Is IRFU truly a beacon of inclusiveness?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Re: Is IRFU truly a beacon of inclusiveness?

Post by againstthehead »

BR wrote:OK - as I believe this is a genuine enquiry and not a WUM, I am going to give my position.

I believe the following is wrong:
Use of tricolour + Ulster flag at RWC (the normal situation of the IRFU flag would be more appropriate)
The position of the IRFU over anthems at the international played at Ravenhill. It was a home match according to IRB and the Union's doublespeak about 'home matches' was an embarrassment to them.

I was brought up attending Lansdowne Road, where I stood with respect for Amhan na bhFiann (that's stand with respect with my hat off; not dance about in my green wig waving at my picture on the big screen - had such a big screen existed). Did I have a problem with that? Not in the slightest - it was perfectly explained by the fact that the anthem played was that of the HOST. It seems that is not necessarily the way some of those watching from the host nation were seeing things, but that was their problem. With the unwelcome (imho) decision to play the anthem of the visiting team at international matches and the eventual adoption of Ireland's Call, my position was further strengthened, although the derision of Ireland's Call by many and downright opposition from a few (it seemed to me, mostly Munstermen) did not lie well with my inclusive view of rugby in Ireland. Ideally, I'd have dropped Amhan na bhFiann at that point, but that was never going to happen. (The same argument was always applied to the flying of the tricolour over the stadium - it represented the nationality of the stadium, not the team playing there. And the IRFU flag tended to be used where it was more appropriate. No problem with supporters waving tricolours; just as I would have no problem with them wearing club/provincial jerseys/scarves/etc)

Then came Ireland v Italy and the first full international at Ravenhill in my lifetime. My logic would dictate that they would play that nice opera piece, followed by GSTQ, follows by Ireland's Call. I'm long enough in the tooth to know that was never going to happen and the IRFU would need to find a fudge. Perhaps *this* was the time to drop Amhan na bhFiann from future Dublin proceedings, or more realisticly a determined ignoring of the questions by the IRFU. But no - what we got from the IRFU was an insulting statement about home matches only being home matches when they are played in the republic.

Does this eat me up and impact on my daily interactions with all things related to Irish rugby? Not in the slightest, you asked my opinion, you got it, but I'm more concerned about the future of my Irish team on the pitch than I am about the diplomatic niceties that surround it, and in that, I share common ground with the majority of contributors here and on the terraces at Ravenhill.
Yeah, I think quite a few folk would agree with that. The team consists of players from the ROI and part of the UK. Ireland's call is a bit of a fudge to make the a few nordies feel welcome and as rugby has become more popular down south there seems to be growing resentment towards it. In terms of flegs, Northern Ireland as a political entity is not represented at all.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

I reckon old puppy boy is looking for a reaction to fuel his propaganda.

Feck flegs, feck anthems and let's play rugby and be proud of the county/province/club that you support.

The people looking for offence will always find it somewhere.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

I'm personally more concerned about the opening poster's apparent agenda to reduce the prominence of rugby in the media. People writing horlix that discourages people from taking part in our sport on this island is an abomination. How dare you.

If you think soccer needs more coverage, grand, write away about soccer. If you want an example of media doing serious work to promote a minority sport look how hard the English work to get Rugby League on the back pages.

So don't come on to a rugby union board telling us how you think rugby gets too much coverage, o and by the way, I'm on your side guys, you poor wee northern prods.

Sometimes the IRFU get things wrong, but in this case the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Ah flags and anthems.

There's plenty of folk who like to whinge about the "they won't play our anthem". I've never been much of a one for nationalism and especially superficial nationalism based on emblems and faux or otherwise contrived dislike of others. Folk who feel they have to label themselves as nationalist or unionist(also nationalist) are unfortunates in my view. One who desires to be truly free could never tie themselves in this way to a manufactured political entity.

I support Ireland because of geography and accident of birth. It's a bit silly but not dangerous. I couldn't give even the slightest feck about a flag or anthem. Tools of division and control which we'd be better off without. If we were allowed, which unfortunately we are not, I'd bin both in relation to Ireland rugby.

The IRFU made calls I don't agree with. Unfortunately they are in a balls of a position because of public stupidity and public opposition to freedom and civilisation. You can't force people to want to be free so sometimes you have to compromise in line with their immaturity.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Och Shan, you're a sound ould judge ...... most of the time >EW

Shame yer also a feckin' Clare cultchie with a big feckin' red neck on ye.

Long may you remain of sound mind, 'neath the grey mists of a priest ridden (literally in many folk's cases) Irish Republic. Do you never get the urge to leave?

Have to say I despise the notion of dying in Ireland, let alone dying for Ireland ....... or for any other shaggin' country, just for clarity.

Entirely agree with you on the yoke of nationalism in any form, I have tried my damndest to stay clear of all "isms", from nationalism to astigmatism, real or mental.

Yours in clear view.

B
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Och Shan, you're a sound ould judge ...... most of the time >EW

Long may you remain of sound mind, 'neath the grey mists of a priest ridden (literally in many folk's cases) Irish Republic. Do you never get the urge to leave?

Have to say I despise the notion of dying in Ireland, let alone dying for Ireland ....... or for any other shaggin' country, just for clarity.

Entirely agree with you on the yoke of nationalism in any form, I have tried my damndest to stay clear of all "isms", from nationalism to astigmatism, real or mental.

Yours in clear view.

B
Onanism ?? >EW >EW >EW >EW
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

BR wrote: Then came Ireland v Italy and the first full international at Ravenhill in my lifetime. My logic would dictate that they would play that nice opera piece, followed by GSTQ, follows by Ireland's Call. I'm long enough in the tooth to know that was never going to happen and the IRFU would need to find a fudge. Perhaps *this* was the time to drop Amhan na bhFiann from future Dublin proceedings, or more realisticly a determined ignoring of the questions by the IRFU. But no - what we got from the IRFU was an insulting statement about home matches only being home matches when they are played in the republic.
And they haven't brought the team north of black pigs dyke since! Strange that!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Jackie Brown wrote:
BR wrote: Then came Ireland v Italy and the first full international at Ravenhill in my lifetime. My logic would dictate that they would play that nice opera piece, followed by GSTQ, follows by Ireland's Call. I'm long enough in the tooth to know that was never going to happen and the IRFU would need to find a fudge. Perhaps *this* was the time to drop Amhan na bhFiann from future Dublin proceedings, or more realisticly a determined ignoring of the questions by the IRFU. But no - what we got from the IRFU was an insulting statement about home matches only being home matches when they are played in the republic.
And they haven't brought the team north of black pigs dyke since! Strange that!
Very strange that we have the new stadium and would actually turn up

Unfortunately they've done this disgusting deal whereby they only classify games as tests if they are played at the aviva

Once again fecking over tier 2 countries. Like I said before in both summer tour threads and the schools cup thread, if you're playing someone and they've got as close to a full side out, no matter who you put out it should be classed as 1XV v 1XV

None of this Ireland Select bollix
So it appears the IRFU are not inclusive of tier 2 nations either
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Spiffsson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Och Shan, you're a sound ould judge ...... most of the time >EW

Yours in clear view.

B
Onanism ?? >EW >EW >EW >EW
Wait, what's that I hear? .............. Why, it can't be ....... It is ......it's the sound of Grumpy coming to challenge the definition of that word. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

A full international in an 18200 capacity stadium is such a stupid thought I'm surprised some even consider it.

Can't remember who said but there was a fudge to be done, with no non-fudge in sight and fudge it they did. All we are taking about is the manky taste of the fudge offered. In effect we've been handed an equivalent of a vomit tasting Hershey bar rather than a smooth milky tasting Galaxy ...... If you will excuse the mixed confectionary.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:A full international in an 18200 capacity stadium is such a stupid thought I'm surprised some even consider it.

Can't remember who said but there was a fudge to be done, with no non-fudge in sight and fudge it they did. All we are taking about is the manky taste of the fudge offered. In effect we've been handed an equivalent of a vomit tasting Hershey bar rather than a smooth milky tasting Galaxy ...... If you will excuse the mixed confectionary.
Pretty sure the world cup had smaller venues and NZ regularly play tests in venues smaller than Ravenhill

Play a test against the likes of Romania, Russia etc once a year in one of Thomond or Ravers
Doesn't have to be Autumn and doesn't have to be a full strength side. But it needs to be classified as a test
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

No point in twatting Russia 100-0 in a friendly.

Not good for them; not good for us.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

BR wrote:No point in twatting Russia 100-0 in a friendly.

Not good for them; not good for us.
It would have to be after 2019/20 season anyway
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Russ wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:A full international in an 18200 capacity stadium is such a stupid thought I'm surprised some even consider it.

Pretty sure the world cup had smaller venues and NZ regularly play tests in venues smaller than Ravenhill

Play a test against the likes of Romania, Russia etc once a year in one of Thomond or Ravers
Doesn't have to be Autumn and doesn't have to be a full strength side. But it needs to be classified as a test
What's the capacity of Sandy Park :scratch:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Russ wrote:

What's the capacity of Sandy Park :scratch:
Record attendance 12,642

Kingsholm 16,500