Lions v Southland

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Lions v Southland

Post by barney »

Murphy; Cueto, Smith, Henson, Hickie; O'Gara, Cooper; Stevens, Titterell, Hayes; Shaw, O'Callaghan; Moody, Williams, Owen.

Replacements: Bulloch, Sheridan, Easterby, Cusiter, Hodgson, Shanklin, D'Arcy.

If Clive sticks to his plan to not include any of these guys in the squad for the first test then I would be very disappointed for Murphy and DOC in particular.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Disappointed for them - but hardly surprised. We all expected SCW to have certain England favourites in mind for the test side. And this list would seem to support that notion.

Surprised to see Cusiter on this list - thought he'd be a cert for the SH-Bench place in the test team.

Also thought Shanklin was the best option at 12 for the tests.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

Big call to leave Henson out of the test 22.

I have a nasty feeling we're going to see Wilkinson at inside centre.

Looks like Back at 7 and Dawson backup S/H. Presumably Hill at 6 and Corry at 8.

Agree with you on Shanklin.

By this time next week we should know if it's genius or madness at work.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

It seems to me like madness. He's gonna play Robinson! A guy who has played poorly for over a year now. He's leaving Murphy and Cusiter out. Why hasn't he played Shanklin in the center???? Its interesting that Henson didn't score one try in the whole six nations, but Shanklin seems to score in every game. Yet through media hype we have Henson hailed the wonderkid. The All Blacks will be licking their lips at the thought of Dawson, Wilkinson, Robinson and maybe even Thompson! That wouldn't surprise me at all if Thompson started.

I pray to god that Clive is just playing games and some of the Tuesday guys will be playing!
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Suspect you're right JB - I think SCW would love just to put out hiw WRC team from 2003 if he could somehow manage it.

I was hoping that Robinson wasn't making either the test squad or this one - but that's just wishful thinking. In my opionion Dawson, Robinson and Thompson shouldn't make the test squad - but they probably will.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

Ok a few hours have gone by since we heard the squad and I think I am calmed down enough to post, lets be honest we are F**ked.

His team is going to be:

15 Lewsey
14 Thomas
13 BO'D
12 Greenwood
11 Robinson
10 Wilko / Jones
9 Peel
1 Rowntree
2 Byrne
3 White
4 PO'C
5 Kay
6 Hill
7 Back
8 Corry/Jones

16 Thompson
17 Jenkins
18 Grewcock
19 Corry/Jones
20 Dawson
21 Jones/Wilko
22 Horgan

12 English man, how in the name of hell. I see Jenkins being on the bench as Rowntree isn't going to make much impact off the bench so thats the way I think it will go, Cusiter,Henson, Murph and Shanklin must be raging. How Robinson is in I don't know and as for Greenwood, Rowntree, Dawson and Grewcock. I am getting annoyed again, but people have always said the selection will make or break the series and I think we have just broken it.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I'm very nonplussed by the Cusiter selection particularly, slightly less so Murphy after yesterday's performance - yet he has shown much more than Robinson on tour and towards the end of the domestic season.
Dawson is there for his experience only - but again on form Cusiter must have been very close to starting the Test.
The inability of any of the inside centres tried so far to have any impact has left Greenwood in position by default it seems - why neither Shanklin nor Horgan have been tried there remains a mystery.

Jenkins must be starting loose head with Rowntree to cover both sides. I believe he'll start with Grewcock also.

Who will miss out on both this week's sides?? Shane Williams or Robinson - I think he will go with Horgan on the bench to cover wing and centre. That leaves the starting left wing for one of those two.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

He will go with Robinson I would say, but after all his talk of he will select players on form and merit it counted for jack sh1t. I just hope he doesn't move Wilko to 12. Our only hope is he is playing mind games and a few players may still be in the test 22. As for Dawson he has experience but hasn't shown very much else. He wasn't even the first choice English scrum half, Cusiter has proved that behind beaten packs he is still one of the worlds best and is like an extra back rower in defence, he is a far better player than Dawson.