Ireland u20s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland u20s

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:Try by David McCann. Looks a unit.
A bull of a man. Still 18 years of age.
Ferris 2.0
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:Try by David McCann. Looks a unit.
A bull of a man. Still 18 years of age.
Ferris 2.0

Now stappit!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Irish player lifted and dropped on his neck. Red card given. It's now 35-26 to Ireland.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote:Irish player lifted and dropped on his neck. Red card given. It's now 35-26 to Ireland.
Couldn't believe what I was watching when he did it. There is no way he could claim it was an accident. Had him by the leg and flipped him over his head.

Understand now why our Munster brethren are getting so excited by Ben Healy based on this performance. If he has been performing like this consistently he has a big future.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Considering the poor coaching set up it's a great win.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Dave wrote:Irish player lifted and dropped on his neck. Red card given. It's now 35-26 to Ireland.
Couldn't believe what I was watching when he did it. There is no way he could claim it was an accident. Had him by the leg and flipped him over his head.

Understand now why our Munster brethren are getting so excited by Ben Healy based on this performance. If he has been performing like this consistently he has a big future.
He looks the part. Hopefully they won't hype him up too much. It just adds pressure.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Same here. What a knob.

McCann looked like he’d got the raw materials.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

Can't understand why Munster didn't play him more this past season.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Rooster wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

Can't understand why Munster didn't play him more this past season.
I've read Shan give off about Munster not giving young lads opportunities. To think he's not nailed on starter at Ireland U20 level when competing against Harry Byrne who is out injured strikes me we have two very talented out halves coming through in this group.

I thought Kernohan was quiet for a lad that has a dozen senior starts under his belt. With that sort of head start on others on the pitch I expected him to stand out. Maybe he's just not that kind of player, he's solid but for a wing there just doesn't seem to be enough flair. He needs to be getting on the end and finishing moves with scores.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
I thought Kernohan was quiet for a lad that has a dozen senior starts under his belt. With that sort of head start on others on the pitch I expected him to stand out. Maybe he's just not that kind of player, he's solid but for a wing there just doesn't seem to be enough flair. He needs to be getting on the end and finishing moves with scores.
I don't think finishing is his strong point. Not a good thing for a winger but he is young enough to improve. Unfortunately for him there are too many ahead of him, with Sexton becoming available now as well.

The English wingers looked much more impressive. Particularly Olly Sleightholme. Mind his Da?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

It was just like watching his old man Jon. England's fullback was Phil De Glanvilles son. Did both fathers ever represent England both at the same time?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:It was just like watching his old man Jon. England's fullback was Phil De Glanvilles son. Did both fathers ever represent England both at the same time?
Probably, as they would be of a similar vintage. They were really keeping things in the family with that side. The out half, Manu Vunipola, is a cousin of Mako and Billy Vunipola.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Wasn’t that impressed by any individual Irish player .
The result reflects a numerical superiority for 34 minutes and the use of a long kicking Munster out half putting the forwards in the red zone .

McCann looks big enough to possibly make into the professional game .

The back line was so very disjointed ball in hand that any positive opinion would be impossible .Nor would negative opinion be possible because there was no clear reason for failure - as a unit they didn’t impress .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

rumncoke wrote:Wasn’t that impressed by any individual Irish player .
The result reflects a numerical superiority for 34 minutes and the use of a long kicking Munster out half putting the forwards in the red zone .

McCann looks big enough to possibly make into the professional game .

The back line was so very disjointed ball in hand that any positive opinion would be impossible .Nor would negative opinion be possible because there was no clear reason for failure - as a unit they didn’t impress .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

good game, actually much closer than the scoreline suggests, and dare I say I think Ireland rode their luck a bit - it wouldn't take a lot to convince me that the first try wasn't grounded, and I'm certain Healy's foot was in touch for his.. decent performance by Ireland, but the good thing is that I think there's a lot more to come - a few players had just ok games by their standards, notably Casey, and Flannery at 10 didn't really work, he seemed to struggle and Healy had a big impact when he came on. But Ireland have a big old pack, look pretty solid in defence (although a tendency to be caught narrow) and seem to have plenty of self-belief.

From an Ulster POV, Hughes looked uncertain at 15 I thought, although apparently the breeze was strong, Kernohan was quiet on the wing, but Stewart Moore had a very good game. Real shame Allison had to go, hopefully he gets back for a game or two later on. I was really impressed by McCann - leaving aside the tries (although they were both good finishes), I thought he had a cracking game. He's also the youngest (or at least one of the youngest) boys in the squad - doesn't even turn 19 until next week! (terrifyingly for anyone of my vintage he was born in 2000 :shock: ) He looks like a smashing player, has the frame to take another 10kg, and he looks tall, mustn't be far off 6'4" and looked like a good lineout option.

I think the other stand out players overall for me were Hodnett and Tierney-Martin, as well as the second rows. Hodnett was brilliant at 7, completely seemless shift from 8 during the 6N, and came up with two great poaches early on. He looks the business, not the biggest but a real solid package, carries well, looks useful in the outside channels, and can fetch as well apparently!
..one more thing