Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 6 Nations 2016

Post by Snipe Watson »

Spiffsson wrote:
Russ wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:
Deraless wrote:Someone asked the Payne at 15 question at Ravers last night. Some of the guys said there is no way that Joe will ever ever ever play him at 15. Then there is the "Joe plays people he knows and trusts in places he has played them before" conundrum. They felt this probably did lead to a Leinster bias. Hendy and Stu O felt he probably didn't really trust Pads' kicking, despite the fact he had one of the best kick % in the ERCC. And also stated that McCloskey was killin dead things in training camp. They said he was "miles ahead" of the other centres in all aspects.
In all seriousness it sounds like Joe might be a bit "spectrumy". Doesn't seem to be any sense of a planned rebuild. Just womble from one year to the next.
Hendy and Stuart and good buds of Paddy's, I'm glad they can speak candidly about the frustration their mate is clearly suffering.

I'm not surprised about McCloskey tbh but if Joe's not ready to trust Henshaw to step across to 13 at this stage, he's no chance sadly.
Given Henshaw is still in Jamie Roberts pocket going through the laundry I'd drop him for McCloskey. Or play him at 15 instead of Rob No Danger Ever Kearney
Don't agree with that all. Roberts clattered Henshaw with a few big hits, but vice versa. Roberts did not get past Henshaw all game. They cancelled each other out - honours even in my book. In the bigger picture, Wales made no line breaks at all, but Ireland had a few. Don't understand the praise Roberts continually gets for playing this kind of rugby. Yes - he is a massive bloke who continuously hurls himself at his opposite number but that's it. He is lacking in skill, finesse and pace and Wales cannot progress by constantly playing Gatball based on his blattering up the 10/12 channel with no plan B. When you know what's coming, it's not that hard to defend. Thank Gawd for us that Wales did not have a clever, footballing, playmaker at 12. I'd prefer to face the predictable Dr. Desperate Dan any day. I hope Wales keep him in place.
Even though I think Henshaw is a natural 13, I think he has more to his overall game at 12 than does the one-dimensional Roberts.
I find myself is the slightly unusual position of agreeing with Russ.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
Russ wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:
Deraless wrote:Someone asked the Payne at 15 question at Ravers last night. Some of the guys said there is no way that Joe will ever ever ever play him at 15. Then there is the "Joe plays people he knows and trusts in places he has played them before" conundrum. They felt this probably did lead to a Leinster bias. Hendy and Stu O felt he probably didn't really trust Pads' kicking, despite the fact he had one of the best kick % in the ERCC. And also stated that McCloskey was killin dead things in training camp. They said he was "miles ahead" of the other centres in all aspects.
In all seriousness it sounds like Joe might be a bit "spectrumy". Doesn't seem to be any sense of a planned rebuild. Just womble from one year to the next.
Hendy and Stuart and good buds of Paddy's, I'm glad they can speak candidly about the frustration their mate is clearly suffering.

I'm not surprised about McCloskey tbh but if Joe's not ready to trust Henshaw to step across to 13 at this stage, he's no chance sadly.
Given Henshaw is still in Jamie Roberts pocket going through the laundry I'd drop him for McCloskey. Or play him at 15 instead of Rob No Danger Ever Kearney
Don't agree with that all. Roberts clattered Henshaw with a few big hits, but vice versa. Roberts did not get past Henshaw all game. They cancelled each other out - honours even in my book. In the bigger picture, Wales made no line breaks at all, but Ireland had a few. Don't understand the praise Roberts continually gets for playing this kind of rugby. Yes - he is a massive bloke who continuously hurls himself at his opposite number but that's it. He is lacking in skill, finesse and pace and Wales cannot progress by constantly playing Gatball based on his blattering up the 10/12 channel with no plan B. When you know what's coming, it's not that hard to defend. Thank Gawd for us that Wales did not have a clever, footballing, playmaker at 12. I'd prefer to face the predictable Dr. Desperate Dan any day. I hope Wales keep him in place.
Even though I think Henshaw is a natural 13, I think he has more to his overall game at 12 than does the one-dimensional Roberts.
You secretly do that a lot
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Spiffsson wrote:
Russ wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:

That's allowed. So yer both wrong then.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Dont even worry about it lads. We'll have the new savior of Irish rugby Gary Ringrose in the 13 shirt next season. He is been appointed by Sir BOD himself, every other comment in the media seems to be about him ffs :banghead:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Spiffsson wrote:
Russ wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:

If you don't rate Roberts, why keep a man who only got even stevens with him?

And does it matter whether Henshaw has more than Roberts when the idea would be to replace him with McCloskey, not Roberts?

If McCloskey's not a straight-up better 12 than Henshaw, I'm made of chocolate.