Nostalgia!!

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Nostalgia!!

Post by big mervyn »

My understanding is that stout tends to be a heavier, creamier drink than porter.

I believe the original Guinness was based on the Lahndahn porters of the day.

Guinness Stout was nicknamed Arthur's Protestant Porter in the early days. :oman:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:Any person who drinks Special Brew needs avoided like the plague Rumn
Wasn't Special Brew aka " Tramp Juice" brewed in honour of Winston Churchill? I think it's alright in moderation, as a wee winter warmer. >burp
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:Any person who drinks Special Brew needs avoided like the plague Rumn
Wasn't Special Brew aka " Tramp Juice" brewed in honour of Winston Churchill? I think it's alright in moderation, as a wee winter warmer. >burp
Carlsberg Special Brew is thoroughly disgusting stuff. Tuborg Gold was considerably better. In defence of Carlsberg, their regular lager is hard to beat.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Carlsberg Special Brew is thoroughly disgusting stuff. Tuborg Gold was considerably better. In defence of Carlsberg, their regular lager is hard to beat.
Yes as a standard lager it is pretty decent

Tuborg in a 'spoons is also an ok option

Sooner NI gets Estrella in the better
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote:Baggy remembers MORTON'S Red Hand
Red HEART by Morton's shirley?

It was Guinness bottled in Belfast somewhere off the bottom of the Shankill, iirc. First alcoholic drink I ever had, - aged 12 - considered an old man's drink, but it went down well with this child.

My Granda used to have 2 bottles a day prescrbed by the NHS for anaemia in his old age. (It wasn't his that I drank at 12 yo)

There WAS Red HAND also - might also have been Guinness, but I don't think it was bottled by Morton's. :?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
rumncoke wrote:Baggy remembers MORTON'S Red Hand
Red HEART by Morton's shirley?

It was Guinness bottled in Belfast somewhere off the bottom of the Shankill, iirc. First alcoholic drink I ever had, - aged 12 - considered an old man's drink, but it went down well with this child.

My Granda used to have 2 bottles a day prescrbed by the NHS for anaemia in his old age. (It wasn't his that I drank at 12 yo)

There WAS Red HAND also - might also have been Guinness, but I don't think it was bottled by Morton's. :?
There sure was.....
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Then was the Shankill Special " two Monk by the neck "
MORTON'S was opposite the Tech if memory serves behind the cafe .

The metal casks of draught were the death of the bottlers .

Sent from cyberspace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote:The metal casks of draught were the death of the bottlers .
Great Uncle of mine was one of those bottlers, but it wasn't the casks that were the death of him.

He fell into a vat of Guinness at the bottling plant and drowned. What a way to go though.

It was a long slow death .....

..... he got out three times to go to the toilet.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Great Uncle of mine was one of those bottlers, but it wasn't the casks that were the death of him.

He fell into a vat of Guinness at the bottling plant and drowned. What a way to go though.

That joke's certainly old enough for a nostalgia thread :lol:
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

That joke's certainly old enough for a nostalgia thread :lol:
why else did I post it here and not on the jokes thread :D

Oh alright - I did it just to quote Rumn and annoy Once! :lol:
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Irish stout is a variety of porter IMHO. Guinness (the nitrokeg variety that we know today) would at one time have been best achieved by a competent barman combining kegs to reach the desired consistency - which may have been what we'd call a pint of double.
Porter is more typically the lighter variety, more like plain or single X.

I mind at the time of the Anglo-Irish agreement (84 ?) the bottles of Guinness disappeared from a number of bars, replaced by Morton's Red Heart. They must have done more trade off the back of that than the previous 10 years. Short lived though and I think they closed a year or two later from memory.

Carlsberg once introduced a strong beer to the Danish market called Carlsberg Elephant. It was popular, but within a few weeks the productivity of Danish industry had plummeted and questions were asked in parliament. Even Carlsberg themselves felt the effects and they withdrew it from sale for the good of the country. They came up with a weaker product and relaunched the Elephant beer, we can buy throughout Europe today. The original recipe sat on their shelves for many years, then they started brewing it as Special Brew in GB and Ireland only.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Setanta wrote:Changing the subject to a more peacable one - does anyone remember the old, cheap single X last sold in the Crown Bar in Belfast? Well, they're now selling it under different names in England; not cheap anymore though but that's power for the course!
Yes. As a student, used to drink porter in the Crown because it was one of the cheapest beers available and not bad at all. You could get a nice buzz on with little outlay. And the Crown was a great place to hang out in those days. The porter was not pressurized, but served straight from barrels behind the bar through a simple tap inserted in the bottom, just by the force of gravity.
drumbo diehard
Novice

Post by drumbo diehard »

Why would you drink beer through your Brennan? Laziness maybe?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

drumbo diehard wrote:Why would you drink beer through your Brennan? Laziness maybe?
Probably Greek
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Mcglade's in Donegall Street once put the "Slops" into a cask and the sold them for 10 d a pint a mix of many casks Porter ,Beer etc
A bit like a Black and Tan

Sent from cyberspace
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist