Is IRFU truly a beacon of inclusiveness?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Is IRFU truly a beacon of inclusiveness?

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:..., Ronnie, his mate Luke Kelly and wee baldie, Sinead O'Connor. The others are just pale imitations
Shirley Sinead is from the Pale.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mikerob wrote:The Germans dropped the Uber Alles verse after WW2.

The official anthem lyrics are now about justice and freedom and stuff that doesn't involve invading neighbours.
They could stick in a few lines about high quality white goods and dodgy car software.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
mikerob wrote:If/when there is a united Ireland, they could do what the saffas have done and combine songs.

Like "Amhrán na bhFiann" segueing into "The Sash"
Knew a boy who could simultaneously play Amhran na bhFiann with his left hand and the Sash with his right.
James Young proposed a new anthem The Soldiers Sash about 40 years ago and I've yet to hear a better suggestion.

Could we do a deal for the Russian anthem it's quality. We could offer to turn a blind eye while they annex Ukraine.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Once a Knight wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
mikerob wrote:The Germans dropped the Uber Alles verse after WW2.

The official anthem lyrics are now about justice and freedom and stuff that doesn't involve invading neighbours.
They could stick in a few lines about high quality white goods and dodgy car software.
And buying the odd soccer World Cup......... >EW
Blatter say no money changed hands.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: We could offer to turn a blind eye while they annex Ukraine.
As long as they don't go near Belgium it should be all good.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Good man was Ronnie, for a legendary swallier :stout: , he did rightly to make it into his 70s

Of all "Irish" sings, I love Raglan Road but only by three singers, Ronnie, his mate Luke Kelly and wee baldie, Sinead O'Connor. The others are just pale imitations

Dear old Luke. I always wanted to be able to sing like him. Sadly I didn't come close but then again neither did anyone else IMO.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: We could offer to turn a blind eye while they annex Ukraine.
Funny country Belgium, it's not great on wars, tends to be marched through rather than fought over.

I'm curious about this notion of the soldiers sash, quite who would be represented by the sash/a sash I don't know. Maybe infantile stern faced joyless Presbyterians. :scratch:

Certainly not me. Then again I'm learning not to sing along with La Marcha Real...... for obvious reasons. Could always hum it I suppose.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Good man was Ronnie, for a legendary swallier :stout: , he did rightly to make it into his 70s

Of all "Irish" sings, I love Raglan Road but only by three singers, Ronnie, his mate Luke Kelly and wee baldie, Sinead O'Connor. The others are just pale imitations

Dear old Luke. I always wanted to be able to sing like him. Sadly I didn't come close but then again neither did anyone else IMO.
Yer right there me ould segocia. :thumleft:

Unlike Tuilagi Minor, when Luke got arrested for battering a peeler it wasn't a woman.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Funny country Belgium, it's not great on wars, tends to be marched through rather than fought over.

I'm curious about this notion of the soldiers sash, quite who would be represented by the sash/a sash I don't know. Maybe infantile stern faced joyless Presbyterians. :scratch:

Certainly not me. Then again I'm learning not to sing along with La Marcha Real...... for obvious reasons. Could always hum it I suppose.

Belgium had it use and served its purpose well.

I don't get this thing about collective representation from a song. I hear people say things like "it does not represent me" and I tend to shake my head. Society, even in a relatively insular environment, is not homogeneous. Habit and low level mind control is all it really is. You could change the anthem in the morning and in 10 years some langball will be be crying their eyes out to it in an emotional outpouring of "patriotism". Utterly meaningless horseshít is all it is. Just one of the blocks of control by nationalism or national identity. If you can make someone cry for an anthem its not a stretch to make them kill......or die..... for a constructed national identity or territory. Silly folk lap it up as they are meant to.

That being said there are some wonderful pieces of music which are used as anthems and some(rarer) which have some meaningful lyrics, at least on a superficial level.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Shan wrote:
Funny country Belgium, it's not great on wars, tends to be marched through rather than fought over.

Who cares - they make the best moules et frites in Europe!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Fair enough Spiffer, I had no intention of suggesting involvement in wars was admirable, look at the rake of wars this dump has got itself involved in.

Of course unlike the Belgians, the snooty Surrender monkeys bristle with bravado but underneath are cowards :lol: of course being an off-Europe island didn't harm the UK when Adolf was at his peak. :roll:
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I prefer "God save Ireland"
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Kofi Annan wrote:I prefer "God save Ireland"
Does he even have his coaching badges?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Well I suppose if all else fails they could go back to the original national anthem when the IRFU was formed
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

Teehee!!! >clapping
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag