World Cup News

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: World Cup News

Post by Deraless »

As Nigel himself says there has never been a perfect reffing performance, so I think I'd rather watch an imperfect performance which allows a good game. There was one point in the game where he said "I can't penalise both" and let it go. I think most other refs would have picked one offence and blown up. Considering at most breakdowns ever there are about half a dozen marginal calls you could penalise nearly every ruck.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Deraless wrote:As Nigel himself says there has never been a perfect reffing performance, so I think I'd rather watch an imperfect performance which allows a good game. There was one point in the game where he said "I can't penalise both" and let it go. I think most other refs would have picked one offence and blown up. Considering at most breakdowns ever there are about half a dozen marginal calls you could penalise nearly every ruck.
EVERY ruck!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Anybody enjoy the game or do we just get stuck up Jizzbeg's blind alley? Finals in many sports often disappoint, that was one that didn't, lots of rugby to admire.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

You will all be pleased to know the New Zealand media were delighted with Nigels performance.
Aussies not so keen but they can't really feel too aggrevieved after Scotland Also apparently a stamp was missed from Pocock on McCaw but didn't see that myself.

He has a great feel for the game but made a shocking call to not refer back to Kainos high tackle on Pocock which even those with half a rugby brain will realise was a pivotal decision.
Instead of 3 points to oz he gives a pen the other way.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Credit to Sonny Bill for making some young fan's day...
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cockatrice wrote:Credit to Sonny Bill for making some young fan's day...
Indeed - hope he doesn't regret it later. The kid would probably have been just as delighted with his shirt or one of his boots etc which can be replaced, but Sonny Bill won't get another medal. Fair play to him though! :salut:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Indeed - hope he doesn't regret it later. The kid would probably have been just as delighted with his shirt or one of his boots etc which can be replaced, but Sonny Bill won't get another medal. Fair play to him though! :salut:
I was thinking that very thing.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
He's been given another medal by all accounts
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Well fair credit to NZ. They are an awesome team and they did the business on the big day, Credit to Australia also who played their part in making this an excellent final to watch. Probably the best RWC Final I've seen. Certainly better than the last 5 anyway.

People can complain about ref errors but no matter who the ref was there would be complaints from some quarters. We have not managed to develop a perfect ref robot so what are you gonna do. Nigel never sees forward passes and rarely stops games for guys being a bit offside / in from side etc unless he has to. You hear him all the time telling the offside guy to get back or not interfere with the game and he almost always does the same to guys just about to do something they shouldn't or who just have but not enough to materially impact the flow yet. He is brilliant at that and you kind of have to accept that he allows passes forward as a trade off, even though it is a bloody annoyance when one which is over 3 metres forward ends up with a try.

To be fair I was going for Australia but I am glad to see Carter get a medal that will mean something to him. Himself and McCaw have been the standard bearers of this incredible team for a long time and both will be missed in the international arena.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I'll tell you something. Yesterday's game showed us a couple of things:
Firstly, the All Blacks have no discernible weakness. 1-23 they are currently and by some distance, the most complete team on the planet.
Secondly, Ireland are not within a beagle's gowl of the kind of rugby they and to a lesser extent, Australia play.
That's where we are.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:I'll tell you something. Yesterday's game showed us a couple of things:
Firstly, the All Blacks have no discernible weakness. 1-23 they are currently and by some distance, the most complete team on the planet.
Secondly, Ireland are not within a beagle's gowl of the kind of rugby they and to a lesser extent, Australia play.
That's where we are.

I don't think we are even competing in the same sport and worse still we have no desire to try to do so in the future, unless there's something happening in the development structures that I'm not aware of.

Argentina meanwhile are trying and are seeing the benefit and will most likely see more in the future.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Awesome campaign by the All Blacks. Think they may have put away the chokers label. Never in a panic. Convincing in every game. This current team will go down as one of the best ever.

And the boots were a classy touch too.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

You'd think with a NZ-born coach, he'd want Ireland to play the SH style of rugby, but then when you have to answer to D4 big wigs, and have a pool of players who don't have that skillset your hands are tied.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

shamalicious wrote:You'd think with a NZ-born coach, he'd want Ireland to play the SH style of rugby, but then when you have to answer to D4 big wigs, and have a pool of players who don't have that skillset your hands are tied.
The rugby skills of giving/taking a pass, stepping, tackling, kicking etc.. are not really all that complex. You will see that by watching good schools team. Irish players may need to tweak their skills a bit but it's no big deal. It's more about mindset/confidence/physicality/speed. The Irish pack is about as big as any it encounters (it's currently over 900Kg), but still looks underpowered. The team is constrained by the game plan, and discouraged from using their skills to play creative rugby - I do not believe that the players lack skills, they just need to be allowed to express them. This negative approach affects their self confidence and their belief in what thay can achieve. I think we actually do lack some speed (except for a few individuals) across the team as a whole. There is not a great deal that can be done about this except look for faster players and get the current lot sprinting at every opportunity.
The RWC was a dissappointment but I beleive there is still the nucleus of a very good team in there, though SID is a clear worry. The most important factors are to reexamine how we want to play the game and to think more carefully about selection, being prepared to drop experienced players who are not doing the job, and to select players with some flair over workhorses.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I think that is where we differ spiffers.

I don't see any evidence at club level of many Irish players executing those skills.
Who have we got- Olding and McCloskey one who was injured the other who has just broken in the Ulster team.
Along with Sexton and Murray I dont see much else could hold a candle to the sh teams.
Putting it another way how many of them would get on any championship side?
We are where we are the best of a NH bad bunch.

Ulsters performances away performances this season demonstrate that some of our guys cant even give and take a pass never mind the skill set you mention.

If you were talking England you would be totally on the money as they do have the players and depth yet still chose Burgess Barrett and Farrell as world cup centres.
Further to that I note Stefan Armitage scored a hattrick today as if to rub in Englands selection stupidity.