2016 Rugby Championship

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

2016 Rugby Championship

Post by againstthehead »

Very impressive win for the ABs over Australia in Sydney against the backdrop of the bugging scandal - WTF? Oz are looking a shell of a side and the empty seats in the stadium are a real worry that Union is falling further down the national radar - which is a real shame given they played some decent stuff in the RWC. Barrett is playing some sensational rugby at 10. If he can stay fit and add another 5-10% to his kicking he can become a really great player. Not sure if NZ have quite found the answers in terms of replacing Nonu and Smith just yet but there's so much firepower elsewhere it doesn't really matter.

Argentina had a fairly close one Vs the Boks so will be interesting to see how the reverse fixture goes.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: 2016 Rugby Championship

Post by Shan »

Australia look ballixed. Now looks like Giteau is finished and he is a major loss. However they have bigger problems up front. Disgraceful really to be losing at home by that margin but they were dominated for large parts of the game.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Having not seen the game or caught the build up I thought it must have been a weak team with a fair few missing but not really the case.

As for NZ not really replacing Smith and Nonu, well Sonny Bill missing too but Ryan Crotty has been about and in their shadows for a fair while but he has never ever let anyone down and of course Ireland have cause to remember him.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Oz turned up this week but the gulf in class was disappointing. No idea what their gameplan was apart from trying to wind up and ABs and get confrontational. I'd say Cheika and Moore have to go soon which is such a shame after their display in the RWC. Although when you think back I guess Scotland should have beat them in the QFs and they were outplayed in the final apart from when Smith went to the bin. Pooper have been invisible the last 2 weeks so something is seriously wrong. As for NZ, Dane Coles is bringing the hooker position to a new level - I'd have him close to world player of the year on current form. Barrett was again very good although his goal-kicking is still questionable.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Argies superb in first half, really got amongst the ABs. How fed up would you be playing a blinder and only 2 behind with 30 minutes to go then ship nearly 60 points? NZ just find a way.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

A agree Dereless - Argentina were stunning for the first 50 mins. It's been a very long time since a side took the game to NZ and played with such intensity, creativity and passion. The stuff they were pulling off was just fabulous to watch and it was more than just hard work and skill. They had obviously studied the ABs well and came with a cracking gameplan. They ripped NZ up around the ruck area - finding holes and making multiple line breaks. They kicked nothing away on the cheap and rattled NZ well. So much so that Hansen had to take Aaron Smith, one of the best players off in the world, after 50 mins to bring on someone with a bit more physical presence -at least that was my opinion. In fairness to Hansen he saw what was going wrong and made some cracking changes. Again Dane Coles, stunning form this year but was having an average game - pulled him off early too. Albeit those changes are easier when you have quality to come on but I would thought taking those experienced guys off would be a gamble when the game was so tight. Shame that Cane went off crocked as he's been in good form although watch out for Ardie Savea - this guy is an absolute machine. Basically like Julian, but plays 7...

The rise of Argentina over the last couple of years has been incredible. They've moved away from their forwards-dominated gameplan of old and have moved to an expansive free-flowing ball in hand game which is awesome to watch and they're bloody good at. Whilst SA and OZ seem to be going backwards, it's Argentina that looks to be moving up the next level. Good to see. Really looking forward to seeing them play NZ in Argentina.

Tries are worth a watch:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/all-blacks/ne ... _id=165158
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

A bit like the Pumas last week, the young Bok side played some decent stuff for 40 mins. Played with some real pace. Another couple of years and they should be a very good side. After their average performances last week, Aaron Smith and Dane Coles were out of this world this week. Check out the 3 try assists from Coles - awesome for a front-rower:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/all-blacks/ne ... _id=165425
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

This has been a real snooze this year, can't be bothered with it, NZ just miles ahead of the opposition, games never in doubt. That's two weeks in a row the opposition have given of their best & been beaten out the gate by huge scorelines.

To an extent, watching NZ is like watching Saracens, you know they're almost certainly going to win, hope they fall on their faces but they very rarely do.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote::sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

This has been a real snooze this year, can't be bothered with it, NZ just miles ahead of the opposition, games never in doubt. That's two weeks in a row the opposition have given of their best & been beaten out the gate by huge scorelines.

To an extent, watching NZ is like watching Saracens, you know they're almost certainly going to win, hope they fall on their faces but they very rarely do.
You can tell NZ have something to build towards in the short term and the rest are in year 1 of the 4 year cycle

BORING
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Yeah the gap is too much at the minute which is a bit of a surprise since NZ lost something like 700 caps after the RWC. The final 2 away games in SA and Argentina should be more tight.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

It's a show to be honest. Australia, South Africa and Argentina are all very good teams when compared with Northern Hemisphere nations but look third rate against NZ.

With France in disarray for the last few years and 3 of the 4 British teams incapable of living with NZ, and struggling to be competitive against the other 3 SH teams consistently there is really only one nation who have any hope of competing with NZ in the near future and that of course is England......and even that is a slim enough hope at this stage considering that while they beat Australia in 3 tests down under they didn't destroy them as NZ can do at will currently.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

France have been tom kite for too long. They used to be consistently inconsistent but now are consistantly awful which is to detriment of the game. Rugby is already the fourth sport in Oz and could fall further with football taking off. Not good.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Saffers 15 NZ 57 in Durban.
9 tries to bugger all, 7 in the 2nd half.
Up to Ireland to halt the World Record winning run lol. I think Ireland are gonna get ripped a new one.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Naw, NZ play ozzie before they head to the US so should have it wrapped up by then. 12-9 at half-time but some of the rugby in the second 40 was quite scintillating. Barrett is on another level at the minute albeit he can't kick goals. He just stands so flat and carves sides up with his pace. Aaron Smith wasn't missed after his antics; with Perenara showing that he's right up there as one of the best half-backs. I can't see Ireland coming anywhere close to living with NZ. I guess in Dublin you never know but this is as close to a complete rugby team that I've ever seen - apart from being able to land kicks at goal of course.
Last edited by againstthehead on Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

That was the greatest rugby performance I have ever seen.
They are just unreal and when you see individual skills combined with their team ethic it's simply lethal.
Allwe can do is look and admire.
Don't know if we can learn as our players simply don't possess those skill levels.
Offload and run in anticipation of it in the gaps.
Seems simple doesn't it!