Schmidt...

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Schmidt...

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Schmidt says he has had one chat with the Highlanders and has no commitment to anyone but Ireland. The Highlanders job is not available until 2018.

So unless he is a big fat liar :lol: the Canterbury Tales remains in the ownership of one, G Chaucher.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

In Joe we Mexicans trust.
He's a bit like Hotel California. He can check out but he can never leave. We hope.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:In Joe we Mexicans trust.
He's a bit like Hotel California. He can check out but he can never leave. We hope.
Looks like he no longer trusts you though

Breaking stories today of the Ks being fully fit but told by Joe it was career suicide if they didn't fake an injury
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:
Dublin4 wrote:In Joe we Mexicans trust.
Looks like he no longer trusts you though

Breaking stories today of the Ks being fully fit but told by Joe it was career suicide if they didn't fake an injury

And the evidence for this nonsense ............................

.............whose career? His or theirs?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

The evidence in Russ's head.
Regardless of what you say about Leinster they have done us on every occasion when it matters.

We are a squad of average Irish Joes with half a dozen or so class acts we can contribute to the Irish team.
Leinster are in a similar position only theirs are mostly up front now which is why they tend to beat us.
The good news for Ireland is that apart from at 10 most of those class positions don't really overlap presently.

Similarly Connacht and Munster are plugging the gaps left in the Irish team very nicely as we used to do when Munster and Leinster provided the bulk of the team.

Right now we can afford to be optimistic and hopefully it's taken this tour for Joe to realise what we all seemed to know.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Early days Bazza. Let's see if Ireland can back it up on last week. The Boks should be seeking some revenge so a good test.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I think when you say early days ath, that should mean will Joe stick with these guys or revert wholesale to his favourites after the tour?
No matter what the outcome of the series will be, the best result will be that he doesn't do that and has learned that he can trust the new blood.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

...................OUT

An heroic team performance let down by perhaps the stupidest bench selection since rugby in Ireland went "kind of" professional, certainly without any question, the weakest bench Ireland have "chosen"to go with in the pro era, though we might have had as bad or worse in Deccie's last season but that was because of a horrendous injury toll, not by choice.

To have a front row of Belham Strauss & Killer against a rampant SA was just saddening, I exclude Belham from criticism s he's never experienced a test match in appalling circumstances but Strauss & Killer, by anyone's reckoning are tried and failed and just not good enough. When you are pining for Sean Cronin, something is wrong with your world. Cronin & Ross might well have made a difference.

Ryan instead of Dillane? ONe is a bag of energy, the other has been broken almost the entire season :roll:

Sean Reidy rather than Jordi? Lest I be accused of Ulster bias in those above, could someone tell me why? Well has Reidy has done this season, nothing has suggested he is your man to close out a test match.

A defeat that can purely be put down to the selection of 7 fresh faces on the bench, nice one coach. Couldn't pick your nose.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I seem to recall Schmidt saying something about picking his first team in the first test and changing things around thereafter. If he was using this match to test players and introduce them to the test arena, I'm OK with that. It's only a summer tour and should be used to develop a squad of players.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

You know what Snipe, there is a reason why people of a certain age recall that Ireland beat Australia 2-0 in 1979 & haven't a lulu who they played and where they toured in other years.

Beating SH teams in their own backyard is something that happens rarely & is a bigger investment in the future than giving failed players like Strauss & Killer a game. When you beat them on their own ground, next time you meet then in a big game, the mystique is blown away & your chances are enhanced. We have never feared Australia.

A serious waste of a golden opportunity.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

We are always good at looking back in Ireland, many of us are obsessed with it.
It's that very thing that has the IRFU and their bean counters always opting for the conservative short term option. I don't give a toss about summer tours and venerating the southern hemisphere teams.
I favour looking forward and building a deeper squad for the future. A squad that can win 6N championships and have a tilt at a World Cup rather than settling for 'doing rightly'.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Here here Snipe bit like a series win in South Africa that sort of thing?

If this team achieves this it will be better than any championship win or grand slam.
Eddie Jones has said as much recently ranking Englands series win as more significant than their slam

Woodward also identified that wins over Sh sides were more important than the 6 nations going in to World Cups.
He won 12 in a row over them despite missing out on several grand slam opportunities.
He was right.

Joe, I feel he may have blown a unique chance to win the series but damn sure I hope I am wrong.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

I expected Joe's experimental team to get a hiding in the second test at altitude. My prematch prediction was 32 6 to the Boks.
When we are on 10 26 at 65 minutes I thought we were going to quite improbably win it. Quinn Roux had a great debut locking the tighthead and powering through to really help Furlong dominate the Beast.
A number of players made mistakes and missed tackles from 65 on.
I blame the altitude.

I now expect Joe to put his strongest team out at sea level on Saturday and have a go. Marshall and Payne at centre. Trimble and Earls on the wings. Stander back in. Dillane at second row.

Even if we lose, we still have our first test win in SA and have brought through a good number of new players.Furlong's emergence is crucial for replacing Rossie. Marshall is clearly in place at 12 for the future. I'd have taken that beforehand.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Dublin4 wrote:I expected Joe's experimental team to get a hiding in the second test at altitude. My prematch prediction was 32 6 to the Boks.
When we are on 10 26 at 65 minutes I thought we were going to quite improbably win it. Quinn Roux had a great debut locking the tighthead and powering through to really help Furlong dominate the Beast.
I blame the altitude.

I now expect Joe to put his strongest team out at sea level on Saturday and have a go. Marshall and Payne at centre. Trimble and Earls on the wings. Stander back in. Dillane at second row.

Even if we lose, we still have our first test win in SA and have brought through a good number of new players.Furlong's emergence is crucial for replacing Rossie. Marshall is clearly in place at 12 for the future. I'd have taken that beforehand.
Roux may have made a difference in the scrums, but who knows how Furlong may have done anyway with Henderson, Dillane or Toner behind him. I give full credit to Furlong himself. Roux contributed the square root of FA in all other departments of play. He is a large slab of meat and that is all. He is not worth his spot on the team. I will be very disappointed if he is in next week's 23. I'd even have D. Ryan, who is more or less clapped out, ahead of him.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Dublin4 wrote:I expected Joe's experimental team to get a hiding in the second test at altitude. My prematch prediction was 32 6 to the Boks.
I blame the altitude.

The logic to play an entirely weakened side at altitude was flawed enough to allow the Springbok back in the series but it was understandable considering the efforts of the first test.
Then take them down to sea level with our full strength side.
I didn't agree with it but there was merit to the thinking.

However he didn't do that he half went for it
Now going into the last test Payne Trimble Pj Murray Toner Heaslip McGrath Best and Hendy have been flogged when they easily could have been rested.

Now instead of facing a rampant resurgent springboks side with a fully recovered refreshed side of our own , half our main players will be fecked.

Again I say like I said before during and after that match it was entirely avoidable if we had have gone all out selection wise in the 2nd test.

Then he could fill his boots with the tour also rans this week no pressure.