and his lying ways, I'd be happier with him leading.

I may be missing something obvious, having skim read it, but no mention anywhere of the most vital element - skills, the thing that we lag behind the SH teams in big time.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

First time I've read it Cockers, two observations. The National Coach is on the bottom wrung of the ladder beside the Provincial coaches, frankly for all I've said about him and his lying ways, I'd be happier with him leading.

I may be missing something obvious, having skim read it, but no mention anywhere of the most vital element - skills, the thing that we lag behind the SH teams in big time.
I think I said somewhere else that for UR skills fell behind other more important things...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

I seem to recall trying to advise posters that Nucifora was Schmidt's boss and being shouted down by all and sundry.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

I seem to recall trying to advise posters that Nucifora was Schmidt's boss and being shouted down by all and sundry.
not me snipe...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

not me snipe...
Well quite a few then Cockers. You were always a man who recognised the truth............ >EW
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Sometimes you have to question dislike of Kiwis.

Touch of class, World Cup trophy on Jerry Collins's grave:
JC.jpg
JC.jpg (36.13 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
>appl >appl >appl
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Fair play to Clive Woodward......didn't think I'd be saying that today :shock:

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/rugby/clive- ... l#uk-yh-rf
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:Fair play to Clive Woodward......didn't think I'd be saying that today :shock:

http://www.eurosport.co.uk/rugby/clive- ... l#uk-yh-rf
Whilst he is correcr in principle in putting the blame on the eRFU he misses the point that blame should lie firmly at the eRFU letting the PRL do what they want

Bath threw money at a man. The RFU then got taken in by the media bandwagon led by the PRL that Burgess is the best ever and selected a man who should have been nowhere near an international rugby field

The blame for that appears to lie on andrew chav who seemed to decide early on that he was head coach and england would play league not rugby