U20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

U20s

Post by Deraless »

Ireland getting back into it in England. Started off looking like men against wee lads but they have got back to 20-18 with 25 to go.

McPhilips place kicking has been poor. Missed a good 8 points. Just changed kicker and he nailed a conversion from touch.

Ireland playing all the rugby but scrum getting whipped.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: U20s

Post by Deraless »

Ireland weather sustained pressure and get another try a bit against the run of play.

With 10 mins to go Ireland lead 23 20 missing a conv in front of posts. Should be 10 points more on Ireland's total.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

6 mins to go. Englander red carded for tip tackle.

Dewi Morris says it wasnt malicious lol.

Pen kicked 26 20.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

I think his reasoning was based on the fact he was just dropped on his head rather than smashed into the ground.

Also gurnin about a disallowed try for England.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Fack'im.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Wolfpuppies win 26-20 :cheers:

That is the first time I've seen him play live and, while he's a long way off the finished article of course, I'd say McPhillips offers more than Humphreys and Windsor combined. McBurney was definitely very handy too.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Crackin win, England always look like a team of giants at that level, the sheer physical contest is the hardest to win, fair play til them young gossoons.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

[
Last edited by Spiffsson on Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Deraless wrote:6 mins to go. Englander red carded for tip tackle.

Dewi Morris says it wasnt malicious lol.

Pen kicked 26 20.
That should have been two red cards.
A pair of English players picked him up by the arms and legs and did the Umaga/Mealamu double drop.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

should that have been 4 in total?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

ruckover wrote:Wolfpuppies win 26-20 :cheers:

That is the first time I've seen him play live and, while he's a long way off the finished article of course, I'd say McPhillips offers more than Humphreys and Windsor combined. McBurney was definitely very handy too.
The one thing iHump does usually offer is kicking - but it sounds (from Deraless) as though that's McPhillips' weak point.

Any comment?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

The one thing iHump does usually offer is kicking - but it sounds (from Deraless) as though that's McPhillips' weak point.

Any comment?
I would agree. He didn't do an awful lot of kicking from hand but his goal kicking was average to poor (I think he was 3/6 for the night). In open play he was fine though.

If Pienaar handled all the kicking I reckon McPhillips would do just as good a job at fly-half as iHumph or Windsor if given the chance.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Any comment?
Very little kicking from hand; but I suppose there should be a question if that is a strategic call based on weak capacity to execute or one designed around keeping the ball in hand? Hard to tell from only seeing one game; keeping the ball in hand (when it stayed in Ireland's hands and wasn't knocked on, at least) worked pretty well. Since this seems to be the route Ulster are going down as well, maybe not overly important to make the differentiation? Especially because Pienaar is more than capable of kicking Ulster out of trouble.

In open play, I was certainly left with the opinion that McPhillips at 10 would be better than trying to get Pienaar to play 9 and 10 at the same time with Windsor's main contribution being following up as ersatz 9 when Pienaar got too involved and found himself at the bottom of a ruck.

Place kicking was woeful, though; don't remember anything too far from being straight in front but missed a fair few of them. Filled me with the same confidence as I felt when NOC would stand over the ball...
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Dear oh dear the 20s putting in a shocking 1st half performance v Italy.
McPhillips has had the kicking duties taken from him but certainly his catching and tackling are worse.
Stockdale pretty anonymous.
An error strew performance.
Going in at half time 6 -13 down and lucky not to be much more.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Connan looks a decent player though, good kicker as well.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best