Rule/Law Adjustments

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Rule/Law Adjustments

Post by Neill_M »

The trial will begin on 1 January, 2017 in the southern hemisphere and 1 August, 2017 in the north and will last for an initial period of one year. The 2017 British and Irish Lions tour and June window internationals will be played under the global law trials.

Law 3 Number of Players – The Team
3.6 (Uncontested Scrums)
Uncontested scrums as a result of a sending off, temporary suspension or injury must be played with eight players per side.
Reasoning: To discourage teams from going to uncontested scrums.

Law 5 Time
Add to 5.7(e) If a penalty is kicked into touch after time has elapsed without touching another player, the referee allows the throw-in to be taken and play continues until the next time the ball becomes dead.
Reasoning: To discourage teams from infringing in the dying moments of the game.

Law 8 Advantage
Add to 8.1(a) When there are multiple penalty infringements by the same team, the referee may allow the captain of the non-offending team to choose the most advantageous of the penalty marks.
Reasoning: To discourage repeat offending when advantage is already being played and to reward teams against whom repeat offending has taken place.

Law 9 Method of Scoring
9.A.1 (points values)
Penalty Try. If a player would probably have scored a try but for foul play by an opponent, a penalty try is awarded. No conversion is attempted.
Value: 7 points
Reasoning: To discourage teams from illegally preventing a probable try from being scored while also saving time on the clock by negating the need for a conversion.

Law 19 Touch and Lineout
Add to definitions on page 117:
• A player who is attempting to bring the ball under control is deemed to be in possession of the ball.
Reasoning: This brings into law something that is already applied in practice. It means that a player "juggling” the ball does not have to be in contact with it at the exact moment of touching the touchline or the ground beyond it for the ball to be deemed to be in touch. This makes it easier for the match officials to adjudicate.

Amend eighth definition on page 117:
• If a player jumps and knocks the ball back into the playing area (or if that player catches the ball and throws it back into the playing area) before landing in touch or touch-in-goal, play continues regardless of whether the ball reaches the plane of touch.
Reasoning: To simplify law and to increase ball-in-play time.

Add to definitions on page 117:
• If the ball-carrier reaches the plane of touch but returns the ball to the playing area without first landing in touch, play continues.

Add to sixth definition on page 117:
• In this case, if the ball has passed the plane of touch when it is caught, then the catcher is not deemed to have taken the ball into touch. If the ball has not passed the plane of touch when it is caught or picked up, then the catcher is deemed to have taken the ball into touch, regardless of whether the ball was in motion or stationary.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rule/Law Adjustments

Post by BR »

All seem like reasonable amendments. Not keen on the conversionless penalty try idea though.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

I would like the clock stopped until the ball is out of a scrum. Still too much time wasted.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:All seem like reasonable amendments. Not keen on the conversionless penalty try idea though.
On the other hand have you ever seen the conversion missed ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

againstthehead wrote:I would like the clock stopped until the ball is out of a scrum. Still too much time wasted.
And we should stop the clock whenever a back is running with the ball in their hands too.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
BR wrote:All seem like reasonable amendments. Not keen on the conversionless penalty try idea though.
No but it's just changing a fundamental. It is now a penalty goal instead of a penalty try.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote:
Rooster wrote:
No but it's just changing a fundamental. It is now a penalty goal instead of a penalty try.
Feels a bit like intercourse without the end release.

Could have stopped the clock and as it is a PENALTY try no charge down can be attempted.

It's a major fundamental change and a loss of history, when a try simply allowed an attempt at the posts.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Would like to see a penalty awarded and a YC for a player knocking on and then diving on the ball killing any advantage to the opposing team.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

scrum5 wrote:Would like to see a penalty awarded and a YC for a player knocking on and then diving on the ball killing any advantage to the opposing team.
Rum?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

scrum5 wrote:Would like to see a penalty awarded and a YC for a player knocking on and then diving on the ball killing any advantage to the opposing team.
So when a team has been awarded advantage are you just supposed to stand back and let them run in a try?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

BR wrote:
againstthehead wrote:I would like the clock stopped until the ball is out of a scrum. Still too much time wasted.
And we should stop the clock whenever a back is running with the ball in their hands too.
When a scrum is continually reset it can eat up to 5 mins sometimes. Refs seem to be a bit better at just playing on quick if there's a collapse and the ball is available at the back so that helps in fairness.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BR wrote:
So when a team has been awarded advantage are you just supposed to stand back and let them run in a try?
I think he means a deliberate infringement knowing they have conceded a penalty anyway. Could be a yellow card.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
I think he means a deliberate infringement knowing they have conceded a penalty anyway. Could be a yellow card.
I thought he meant where they knew they'd conceded the scrum. Similar to offside at a knock-on.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Wonder will they ever go back to straight feeds at the scrum, and not straight to the 8 like NZ were doing yesterday.

Perhaps if they just policed the laws as they are already written everything would work out without this messing around with changes.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
Dave wrote:
BR wrote:
I thought he meant where they knew they'd conceded the scrum. Similar to offside at a knock-on.
I think BR has the correct reading of it. In theory a penalty sounds like a reasonable call, but a yellow card would be a bit much. In reality would it be workable? I'm not sure.