Summer Tours

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Summer Tours

Post by Neil F »

Eggs wrote:Im very surprised to see both Stu and Craig omitted. I hope that they found out ahead of time and not the same way as us, I would have thought both would have been preparing to go.
McCloskey is a surprising call but I could almost understand it were O'Loughlin not included. As it is, I think McCloskey has every right to be a bit disappointed but he hasn't had a great season and really hasn't been given much of a chance at Ulster, between odd selections and injuries.

Gilroy, though, is a logical call. I am seriously concerned that Gilroy is going to pi$h away his not-inconsiderable talent. My memories of Gilroy this year are going positionally AWOL, failing to defend with any major conviction and with so many backline moves coming to an end with the ball in Gilroy's hands in midfield on the halfway line as he tries to dance and pirouette through 13 covering defenders. His decision making capacities have seriously gone downhill in the last couple of season. Previously, he covered a lot of that with moments of absolute magic that I don't think any other player in Ireland could produce. This season, beyond possible the easiest hat trick ever scored in international rugby against an already-disinterested Italy, I can't really remember anything of note he's done. Zebo, Earls, Stockdale, O'Halleron and Conway have all offered significantly more than Gilroy. In terms of natural talent, Gilroy possibly goes straight to the top of the list of Irish wing talent; in terms of how he's currently using that talent, he's rock bottom.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Conversely, I'm not sure what more Sean Reidy could have done to make the squad, apart from play for Leinster or Munster.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

justinr73 wrote:Conversely, I'm not sure what more Sean Reidy could have done to make the squad, apart from play for Leinster or Munster.
Actually, feck, I didn't even think about Reidy's omission. Although, honestly, playing in a functioning back row in a stable position would probably help him a lot, so maybe you're onto something about Leinster or Munster... I take it back, though. That is a contentious one, although also difficult to argue with any of the guys who have been included as well and I don't suspect there's going to be much need for a tackle machine in Japan or USA...
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Visas might be an issue

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Russ wrote:Visas might be an issue

Nope - Reidy carries Amex
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

The non selection of Ulster players is simply down to the rugby they played during the season on command from a dysfunctional coaching team. While Munster and Lienster players further develop our lot will be opening coffee houses and eating doughnuts and that just about sums it up.............
We are I believe not without talent but need direction.
Gerald the Mole
Warrior

Post by Gerald the Mole »

Reidys cap was to feck us over and stop UR bitching for back row player, feck your all blinkered
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Gerald the Mole wrote:Reidys cap was to feck us over and stop UR bitching for back row player, feck your all blinkered
And now we will have 2 International 9 's so we can't complain about that along with an International second row and numerous International wingers
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Neil F wrote:Were this the Autumn Internationals, I'm sure Trimble would be in there, along with Kearney and Heaslip. As it is, I'm glad that all aren't there. Trimble has had such a staccato season with injuries that getting a proper rest and a proper pre-season will be good for the player, Ulster and Ireland. Don't think this is a suggestion that Trimble is out of the mix. Ditto, Kearney and Heaslip, who also aren't going. What is clear is that Ireland need new wing options. Ireland had four outside backs in the Lions squad in 2009; 3 in 2013; and none this time around if you follow Schmidt's thinking that Payne is a centre. More importantly, though: it was 3 wings and 2 respectively in 2009 and 2013; none this season. To me, wing has been one of the reasons why Ireland have struggled to score in too many test games in the last couple of years. You can make arguments about them not being used, which is right to a certain degree but I'm not sure any of Ireland's wings would get into the 23's of England, France, Scotland or Wales. New blood is needed. And while this is Japan and USA in a Lions summer, I'm glad to see that guys who'll be around in a couple of years getting a shot.
Yes it appears a few senior players have been overlooked for development purposes. That begs the question, why is Keet Earls there?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

We got RAY as we didnt have an international prop

UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Grand little chuckle to myself, berating of Ulster rugbys terrible performances this season. Berating of Joe when he doesn't pick players who have as a collective had a terrible season.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Grand little chuckle to myself, berating of Ulster rugbys terrible performances this season. Berating of Joe when he doesn't pick players who have as a collective had a terrible season.
You're not wrong there No9.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Being coached by 3 numpties doesnt mean our players are suddenly dung

drumquinandy
Novice

Post by drumquinandy »

Earls and Zebo are there because Japan is almost the same time zone as NZ. If required at short notice by the Lions, theyre halfway there and jetlag wont be an issue.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Gilroy 's omission is the product of a back line that has denied space to the wings running latterly .

To function wings need space .

Trimble has lost pace due to too many injuries to his feet and the back three experience is provided by "the leak machine" Earls and Zebo .

Surprised slightly by McCloskeys absence since he is the only centre available who provides a beef option at centre .

14 backs in the party - only 3 have double digit caps - 4 have no previous international experience .

Some in the party are playing for places in the RWC squad and some you can already indentify as no shows .

Happy to see Jackson and Cooney included and hope they use it to establish an understanding before the start of next season .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist