Dan Vickerman

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Dan Vickerman

Post by fuzzylogic »

SA, NZ and now Aus losing a well known player....
Dan Vickerman: Former Australia lock dies at the age of 37

Former Australia lock Dan Vickerman has died at the age of 37, the Australian Rugby Union (ARU) has confirmed.

South Africa-born Vickerman played 63 Tests for Australia after his 2002 debut and featured in three World Cups.

"The rugby world is in shock after news of the tragic passing of Dan Vickerman. He was an enforcer on the field and a much-loved character off the field," said ARU chief executive Bill Pulver.

No details of the cause of death have been disclosed.

The former Wallaby died at his family home in Sydney and is survived by wife Sarah and two sons.

He retired from the game in 2012 after spells with the Brumbies and Waratahs franchises in Super Rugby, and also spent the 2009-10 season in England with Premiership side Northampton Saints whilst studying at Cambridge University.

He played for Cambridge in their 2008 Varsity match defeat by Oxford, before captaining the Light Blues to victory in the 2009 edition at Twickenham.

England head coach Eddie Jones, who coached Australia and the Brumbies in his homeland, was among those to pay tribute.

"On behalf of the RFU and myself, I would like to send my condolences to Dan Vickerman's family, Sarah and the two kids," he said.

"He was a wonderfully committed team player and a good guy. He will be sorely missed by the rugby community."
Mary had a little lamb . . .
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Dan Vickerman

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Unsubstantiated rumour of suicide, sad news.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Very sad to hear

There are a lot of former rugby players from the 2000s sadly passing away recently

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Unsubstantiated rumour of suicide, sad news.
Very sad news indeed.

Suicide figures for men are shameful and need to be addressed.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

shamalicious wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Unsubstantiated rumour of suicide, sad news.
Very sad news indeed.

Suicide figures for men are shameful and need to be addressed.
Something more than government lip service to mental health would help Shammy.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.