The business end: Quarter Finals

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: The business end: Quarter Finals

Post by ruckover »

Russ wrote:Team leaked
Did they at least make it to the toilet?
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Wow what a couple of quarters finals - sensational stuff for different reasons.

Wales were good for 30 mins but their legs just couldn't take it. SA smashed them time and time and eventually the front-foot defence went onto the back foot. They could have sneaked it but the Boks deserved the win. Super intensity and drama though. Wales can be hugely proud of their heroics in this RWC. Unfortunately it's a case of what might have been in relation to their injury crisis.

ABs were sensational. I expected them to wipe the floor with the french but that was something else. SA will be a different ball-game.

Sexton is out and I am really concerned for Ireland now. The Irish support will be phenomenal and we'll need every advantage there is.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

againstthehead wrote:Wow what a couple of quarters finals - sensational stuff for different reasons.

Wales were good for 30 mins but their legs just couldn't take it. SA smashed them time and time and eventually the front-foot defence went onto the back foot. They could have sneaked it but the Boks deserved the win. Super intensity and drama though. Wales can be hugely proud of their heroics in this RWC. Unfortunately it's a case of what might have been in relation to their injury crisis.

ABs were sensational. I expected them to wipe the floor with the french but that was something else. SA will be a different ball-game.

Sexton is out and I am really concerned for Ireland now. The Irish support will be phenomenal and we'll need every advantage there is.
If the All Blacks play like they did today, they will blow the Boks out of the water.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Think NZ have peaked. That was a night when everything went right. Probably left a few tricks in the locker but will be hard to emulate that performance. Ref selection will be important. Someone like Poite could facilitate an arm wrestle which is what the Boks will want. NZ should have enough but the Boks have the physicality to push them very hard.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote: http://youtu.be/g2kmIHbRHEA

Best team in the world deserves to win the RWC. The Boks are capable of providing semi-opposed training. Australia have a chance. Other than that it's hard to see past them.
That's a fair assessment. We saw a brand of power, pace and accuracy from New Zealand that has not been on display so far in this tournament.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

They are sensational to watch and today they looked invincible. However, the AB scrum can definitely be got at. Owens doesn't care much about scrum time but a more technical ref could give them a hard time. Also, Savea and Skudder need pressurized under the high ball. AB's had an armchair ride at the breakdown as well. SA and Oz will be much more aggressive in that area.

NZ are the best all round team but their pack can be got at physically. Once they lose that front'foot ball then it becomes a whole new ball game. SA and OZ and both lift their games when necessary and push very very hard.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

againstthehead wrote:They are sensational to watch and today they looked invincible. However, the AB scrum can definitely be got at. Owens doesn't care much about scrum time but a more technical ref could give them a hard time. Also, Savea and Skudder need pressurized under the high ball. AB's had an armchair ride at the breakdown as well. SA and Oz will be much more aggressive in that area.

NZ are the best all round team but their pack can be got at physically. Once they lose that front'foot ball then it becomes a whole new ball game. SA and OZ and both lift their games when necessary and push very very hard.
Lunatic. NZ are a mile ahead of the rest, with Oz the closest to their coattails.

Barnes will almost certainly be English representation in the final and that will do them no harm. Oz might beat them once or twice out of 10 but they need to have a great day and NZ a mare.

I'd expect NZ to put 15-20 margin on South Africa though I will be cheering for the Boks.

Sadly any chance Ireland have has gone with the injured, they may just scrape through tomorrow but I doubt it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

By the way, I assume I'm not alone in noticing the once massive depth of propping in France is away to the mixers?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
againstthehead wrote:They are sensational to watch and today they looked invincible. However, the AB scrum can definitely be got at. Owens doesn't care much about scrum time but a more technical ref could give them a hard time. Also, Savea and Skudder need pressurized under the high ball. AB's had an armchair ride at the breakdown as well. SA and Oz will be much more aggressive in that area.

Lunatic. NZ are a mile ahead of the rest, with Oz the closest to their coattails.

Barnes will almost certainly be English representation in the final and that will do them no harm. Oz might beat them once or twice out of 10 but they need to have a great day and NZ a mare.

I'd expect NZ to put 15-20 margin on South Africa though I will be cheering for the Boks.

Sadly any chance Ireland have has gone with the injured, they may just scrape through tomorrow but I doubt it.
We will agree on the last sentence... intriguing match up. I'd say the pumas are the most under rated side out there and Ireland one of the most over rated. Joe is the ace card though. Might just get us over the line tactically and mentally.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I am going with AGTH on this one.
Pressure is a game changer and as I posted here last night 30 minutes after the kick off that game was over against a French team who never put them under any pressure.
Any team which plays Michelak at 10 is an open invitation to flood that channel which is exactly what the All Blacks did through Nonu.
So there`s easy scores straight away.
Then it was capitulation from the least of spirited French sides as was demonstrated also against us, to a smaller extent.

Things won`t come so easy against South Africa and they are a side capable of delivering pressure.
Actually that`s exactly what they do and have done and why the All Blacks always find them a hand full.
They have learnt from Japan and have been pressurised against Wales so this is the big one for them.

They will have had their eye on this one from the off and one things for sure it will not be for the faint hearted in the greatest fixture in rugby.
Can`t wait.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Further to my above post just watched the highlights of the yestedays games again and you tend to pick up things that you didn`t watching the heat of battle at the time.
The French were honestly the most abysmal defensive top tier side I have ever seen.
They invited New Zealand on to them just basically giving them the front foot.
At one point the outside men were playing out to in on a rush when the inside men were playing a passive drift.
Utterly Utterly clueless.

I felt sorry for PSA in the end as he was a legend but I understood why the crowd gave it to him as the performance really beggared belief.

The one thing you have to do against the All Blacks is front up to them physically and play in their faces to have half a chance.
At least you can guarentee South Africa will do just that.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Why did Nigel Owens allow McCaw to stand on the wrong side time and time again. He should have seen Yellow with Picamoles. If Owens isn't capable of refereeing McCaw then you gotta take it into your own hands.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:I am going with AGTH on this one.
Pressure is a game changer and as I posted here last night 30 minutes after the kick off that game was over against a French team who never put them under any pressure.
Any team which plays Michelak at 10 is an open invitation to flood that channel which is exactly what the All Blacks did through Nonu.
Then it was capitulation from the least of spirited French sides as was demonstrated also against us, to a smaller extent.

Things won`t come so easy against South Africa and they are a side capable of delivering pressure.
Actually that`s exactly what they do and have done and why the All Blacks always find them a hand full.
They have learnt from Japan and have been pressurised against Wales so this is the big one for them.

They will have had their eye on this one from the off and one things for sure it will not be for the faint hearted in the greatest fixture in rugby.
Can`t wait.

Sweet Jesus Jizzer, you worked that out after 30 minutes? It was a walk in the park to most about a week ago when France never looked like scoring a try against Ireland. So much for your "seer" status.

Before that game I had concerns that the French would sideline St.Andrew and collectively get there act together at a RWC as they have done before. Having watched the game, two things were apparent, Ireland are a solid decent team, France have an almost entirely bare cupboard. Their lack of French players in top teams is cutting national options to the bone.

My most fragrant wife, Madame Pantalon, could have told you yesterday lunchtime that this was only going one way, so would you and that burke get off the soothsayer ballix and deal in facts.

South Africa, I've been a fan for a long time, I also think they are as poor as I've seen them for a long time, obstinate and durable are their chief characteristics. That they stole that game from Wales, a battered and tattered weakened Wales, with one unforeseen piece of sublime skill after a display of persperation and almost zero inspiration should tell you that they have almost no chance against NZ other than be brave and tough and come off having given it their best.

If today goes as I expect Australia will play Argentina in the semi and well as the Argies played for 50 minutes against NZ, I hope the Aussies win for they are the only team with an outside chance of disturbing the natural order and NZ finally winning a RWC away from home.

Back to today, I am officially concerned about Quiff. He deserves the chance but coming on after 25 minutes and instinctively performing is a different matter to having a week to prepare and a couple of days knowing you are the man in the frame. If he comes through it with a win I will be pleasantly surprised and will doff my duncher to him, for make no mistake, it is to a large extent up to Quiff. The most optimistic thing for today is that Quiffy is our best place kicker, if the pack can apply pressure and win some kickable penalties you just never know, I think graft and kicking is our best hope.

I expect big support for both teams today, the Argies will have been certain that they would be here and will be there in numbers but it should be green and noisy. I hope the atmosphere lifts Ireland for with the loss of 4 major players, dispassionately it's hard to see Ireland winning. Fortunately matters in the pitch sometimes work out differently.

I've been glass damn near emp'y up to nigh and it's worked a treat, so it has, a ploy my brother used successfully in 99 when he confidently predicted Toulouse would beat us by 40 and Stade would but 50 on us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: he had another blinding tactic, every time Mason lined up a kick he muttered "no chance" :lol: :lol: :lol: think I'll use that one on the Quiff today. >EW
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Jackie Brown wrote:Why did Nigel Owens allow McCaw to stand on the wrong side time and time again. He should have seen Yellow with Picamoles. If Owens isn't capable of refereeing McCaw then you gotta take it into your own hands.
Like SOB Jackie? Of course I have sympathy for your viewpoint but it tends to backfire. At least Picamoles got his yellow and only missed 10 minutes of a done deal, in retrospect, damn the TMO who missed Seannie's blinding slap. :lol:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:I am going with AGTH on this one.

Can`t wait.

Sweet Jesus Jizzer, you worked that out after 30 minutes? It was a walk in the park to most about a week ago when France never looked like scoring a try against Ireland. So much for your "seer" status.

Before that game I had concerns that the French would sideline St.Andrew and collectively get there act together at a RWC as they have done before. Having watched the game, two things were apparent, Ireland are a solid decent team, France have an almost entirely bare cupboard. Their lack of French players in top teams is cutting national options to the bone.

My most fragrant wife, Madame Pantalon, could have told you yesterday lunchtime that this was only going one way, so would you and that burke get off the soothsayer ballix and deal in facts.

South Africa, I've been a fan for a long time, I also think they are as poor as I've seen them for a long time, obstinate and durable are their chief characteristics. That they stole that game from Wales, a battered and tattered weakened Wales, with one unforeseen piece of sublime skill after a display of persperation and almost zero inspiration should tell you that they have almost no chance against NZ other than be brave and tough and come off having given it their best.

If today goes as I expect Australia will play Argentina in the semi and well as the Argies played for 50 minutes against NZ, I hope the Aussies win for they are the only team with an outside chance of disturbing the natural order and NZ finally winning a RWC away from home.

Back to today, I am officially concerned about Quiff. He deserves the chance but coming on after 25 minutes and instinctively performing is a different matter to having a week to prepare and a couple of days knowing you are the man in the frame. If he comes through it with a win I will be pleasantly surprised and will doff my duncher to him, for make no mistake, it is to a large extent up to Quiff. The most optimistic thing for today is that Quiffy is our best place kicker, if the pack can apply pressure and win some kickable penalties you just never know, I think graft and kicking is our best hope.

I expect big support for both teams today, the Argies will have been certain that they would be here and will be there in numbers but it should be green and noisy. I hope the atmosphere lifts Ireland for with the loss of 4 major players, dispassionately it's hard to see Ireland winning. Fortunately matters in the pitch sometimes work out differently.

I've been glass damn near emp'y up to nigh and it's worked a treat, so it has, a ploy my brother used successfully in 99 when he confidently predicted Toulouse would beat us by 40 and Stade would but 50 on us. :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: he had another blinding tactic, every time Mason lined up a kick he muttered "no chance" :lol: :lol: :lol: think I'll use that one on the Quiff today. >EW
You think thats bad Bagster a mate of mine picked France to win it.
Lucky I have kept the text to torment him with for the rest of his days.
I think the French had lost the plot and whilst everyone have been aware they have clicked in adversity historically, there was no evidence whatsoever under PSA that they would do so as he persisted with his bludgeoning game plan with Haig like mentality over creativity.

I am with you about our chances today as the margins are small but it is important that we do win as flag bearers for the Northern Hemisphere as Woodward said last night.

I wouldn`t under estimate the outstanding Welsh courage in their performances despite their injuries.
Again their back row was outstanding and has kept consistant which we have established will always give you a shout regardless.
This has been the reason Wales have done so well as they have been competitive in that area and therefore at the breakdown which is key.

As for the South Africans I have seen enough evidence over the last year or two that they can turn New Zealand over
South Africa should have done in the tri nations this year where they did out muscle them but switched off at key times you might recall.
The last 3 occasions there has been less than a score in it either way and most of those players in their squad will have beaten New Zealand and will know what it takes.
I like their new centre combo but Willie Le Roux will need to find form as he has been well off the boil in this world cup.
The upside is Vermulen has and he is coming back at the right time.

With all the history between those two its going to be a cracker.