Who will be there?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Who will be there?

Post by big mervyn »

Neil F wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:I think Madigan could be an excellent 12. Not as good as Olding, but then I think Olding will be special player. For me, he doesn't have the intelligence or control to play 10 at anything above pro12 level. The fella can play the game, but not in a decision making position.
Agreed; Madigan reminds me a lot of Paddy Wallace - obvious talent but also obviously not a sustainable option at 10. I wonder what we might have seen from Paddy had people taken him seriously as an option at 12 before his late 20s? For both Ireland's sake and the player's, I hope the same fate doesn't befall Madigan. D'Arcy retiring and Sexton's return may just be exactly what he needs!
There is the little matter of Robbie Henshaw. Hard to see Mads getting much of a look in if he and a fit Olding are available. Both younger and more talented.
Madigan seems destined to be a bit part utility player at international level.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Bazz; at international level, no doubt Madigan will probably never be a first-choice in any position but even at provincial level he (like Paddy Wallace) struggles to control games from 10. Longer term, I see Ireland's centres as Olding and Henshaw but that is only one injury away from another option being required and I don't see any reason why Madigan, with a meaningful stretch at 12 under his belt, couldn't be a feasible choice for that option. That Madigan couldn't displace Gopperth says a lot about what he offers at 10. I'd hate to see Leinster fail to make the most of his talent - as I think Ulster did for too long with Wallace - by persevering with the notion that he's a 10 who can play 12 and 15 (and 9 if the Irish Times are to be believed today...).
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Paddy's defence was never strong enough to displace D 'Arcy at 12

He was brave but just not big enough eg against the ABs he couldn't defend the gain line

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Paddy didn't miss too many tackles. D'Arcy's partnership with BOD made him very difficult to shift.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:Paddy didn't miss too many tackles. D'Arcy's partnership with BOD made him very difficult to shift.
Yer right about him not missing too many tackles but let's not even try to pretend that his body was able for the rigours of international rugby in the centre over a long period. That was a pity because in 2009 he showed quite clearly that in terms of ability he had no issue competing against the better international teams at 12.

However I still agree with Neil and also hope Madigan doesn't end up in that situation where most of his international career is spent sitting on the bench waiting for the starting 10 to get injured. Nobody benefits from that.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While Paddy held players the fact remains the players frequently had crossed the gain line before going to ground

Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rumncoke wrote:While Paddy held players the fact remains the players frequently had crossed the gain line before going to ground

The gainline being Radge at 10
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Once a Knight wrote: :scratch:

You mean he got his head split open and it kept bleeding?

I don't recall his body breaking down. I recall him getting split open which is different.

Now a chara, you mind or I'll have to go go onto MF and tell T78 you're "diss-ing" Paddy Wallace. T78 is a great believer, correctly, that Paddy Wallace was a vastly underrated player and was a pivotal performer in the Grand Slam series.

Madigan needs to settle at 12. He's no 10.

Lazy post from me and I unreservedly apologise Sir. I meant his head issues and as far as I remember it wasn't just once. I seem to remember being a bit worried about him at the time - Under normal circumstances I would trawl through the posts from then to quote some of the delightful and high quality insights I almost certainly provided at the time.....but I'm feeling a touch less obsessive than normal today. :D

As for T78 and some others down on MF - They were late to the party, as usual.

Agree on Madigan and I believe we said the same thing about 2 years ago if I remember correctly. I'm afraid many in the Irish media and elsewhere are simply left trailing in our wake my Lord. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.