Ireland u20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Ireland u20s

Post by Dave »

Rea and Stewart starting tomorrow against italy. Curtis and Cooper on the bench.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ireland u20s

Post by Neill_M »

Beat 22-21 by Italy in opener. Games v Scotland and New Zealand still to come in the group.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Neill_M wrote:Beat 22-21 by Italy in opener. Games v Scotland and New Zealand still to come in the group.
Who are the coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

kingofthehill wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Beat 22-21 by Italy in opener. Games v Scotland and New Zealand still to come in the group.
Who are the coaches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Peter Malone assisted by Kieran Campbell.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Were 15-3 down at HT, recovered to lead 21-15, only to concede a late try and miss a penalty to win it. Coverage on ITV4 of the tournament (showing semi finals and final live), highlights tonight (11pm). Eir Sport have the coverage South of the border.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Only seen the first half which was poor. The Irish pack looked a bit lightweight and got turned over a few times. The Italians were skillful and inventive in attack. I didn't see Rea do too much in the first half. His opposite number was a monster and scored a try.
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

I think you can watch these games on worldrugby.org. Ireland with too many injuries to really make an impact in this tournament. Also drop hooker McElroy because he didn't want to join Connacht Academy and may go to Saracens Academy instead. Sounds like another Nucifora decision.
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

Higher work rate from the Irish backs than the forwards in the first half!!
The Green pack turned the tables round in the third quarter which Ireland dominated. However they couldn't add to the two quick fire tries from electric wing man Nash at the start of the second half.

Some defining moments
24 mins Ireland pick & drive knocked on at the Blue line.
57 mins Tynan lost control of the football as he tried to ground it for a score.
50 ~ 65 mins two premature drop goal attempts missed from Conor Deans.
70 mins No.12 Frawley kicked a penalty for Irish to lead lead 21v15 but then they conceded a penalty from the restart.
In the minutes before the late Italian try Game Management & Control would have easily closed the game out for the Irish boys. Ireland had possession in the opposition 22. Lost it then casual defence allowed the Italians to come from inside their own 10 metre line to score.
Green 18 was culpable in this build up & Frawley shot out to get neither man nor ball, leaving space for the Italian backs racking into the green 22.

Hats off to the Italian 15 running the inside line, taking the ball from behind him & juggling it Zebo style before scoring.
The conversion was a skud kick that went wide of the right hand post but somehow veered inside at the last moment.
Frawley should have knocked over the final long kick.

Stewart.
Guilty at 38 & 47 mins of getting in the way of high takes that resulted in team mates knocking on.
44 & 65 mins He made two beautiful long touch finds from inside the Ireland 22.
His body language was different in the second half when his forwards started delivering for him.
Nice passing game.
The way the Substitute Italian 9 kept talking & marshaling his team in the last few minutes before they conceded the final penalty was text book. Stewart needed to be more vocal especially in the first half.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

The Ireland-Scotland game was brilliant. OK, Ireland lost but that was one of the most enjoyable rugby matches I have seen in a long time. Very impressed with the Irish hooker - Kelleher I think. Great darts, defence and attack. 28-32 with some super tries.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Final group match v New Zealand on Thursday to come, so likely to finish bottom of the group and go into the playoffs for 9th-12th. The team who finishes 12th are "relegated" to the Trophy competition for the following year.

Were in the final last year...

Obviously the squad quality will change from year to year, also injuries etc to factor in.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Yes, huge difference between a first year team and a second year team.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
lw7
Novice

Post by lw7 »

What made the Ireland - Scotland game exciting was the perfect weather conditions and the Scottish running from deep. The back 3 of Graham, Nairn & Kinghorn were skelectric.
As a team they played an exhibition of quick running lines and one handed offloading, exemplified by a thrilling length of the field score in the first half.
Shame for them that they didn't polish off some of their other chances.
Their No.8 Fagerson was another standout.

Like the Italian game the Irish forwards ran too many one man carries close to the ruck. Repetitive with few wider carries using 2nd or 3rd back door passes out from the ruck.
The Scots interlinked play between forwards and backs with ease. The Irish ball carrying was more segregated with separate forward and back phases.

The much vaunted Jack Kelly sliced through the Scottish line & did a lot of work to score a fine individual try in the second half.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Ireland 31-3 down at halftime against NZ.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Finished 69-3.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ireland likely to go into the 10th/11th PO game v Samoa. A win there will avoid the 11th/12th relegation match.