Team for Romania

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team for Romania

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Several myths being perpetuated. Blinding pace has always been a great asset to a winger, but guys with pace but little else don't often make great wingers, I struggle to think of some. I'm not convinced there has been any indication Tommy has lost his, who can suggest an occasion when he has looked clear and been caught?

Tommy has better skills and running lines than most wingers and a great sense for timing when and where to appear to break a line.

I know he's a liar but Fibber quoted last AIs when Tommy was at his best, but he has been patchy since, highlighted more due to Gilroy scoring bags full in the latter half of last season.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Several myths being perpetuated. Blinding pace has always been a great asset to a winger, but guys with pace but little else don't often make great wingers, I struggle to think of some.
Maxwell?

Put him in space he'd run them in,

Put him in space with a defender in front of him, more often than not he'd fluff it, usually by not knowing what to do so he'd hesitate and in that hesitation he was beaten.

The best wingers make up their minds early and know what they're going to do, but they can also think on their feet and react to what's happening around them and score when perhaps they had no right to.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rocky wrote:Tommy to score a hat trick against the Romanians!
here's hoping ...... would have thought it more likely with Jackie at 10. The two of them seem to have an understanding and Tommy has scored some great tries for Ulster by coming round off his wing and running an inside line to break free.

Wee Mads might just try something similar though.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
here's hoping ...... would have thought it more likely with Jackie at 10. The two of them seem to have an understanding and Tommy has scored some great tries for Ulster by coming round off his wing and running an inside line to break free.

Wee Mads might just try something similar though.
Wee Mads will try a cross field kick to himself
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

He seems to go for the little kick through more often these days, a bit like BOD in his latter days with his grubbers. Neither have been oarticularly successfully, but may also suggest that Tommy has lost a bit of pace or maybe doesn't back himself to beat his man as much as he used to.

He is in a positon where there is lots of competiton and at his age when you are a winger, IF you lose it at the top level it will be hard for him to get back into the team.

Not saying he is past it, but i di think he needs to regain form tomorrow and show what he is capable of, not just for his world cup but his Ireland future.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I hope Payne doesn't persist with his grubbers. Not just because of the Canadian beak-away try. He does it far too often and a fair percentage are blocked.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

What is undeniable is that he is not going to get any better, all that remains to be seen is if anyone - other than the GLU of course - is any better.

I'd still back Tommy's instincts over Kearney or Earls but both have him on form at present, Tommy gets a good run out and shows his best tomorrow, then for my money he's the first winger you pick, if not then he's possibly toast for the RWC and until he gets his form back.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Deraless wrote:I hope Payne doesn't persist with his grubbers. Not just because of the Canadian beak-away try. He does it far too often and a fair percentage are blocked.
He offers little or nothing in terms of finding the gap so maybe he thinks the only way past is the grubber but his execution was/is poor.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

JP's kicking was poor against Canada, although I still think it can be a good asset to his game, as he has the skill set to do it. I'd say it was his execution more than decision making which let him down.

Like most others on here i would rather see him at 15 and think he would be better than Rob Kearney there these days but also think there is more to come from him in the 13 role.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:JP's kicking was poor against Canada, although I still think it can be a good asset to his game, as he has the skill set to do it. I'd say it was his execution more than decision making which let him down.

Like most others on here i would rather see him at 15 and think he would be better than Rob Kearney there these days but also think there is more to come from him in the 13 role.
He had so much time with the one that came from the crosskick that it was both, the second was unfortunate to stick in VDM's hands.

He is a somewhat ponderous centre who is not a greater passer, then folk wonder, why is Bowe not scoring/getting into the game? The answer is partly who is inside him.

I've said it before, against a big team Fibber's plan does not include spreading it wide, not by passing at any rate, we do like a cross kick just the same.

Today should be a stroll against muck, may get the boots dirty but that is about it.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Well now I would just love that Rocky.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Fantasy league team needs a good performance from Healy and SOB to score off of the bench
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Anyone feeling fidgety about what may happen in the scrum today? The French made limited to no headway against this front 5, however given the short turn around they should be blowing hard by halftime and it should be a formality.

Indeed the whole RWC set up to benefit England but also very much the All Blacks who could go for a sunshine holiday between the group and quarterfinals. Thereafter Ireland have been given many gifts and I assume their presence in the late Sunday games inducates the likely strength of London fan base to pull in big crowds.

Expect a much bigger win than France achieved, anything less will be poor.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Anyone feeling fidgety about what may happen in the scrum today? The French made limited to no headway against this front 5, however given the short turn around they should be blowing hard by halftime and it should be a formality.

Indeed the whole RWC set up to benefit England but also very much the All Blacks who could go for a sunshine holiday between the group and quarterfinals. Thereafter Ireland have been given many gifts and I assume their presence in the late Sunday games inducates the likely strength of London fan base to pull in big crowds.

The french played an out of balance front row who Romania had ease getting under
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Anyone feeling fidgety about what may happen in the scrum today? The French made limited to no headway against this front 5, however given the short turn around they should be blowing hard by halftime and it should be a formality.

Even if we do get humped in the scrum, Ireland should be able to run the poor old gyppos off their feet in loose play, especially after the short turn around time. I would expect us to run up 60 or so points.