RWC warm up matches

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Dharper
Steward

Re: RWC warm up matches

Post by Dharper »

The decision to jettison PJ is coming back to haunt the IRFU, on the pitch at least, as predicted 18mths ago.

I’ll be interested to see how Beirne goes off the bench, & how the 2nd row operate as a combo - certainly appears alot more muscular, but the lineout will be interesting.
For me ref wise it focuses on Maro rolling away from the tackle - consistently kills the ruck speed. He got away with absolute murder in the CC final. Leinster supporters moaned about “off side”, it was great linespeed, & missed the consistent ball killing by Maro.

Frightening to think carty & Byrne have nigh on zero caps, & could conceivably be playing most of the WC.
Looking forward to watching PJ & SO in the challenge cup this yr. 👍

Now back to my San Miguel liquid breakfast on the train to Twickenham.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Ireland have lost the spit roaster. Shame
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Itoje ripping them a new one
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Would be nice if Cooney just told him to go fish..

Byrne isn't fit to lace PJs boots.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Gonna be 2007 all over again. Poor Joe...
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Well, that was a shocker. Positives? Best, Henderson and Stockdale not injured.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Ireland will win next week and all will be rosy.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Not a single Irish player played even adequately. Some like Stander hardly featured in the entire match. I didn't think Stander was on the pitch until I noticed him in the second half.
The lineout was simply appalling. I can see nearly every starter today changed for next week.
It can only get better, can't it? :oops:
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Stander was playing?!
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Honestly didn't realise Stander was playing.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Ireland played the game with one hand tied behind their back --- ie the back row were playing in front of Byrne and the every defender was pulled in towards the breakdown, and the whole game seemed to played with the intention to ensure the out half avoided injury - thus passing in the back line was to a static receiver .

The line out was a farce the only thing of merit was the scrum which held its own.

On that showing Byrne made Carberry look a genius .

But to be honest England have been a team who had potential in the backs but lacked a back row. Vunipola is basically one paced, but a man magnet, who lacked support -- the addition of Curry and Underhill has rectified that failing by adding the pace which has been missing for about 6 years.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

From an Ulster point of view.

Best as much as I have loved him in an Ulster shirt was absent. Stockdale failed a sad attempt of impersonating A Trimble shooting the line in defence but failed to get the timing right leaving gaps down his wing 3/4 times. Great going forward but alas defence still something to improve on.
Hendo solid and showing his farmer strength however if he was calling the line out he certainly didn’t help his Besty with those calls. (some dodgy lifting and decoys didn’t help)

C J Stander is no Billy V and has proven SA Rugby had it right he is to small and one dimensional.
Murray is getting more predictable and since injury is just to slow, it’s painting by numbers.

Kearney at full back 50/50, Byrn good at of the tee but offers no X fActor. Sextons wrap around nearly looks special all of a sudden?

Not running to the bookies with a Semi final bet being laid!

#Depressed!
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The Irish team peaked 2 years ago As I stated the Irish back row were protecting rather than defending leaving Stockdale looking at a two man over lap -- miss timing a charge would not be surprising . England on the other hand had a predictable backline to defend against because Byrne was playing shuffle ball -- England then attacked the second receiver with a 2 or 3 man charge which was lying marginally off-side 50% of the time -- the product then being Ireland seldom made the gain line . Failure to make the gain line meant the recycle was slow and open to turn over .

Not to sure about the problem in the line out -- because it didn't get better when Toner came on and Best went off.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Really disappointing performance and result, the only positive I can think of is everyone was so bad that possibly the aim is to peak for the world cup and they are right at the start of that progress for this season. Best while not great I would need to see the lineouts again, it appeared they knew what we were doing and their jumper simply got in front of ours. Stockdale's defence was awful, a real liability.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Gonna give stockdale some slack. He was left in impossible positions at times due to how narrow the defence was. Byrne and aki went missing in leading the defensive line, leaving stockdale to handle 2 on ones all day. He tried to make man and ball tackles but when these dont come off you are accused of being at fault for a walk in. If he stayed wide a simple take and give puts the man over anyway. Sexton is needed more for his defence now than attacking prowess.