So, a doddle against Italy

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: So, a doddle against Italy

Post by Kofi Annan »

Beattiespastie wrote:Ireland will struggle against France based on yesterday's fatally flawed perfoance. SOB looks a spent force plus other teams have him figured out. Henshaw was ponderous and offered no real threat. Hendo and POC once again the standouts for me in a worryingly lacklustre showing. I was away in Manchester at a wedding and missed the Ulster game but on watching it back last night I cannot see why gilroy, Trimble and young McCloskey could not have made that Irish squad? italy was our first real WC test and we nearly blew it and frankly didn't deserve to win . Our penalty count was frustrating and it was the basics.... Not rolling away/ tackling without the arms being wrapped around/ line out jumper etc.... The Allblacks would have put 40 + on that Irish team yesterday. Bottom line... Inject pace/ urgency to the breakdown & attack and cut out silly penalties. 7 point difference come French game but as to the winner?
Boooo boooooo booooooo stop being so fekîng negative, they got a international test win, do you think the players are being that negative, Ireland France. Game will be a whole new level, Ireland will win it very comfortably . In Joe I trust .
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Beattiespastie wrote:Ireland will struggle against France based on yesterday's fatally flawed perfoance. SOB looks a spent force plus other teams have him figured out. Henshaw was ponderous and offered no real threat. Hendo and POC once again the standouts for me in a worryingly lacklustre showing. I was away in Manchester at a wedding and missed the Ulster game but on watching it back last night I cannot see why gilroy, Trimble and young McCloskey could not have made that Irish squad? italy was our first real WC test and we nearly blew it and frankly didn't deserve to win . Our penalty count was frustrating and it was the basics.... Not rolling away/ tackling without the arms being wrapped around/ line out jumper etc.... The Allblacks would have put 40 + on that Irish team yesterday. Bottom line... Inject pace/ urgency to the breakdown & attack and cut out silly penalties. 7 point difference come French game but as to the winner?
Boooo boooooo booooooo stop being so fekîng negative, they got a international test win, do you think the players are being that negative, Ireland France. Game will be a whole new level, Ireland will win it very comfortably . In Joe I trust .
mmm, can't see it being comfortable as France will have been targetting this one too but I think Ireland will just sneak it.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Russ wrote:
Master of None wrote:That was probably the most insipid and unambitious display that I have seen so far in this world cup. Did anybody notice any midfield play by Ireland at any time other than the little flurry that produced the try? Very little to get excited about or be confident about and I'm not eagerly anticipating watching them again.
As you may know I like to park myself behind the posts simply to watch the movement of players on and off the ball

Ireland had zero movement

Players were static, they trundled into an outside shoulder running sideways and away from the backrow

The backrow apart from Heaslip stood about as if in a strop
The looked about as nimble as me and a number of others who'd gone to Hawksmoor in Spitalfields before the game and eaten half a cow.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

It does seem like SOB has lost a bit of his ball carrying ability. Just doesn't seem to make the yards he used to.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

France 36-12 Ireland RWC 95
France 43-21 Ireland RWC 2003 (it was 43-0)
France 25-3 Ireland RWC 2007

This is the history of Ireland v France at RWCs.

Yes it's history, yes the fact that Ireland has never got past a quarterfinal while France have played in 5 semifinals is history,yes Ireland have not lost to France since the last RWC, yes Ireland have been awarded as distinct from "won" the last two 6Ns.

None of that may amount to a hill of beans, but I chose to be pessimistic. Fantasy is also available, for undoubtedly we are brill.

In reality, given how the Argies are playing, I suspect it won't really matter, I expect the lads back after the quarterfinal as usual.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

My hope is that yesterdays performance was all part of Joe's master plan:-

Team talk before game - "now remember what we talked about boys, go out there and play like you couldn't be arsed, make a few mistakes, let them boss you at the breakdown, miss the odd kick and give the Italians plenty of room to play - just make sure you win by the skin of your teeth. Do all of that and we will lull the French into a false sense of security - then we will unleash merry hell on them next week" :duck:
Finished
Beattiespastie
Squire

Post by Beattiespastie »

Kofi.... I admire your blind faith my friend but a comfortable Irish win against France in a World Cup after the Italy performance?? On what exactly do you base your prediction? I love my Ulster and Irish rugby but I am also a realist and we got away with a lucky victory yesterday. Listening to Sexton and POC after the match I am encouraged by their honesty but they acknowledged they have to massively up their game to beat France. Comfortable win??? Come on.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

I see 3 possible scenarios for Irelamd from now on in :-

- We lose to France and play the AB's in the qf's. With nothing to lose and back as underdogs, Irelamd throw off the shackles and play some exciting rugby, holding the AB's until the final quarter, honourabke defeat, but questions asked why we didn't play like that against France.

- We beat France and then lose to Argentina in the QF's. Some recriminations but mainly seen as a missed opportunity and soul searching about will we ever pass the QF stage.

- we beat France and then the Argies, but then run out of steam in the semis. Will be seen as a good tournament, albeit some will still believe we could have got further.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

no1 probable, no2 possible, no 3 impossible
Exterminate all rational thought
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Snipe Watson wrote:The Italian pack were aggressive and out played us at the breakdown. Their line speed was far better than ours and their defence was well organised. We will need to step things up in a big way for France or we will be meeting the All Blacks in the QFs.
That's because our line speed was non exisitent as highlighted by Drico at half time.
What on earth was Earls doing?
there is passive defending but he was so far back he was almost in the changing room.
What is so hard to work out that at international level you can`t afford to give the opposition space to play and have to get in their faces.
Understand a passive drift in a scrambling defence but off first phase it is just ridiculous coughing up 20 metres free territory against the most inept back line you are likely to see at that level.

As I said before we need to play with a higher tempo as that's what massively separates the best teams from the 6 nations.
None of the European sides have learnt from the last day of the 6 nations is the way to play but after that they have returned to factory settings putting all emphasis on structure and territory.
QF exit beckons again unless we get pace to our game and sort the intensity levels out.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Bart S wrote:I see 3 possible scenarios for Irelamd from now on in :-

- We lose to France and play the AB's in the qf's. With nothing to lose and back as underdogs, Irelamd throw off the shackles and play some exciting rugby, holding the AB's until the final quarter, honourabke defeat, but questions asked why we didn't play like that against France.

- We beat France and then lose to Argentina in the QF's. Some recriminations but mainly seen as a missed opportunity and soul searching about will we ever pass the QF stage.

- we beat France and then the Argies, but then run out of steam in the semis. Will be seen as a good tournament, albeit some will still believe we could have got further.

All of which simply confirms Ireland's participation in RWCs is just a contractual waste of time. I'd like any poster who feels he's hard enough, to tell me one thing we have learned from the experience so far that we didn't know before or even, any hint of progress the squad have made. Tell me one thing about any player we didn't know before, show me one prospect who has emerged? All very simple wide ranged questions with surely easy answers from Fibberistas. :roll:

The answer my friends is it's going exactly how most RWCs go for Ireland, the odd comfortable win against crap, struggling against any team who can front up against our limited gameplan & sneaking a win against teams others simply brush aside.

I'm not saying we were fortunate to win yesterday by the way, never ever looked like losing, it was just a display of turgid crap with far too many players way off their best form.

Comparatively a semi final would be a great tournament for Ireland, shame it's looking very unlikely. It would even be nice to win a pool for only the second time .................... but its all a bit meh.

Still ........... we could always be England. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Bart S wrote:I see 3 possible scenarios for Irelamd from now on in :-

All of which simply confirms Ireland's participation in RWCs is just a contractual waste of time. I'd like any poster who feels he's hard enough, to tell me one thing we have learned from the experience so far that we didn't know before or even, any hint of progress the squad have made. Tell me one thing about any player we didn't know before, show me one prospect who has emerged? All very simple wide ranged questions with surely easy answers from Fibberistas. :roll:

The answer my friends is it's going exactly how most RWCs go for Ireland, the odd comfortable win against crap, struggling against any team who can front up against our limited gameplan & sneaking a win against teams others simply brush aside.

I'm not saying we were fortunate to win yesterday by the way, never ever looked like losing, it was just a display of turgid crap with far too many players way off their best form.

Comparatively a semi final would be a great tournament for Ireland, shame it's looking very unlikely. It would even be nice to win a pool for only the second time .................... but its all a bit meh.

Still ........... we could always be England. >EW
Simon Zebo can pass and when he passes can pass well.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

ruckover wrote:It does seem like SOB has lost a bit of his ball carrying ability. Just doesn't seem to make the yards he used to.
SOB has lost the energy and zip that characterized his game. I don't think I've seen him play an outstanding match since his injury (I include last year's 6N against a dire Scotland). Wonder if he's all right?
Don't know what else Henry has to do to get a start. Can't see Fibber dropping SOB but I think he should start Henry v. France and give SOB a good lash from the bench as an impact player in the second half.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

SOB has ligind status

Radge had it
Dunkey had it
BoD had it
Dorse had it
Flannery had it

Basically you can be utter tom kite, yet still people get angry when their favourite player is dropped

It's a huge problem in Ireland
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote:SOB has ligind status

Radge had it
Dunkey had it
BoD had it
Dorse had it
Flannery had it

Basically you can be utter tom kite, yet still people get angry when their favourite player is dropped

It's a huge problem in Ireland

Within this Russ-speak post there is actually a connection to a good point and one I've made before. Ireland supporters will have a right go at the Ireland coach whenever they perceive him to be picking his little favourites or selecting based on name or past glories. Then they will further the case of their own favourites regardless of whether that player is in form or has ever performed at the top level before. Of course I expect we shall continue to do this forever and a day. We do rather enjoy the persecution complex or siege mentality......some more than others of course. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.