POC yellow card

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: POC yellow card

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Neil F wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:You guys sure you're not being wise after the fact?

I've just watched it again, I'm convinced that Paulie was legal though as we've said it's impossible to be sure from the camera angles. Having re-watched it six times, Jackson had the arm up for a penalty long before Paulie came running back. I'm convinced that he was penalising Kearney for offside and coming in at the side to kick the ball away.

In which case can you really justify carding a man who has committed no foul just because he intervenes when you've signalled a penalty. Ireland had hardly been penalised at that point so would a single offence warrant a card 15 metres out? I think not.
Bearing in mind my only view of this so far was from the third row behind to posts of the wrong end of the Millennium Stadium but... The first part of what you say was certainly my impression at the time. The penalty wasn't against O'Connell. Subsequently, though, O'Connell was carded for (as it seemed to me, quite cynically) preventing any potential advantage accruing to Canada. I have no idea of this is correct, of course - without the benefit of the referee's mic, I don't even know what the official reason was. In my opinion, though, preventing an advantage occurring should merit a yellow card. Seems very contrary to the spirit of the game to do so.

At the time, I wasn't at all annoyed or perplexed by the call. Although, that may also have had something to do with the fact that I had no capacity left for rage after having had to pay £4.50 for a pint of Heineken...
Neil, aside from your abysmal beer choice ............... so you are assuming that in the complete silence of the Millennium Stadium, Paulie, having burst his hole to track over and back from the other side of the pitch, whilst Fitzgerald was sauntering back from the same breakdown by the way, made one effort to intercept and in true manic style, turned foaming at the mouth to try again, meanwhile he hadn't read Jackson's mind or presumably heard a word in the silence, but you're happy he was binned for cheating?????

I'll tell you where I am on this, I hate Paulie, he is a treacherous money grabbing slapheaded Limerick ginger but he was done up like a kipper by former Saracen Glinda Jickson.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

In my defence, Heineken was the only beer on offer that I could drink... Washed the grimness away with a couple of decent beers at the Brewdog place on the way down the road.

On POC, I'll say two things: First, if a team concedes a penalty advantage and a member of that team deliberately commits an offence to prevent the opposition having any chance of realising the advantage, then the player who does so deserves to go into the bin, in my opinion. At best, it's atrocious sportsmanship (unless you get away with it, of course...). Second, (and with no real view to speak of), that was my perception of what happened. I may revise my opinion of the situation when / if I see some highlights. I make no assumptions on what Paulie was trying to do but in a weekend when we saw McCaw binned for tripping, nothing is outside the realms of possibility.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:Paulie just saw the ball and instinctively caught it. Not much of a thought process involved I'd imagine.
I disagree - you can tell from his reaction that he knew exactly what he was doing.

He knew he was onside and was entitled to play the ball, the fact that there was an advantage is irrelevant.

BTW It wasn't even a penalty in the first place. Kearney was legal.

Ref got it wrong both times, it seems.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

This is Kearney hacking the ball on. That is Jackson's shoulder in the corner. POC is not in the shot, but we can see there is nobody offside around the breakdown, if offside, they would need to nearer Jackson to be hidden from the shot.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So this is POC appearing into shot after the ball is cleared. Notice how close he is to the touchline in comparison to the ref in the previous still.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I would just add - Hawkeye my left one!
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Good work BR, that's exactly as I read it after watching it numerous times.

I did invite people to look again but oh no >dance they must have been too busy dancing round their handbegs.

Neilof course has yet to look at it to discover how wrong he is. :lol: :lol: :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

The bottom line is that it doesn't mean a rat's arrse now. Ireland won by a large margin, POC later acknowledged in the media that the ref was right (or is POC just being PC?). So no point in the microuberhyperanalysis. Onwards and upwards.
We will hump the poor old Romanys out of sight with our reserves, but then what?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Spiffsson wrote:The bottom line is that it doesn't mean a rat's arrse now. Ireland won by a large margin, POC later acknowledged in the media that the ref was right (or is POC just being PC?). So no point in the microuberhyperanalysis. Onwards and upwards.
We will hump the poor old Romanys out of sight with our reserves, but then what?
POC had the benefit of an explanation from the ref, but he didn't look too convinced at the time. I suspect he taking a pragmatic view of things.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Correct BR & FFS Spiffer, don;t I recall you a few days back urging someone not to stifle debate?

There is little enough going on here at present with no proper rugby for almost 2 weeks ........... well, other than Dave the fecker.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:The bottom line is that it doesn't mean a rat's arrse now. Ireland won by a large margin, POC later acknowledged in the media that the ref was right (or is POC just being PC?). So no point in the microuberhyperanalysis. Onwards and upwards.
POC had the benefit of an explanation from the ref, but he didn't look too convinced at the time. I suspect he taking a pragmatic view of things.
Have you ever seen a player say; "it's a fair cop gov'nor" to the card waving referee? I thought at the time Paulie was off side, but I haven't looked at it since so I could be wrong and your analysis does point towards him being onside. I wouldn't read too much into his later mea culpa either. I'd imagine the great man would want to remove any potential for it becoming a distraction.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BR wrote:
Have you ever seen a player say; "it's a fair cop gov'nor" to the card waving referee? I thought at the time Paulie was off side, but I haven't looked at it since so I could be wrong and your analysis does point towards him being onside. I wouldn't read too much into his later mea culpa either. I'd imagine the great man would want to remove any potential for it becoming a distraction.
Correct on all counts.