Woodward announced at Southampton

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Woodward announced at Southampton

Post by cjp »

Southampton manager Harry Redknapp has confirmed Sir Clive Woodward will join the club later this summer after returning from the Lions tour.
At the weekend Woodward refused to confirm a newspaper report he would become Saints' director of football.

"It is pretty much public knowledge Clive is coming to join us," Redknapp told the Southampton website.

"I've met him and got on well with him. I don't think you should ever close your mind to what people can offer."

Redknapp did not reveal what role Woodward would take up when he arrived at Southampton, though it has been previously reported he would work with the club's youth set-up.

But Redknapp threatened to resign if Woodward interfered with team selection.

"I am sure Clive Woodward would have an awful lot to offer but when it comes to picking the team and the players that's my job," said the Southampton manager.

"If anyone ever interferes with that then that is the end of me for sure - but there are other sides of the club he will look at."

"He wants to get involved with the Academy and the kids and learn the game.

"I think eventually he wants to become a manager - that's his ambition. But he knows it is not going to happen overnight. It will take a few years."

The Lions tour is set to finish on 9 July after the third Test against New Zealand.

And TBH I think this is part of the reason why he doesn't seem to give a damn about the Lions
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

Clive's been financially secure for a good while now.

Unlike most of us mere hirelings, he can afford not to give a ****.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Can't agree that he doesn't give a damn.

Anyway cjp have a read at this. Redknapps living on borrowed time.
Woodward has already stated that he left the England job because of lack of power on issues surrounding the job.
A position as a toothless figurehead will not sit well with him.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/ ... 18,00.html
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

Interesting article. How he will fare in football will be intriguing. Would love to be a fly on the wall when himself and 'Arry get together to chew the fat.
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

I fink arry's about to be chewed.
cjp
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by cjp »

I think Harry knows it, surprised he even kept the job on in the summer.
barney
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by barney »

When Harry was interviewed in the aftermath of relegation, it sounded like he was gone already.

He referred repeatedly to Southampton as "they" and made several comments about not being sure if he "needed the hassle" any more.

Looking forward to the "Saint Clive" headlines...