RWC - Group B

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

RWC - Group B

Post by againstthehead »

Boks, Samoa, Scotland, USA and Japan make up group B.

Boks are obviously the stand-out side, however, if they win the group they end up playing the runner-up of Group A so not much of a prize as that's likely to be England or Ozzie. The boks haven't exactly been setting the Southern Hemisphere on fire having lost all 3 Rugby Championship games. However, that doesn't tell the full story as they should have beaten ozzie away and were robbed by the ABs on their home turf. They should be reasonably comfortable in this group and will be strong contenders for the title.

2nd spot is up for grabs. Scotland and Samoa have different strengths and weaknesses so I'm finding it hard to separate the two of them. Indeed, if either of them underestimate Japan or the USA they could get a rattle as those sides will be throwing the ball about. Although my head says Scotland as they'll have a bit more structure, I'm gonna go with Samoa as I love the passion and physicality the Samoan guys bring to the game.

Doesn't quite have the heavyweights of Group A but enough in there to keep it interesting.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: RWC - Group B

Post by Neill_M »

As you say the key game is Scotland v Samoa. A bit of a cliche, but could depend if Samoa keep 15 players on the pitch. Had a red card v the BaaBaas in a warm up game! The player in question Kane Thompson misses their 1st game of the rwc v USA.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Boks and Samoa to qualify
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Really is as handy a group as South Africa could hope for. They will stroll to victory in every game.

USA and Japan are hopeless.

Scotland are dire and may lose second to Samoa. The last game between them in 2013 was a win for Samoa. Granted it was their only win ever over Scotland.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Pienaar starts on Sat v Japan

South Africa: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Lood de Jager, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Fourie du Preez, 22 Handré Pollard, 23 JP Pietersen.

Vermeulen and Etzebeth another week away from playing.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kriel in fantasy team
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Neill_M wrote:Pienaar starts on Sat v Japan

South Africa: 15 Zane Kirchner, 14 Lwazi Mvovo, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Lood de Jager, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira.

Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Siya Kolisi, 21 Fourie du Preez, 22 Handré Pollard, 23 JP Pietersen.

Vermeulen and Etzebeth another week away from playing.

Good to see DeVilliers there.

Du Preez on the bench. Assume he will get some much needed game time. I also assume he'll be in for the big games.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Haven't heard to much chatter about the Boks but I reckon they have a real chance.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Russ wrote:Kriel in fantasy team
Put him in to replace Fofana.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Shan wrote:Really is as handy a group as South Africa could hope for. They will stroll to victory in every game.

USA and Japan are hopeless.

Scotland are dire and may lose second to Samoa. The last game between them in 2013 was a win for Samoa. Granted it was their only win ever over Scotland.

I've never been happier about having to admit I was entirely wrong.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

That was one of the greatest things I have ever seen in rugby.

The Japanese try off the lineout wsa out of this world, absolutely phenomenal. Their winning try though, balls the size of basket balls to go for a scrum there and go across the pitch before going the whole way back across again.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

And to think SA were my tip to win it.... Holy fek what a result.... That blows the group wide up.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Japan came of age today.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

I've never seen as many grown men cry. Great game, well done the cherry blossoms!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So you're the Japanese captain. How many of you would honestly scrummed that last penalty?

I have to say, I'd have taken the 3 and drawn with the boks at a world cup, thereby recording the greatest result in Japanese rugby history.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk