Schmidt...

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Schmidt...

Post by bazzaj »

Joe should look to the outstanding Eddie Jones to see how it's done.

Eddie selects form primarily as the core of his side are Saracens particularly up front, who have dominated domestically.
Just doesn't pick tried and trusted as he clearly looks at the players club form as a guide.

Loud calls were made to cull Robshaw from the side after the world cup debacle.
However his club form was superb and Eddie correctly backed him on that basis.

He selected Burrell over Ford on club form.
However when Burrell didn't perform Ford was selected who did produce keeping his place from that point on.

One player knows he has to perform as if his level drops the next form player is in.
This can only improve the general team standard as everyone knows they can get a chance without prejudice if they produce form.

Eddie made two unenforced changes in total to his starting lineup (both in the backs), over the whole series
He does not do wholesale changes but filters players in to a solid set up.

He also gambled selection wise at the start of the game with Burrell and Harrisons selections.
However when they weren't working out he was quick to identify that with his plan b which he had in place.
Wasn't afraid to look at the option but had the bravery after half an hour to change it.
Basically changed the outcome of two of the three tests with both those decisions alone.
Not sure many coaches would have done that.

He doesn't do his gambling on the bench as the last part of the game is where tests are won and lost.
He does his selection gambles at the start which can be rectified if necessary.

He knows his players and crooks them when they are tired and not to a preordained time.
The intention is always to replace players but the outfield player generally determines when that is.
Clues he looks for include missing and falling off tackles which is a biggie.

Theres not much arguing with Joes coaching record but I am not sure if he is the type to learn off others as he may be arrogant in that regard.

He really should.
Jones has been 10 out of 10 so far and I can't see that changing anytime soon.
The standard of their tests were considerably higher than ours too.
Think only a few of the Springbok would have made that Aussie team.

England are the real deal now and we are on catch up big time and we'd better start soon otherwise this gaps only getting bigger.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

While the Springboks as a team failed to impress they actually fielded an experienced pack which was not matched by their backline which in three games failed to convince .

But it was a serious pack .

The Irish on the other hand were fielding a team which was mostly untried at this level .

While Marshall and Olding both play for Ulster the fact is that they have seldom played a full game in the centre together and the lack of familiarity was evident

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Really serious experienced pack?
Beast, Strauss Else and Low I will give you but who else?
Caps wise the rest have about the same or less as PJ.
Hardly the stuff of seriousness or experience.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:Really serious experienced pack?
Perhaps the Boks were playing from the Eddie Jones book of team selection, club form rather than past form ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rooster wrote:
Perhaps the Boks were playing from the Eddie Jones book of team selection, club form rather than past form ?
Only in the 2nd and 3rd tests
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Rooster wrote:
If they were it's a mystery why Jaco Kriel didn't get much of a look in then.
SA should also look at form rather than quotas which is just absurd.
A test series loss to us could have been the best result for them long term with that idiotic but well intended criteria.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Signed up until after World Cup 2019 :cheers: :thumleft: >flog :roll:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 34698.html
Joe Schmidt is believed to have signed a contract extension with the IRFU that will see him remain as Ireland head coach until the 2019 World Cup.

The Kiwi's future had been uncertain but he is understood to have informed senior members of his squad that he will lead them in Japan in three years' time.

Since June's tour of South Africa, Schmidt has spent much of his time at home in New Zealand pondering his next move but an announcement is expected soon from the IRFU.

Super Rugby outfits the Chiefs and Highlanders had made it clear that Schmidt was very much on their radar but he is now poised to remain in Ireland.

Schmidt has guided Ireland to back-to-back Six Nations titles in two of the last three years, since he took over in 2013 and this news would come as a huge boost.

The 50-year-old's current deal runs until next June but an extension has long been on the table.

Ireland's backroom team are already signed up until after the next World Cup and now that Schmidt is about to join them, they can continue their preparations for next month's Autumn Series.

Schmidt was originally expected to inform the IRFU of his decision earlier this summer but that was again deferred by two weeks at the start of the month as family considerations meant that he took plenty of time to reach a conclusion.

His decision not to be considered for the Lions coaching job would now appear to be because he favours having his full focus on Ireland's tour of Japan next summer.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Lol
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Informed senior members? Probably the Kearney's, Fat Ross, Cronin, Sexyton and Ringpiece.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:Informed senior members? Probably the Kearney's, Fat Ross, Cronin, Sexyton and Ringpiece.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Actually told Best :shock: :shock: :shock:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tould yis, why do you think Rory stood down as Ulster captain?

Clue: Schmidtferbrains offered him the Irish captaincy for the remainder of his tenure ................allegedly.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

bazzaj wrote:Joe should look to the outstanding Eddie Jones to see how it's done.

Eddie selects form primarily as the core of his side are Saracens particularly up front, who have dominated domestically.
Just doesn't pick tried and trusted as he clearly looks at the players club form as a guide.

However when Burrell didn't perform Ford was selected who did produce keeping his place from that point on.

One player knows he has to perform as if his level drops the next form player is in.
This can only improve the general team standard as everyone knows they can get a chance without prejudice if they produce form.

Eddie made two unenforced changes in total to his starting lineup (both in the backs), over the whole series

He also gambled selection wise at the start of the game with Burrell and Harrisons selections.
However when they weren't working out he was quick to identify that with his plan b which he had in place.
Wasn't afraid to look at the option but had the bravery after half an hour to change it.
Basically changed the outcome of two of the three tests with both those decisions alone.

He doesn't do his gambling on the bench as the last part of the game is where tests are won and lost.

He knows his players and crooks them when they are tired and not to a preordained time.
The intention is always to replace players but the outfield player generally determines when that is.

Theres not much arguing with Joes coaching record but I am not sure if he is the type to learn off others as he may be arrogant in that regard.

He really should.

England are the real deal now and we are on catch up big time and we'd better start soon otherwise this gaps only getting bigger.
Wouldn't get too carried away with England. One season in an appalling six nations and against a poor ozzie side . Ireland had a tonne of injuries at a critical time in the rwc. Get a few players back and Ireland would give England a good game. Ireland have no depth which is the problem.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

againstthehead wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Joe should look to the outstanding Eddie Jones to see how it's done.

He really should.

Wouldn't get too carried away with England. One season in an appalling six nations and against a poor ozzie side . Ireland had a tonne of injuries at a critical time in the rwc. Get a few players back and Ireland would give England a good game. Ireland have no depth which is the problem.
Rumsplaining