Liverpool FC

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Beattiespastie
Squire

Re: Liverpool FC

Post by Beattiespastie »

Liverpool need a rid out big time!! Suarez is a disgrace as is Dalglish....what a pathetic club they really are....I used to have respect the great Liverpool sides but this shower are a disgrace. Racism has no place in any sport but the way Dalglish has conducted himself since Suarez had his ban should result in a lifetime ban....Dalglish is to blame today as well as that idiot Suarez...look on as Manchester United move on and upwards with dignity as illustrated today... >#
Troglodyte
Novice

Post by Troglodyte »

Don't be silly Beattie - apologise immediately

Don't you know that the cheeky witty scousers are just fun-loving good natured salt of the earth and the rest of the world just has it in for them out of jealousy.

Apologise, I say, apologise!!!!! - Nay, travel through the streets of Scouseland offering your grovelling apologies through a megaphone from an open top bus! (but watch out for your hubcaps)
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

What if Suarez was right? Since we've no proof that Evra's story was accurate, we'll never know. Bit let's say Evra fabricated a large percentage of his story, and Suarez got an 8 game ban on the basis of it, I'm not sure why he'd shake hands with the man responsible in that case. Or perhaps Suarez is still upset that Evra insulted his sister the last time they lined up against each other (Evra admitted to this in the enquiry). Do not be quick to judge friends.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

OneMore wrote:What if Suarez was right? Since we've no proof that Evra's story was accurate, we'll never know. Bit let's say Evra fabricated a large percentage of his story, and Suarez got an 8 game ban on the basis of it, I'm not sure why he'd shake hands with the man responsible in that case. Or perhaps Suarez is still upset that Evra insulted his sister the last time they lined up against each other (Evra admitted to this in the enquiry). Do not be quick to judge friends.
Did you read the report of the proceedings?

Suarez did not get an 8 game ban on the basis of Evra's evidence, he got it because his own evidence contradicted himself several times over. He admitted saying the words he wass accused of, albeit only once. The problem being that on different occasions he admitted using them once in the goal mouth, once in the penalty area, and once outfield - ALL of which tallied with what Evra had alleged. He made several oral and written submissions each of which contradicted the other based on what other evidence had become available or he THOUGHT had become available. Even Evra admitted that he didn't think Suarez is a racist and being fluent in French, Italian, English, but only having passable conversational Spanish, he realised and admitted shortly after the allegation that the words used (same word but not quite the same meaning in Italian and Spanish) were not as insulting as he first thought, but were still designed to cause insult based on his race/skin colour. All of the evidence submitted by Evra was consistent with what was caught on camera - little of Suarez's was consistent with the film footage. Liverpool tried to taint Evra by making false allegations about his behaviour that day (including arguments he allegedly had with the referee) - all of which were contradicted by the referee and his assistants.

Evra's evidence was found to be consistent and he even admitted his own fault in the affair even though he was not accused, but Suarez and several Liverpool officials (including their translator) where shown to have contradicted each other and themsleves on numerous occasions. The FA came to the conclusion that Suarez was not a racist, but had used racist language in an attempt to provoke Evra into actions that would have got him sent off by the referee.

I don't think in reading the FA's report in full and considering all of these, I have been too quick to judge.

Simple fact is that Suarez was found guilty, he did his time and today had an opportunity to draw a line under it - but he totally blew it. Unfortunately he brings most of this on himself.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

What you say may well be true Captain but the fact remains there is one hell of a difference between being a tasteless wind up merchant and a racist . And if Evra did not think Suarez a Racist why did he accuse him of being a racist ?

He didn't get the ban because of the evidence given by Evra but the accusation made by him . No accusation-- no enquiry --no ban.

If someone called me a racist ( even thought he I wasn't ) and I had been banned for eight weeks . shaking his hand would be last thing I 'd want to do .

To be honest actually to offer me his hand in the circumstances I would consider to be provocative.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Is shaking hands before the match not a bit contrived in the first place?
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

These people are professional sportsmen, and role models to kids up and down the country. Their behaviour (Suarez snubbing the handshake, Ferdinand snubbing Suarez's handshake, and Evra's 'celebrating' post match) was all unacceptable.

I see Suarez, Daglish and LFC's owner have all issued individual statements, apologising and reinforcing what is expected of the club.
Follow me on Twitter
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

rumncoke wrote:What you say may well be true Captain but the fact remains there is one hell of a difference between being a tasteless wind up merchant and a racist . And if Evra did not think Suarez a Racist why did he accuse him of being a racist ?

He didn't get the ban because of the evidence given by Evra but the accusation made by him . No accusation-- no enquiry --no ban.

If someone called me a racist ( even thought he I wasn't ) and I had been banned for eight weeks . shaking his hand would be last thing I 'd want to do .

To be honest actually to offer me his hand in the circumstances I would consider to be provocative.
Let's get one thing straight here - EVRA DID NOT ACCUSE SUAREZ OF BEING A RACIST

Indeed even from the beginning, he made it clear that he DID NOT consider him to be a racist, but he was surprised by Suarez's comments because he had never had any problems with him before, he was aware of Suarez's own racial background and that he had been heavily involved with anti-racist campaigns in the Netherlands. All Evra claimed was that he had been abused and that the abuse was based on his skin colour. Suarez confirmed the words used but tried to excuse them. The FA were convinced that his excuses were just that - excuses and not an explanation of what had happened.

Neither the FA OR Evra have accused Suarez of being a racist - BOTH have explicitly said that they do not believe himn to be a racist. Nevertheless, he did by his own admission use language that was disparaging to an opponent based solely on the colour of his skin. What he does deny but the FA did not accept was that it was intended to be disparaging. The finding of the FA was that his words were not racially motivated, but were intended to abuse an opponent in order to provoke him. The ban it was for seriously infringing the laws of the game and seriously bringing the game into disrepute NOT for being a racist (although the there was a racial element to it, but that was brought into the matter by Suarez's own actions).

I wish if people are going to argue against the findings, they would argue on the basis of the findings not what they think they were. Even Liverpool have been defending Suarez on the basis that the FA have branded him a racist, when they were quite explicit that they were not doing so.
I'm not arguing -
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

29xThePain wrote:These people are professional sportsmen, and role models to kids up and down the country. Their behaviour (Suarez snubbing the handshake, Ferdinand snubbing Suarez's handshake, and Evra's 'celebrating' post match) was all unacceptable.

I see Suarez, Daglish and LFC's owner have all issued individual statements, apologising and reinforcing what is expected of the club.
That is to be welcomed. Pity it did not come weeks ago before all of this escalated. Had Liverpool Football Club done so then perhaps Suarez might not have felt he could get away with what he did yesterday, despite telling club officials that he intended to do the opposite. Perhaps he felt that once again the club would offer unequivocal support?
I'm not arguing -
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Not sure what to make of Suarez yesterday, Grumps. Maybe Suarez intended to shake Evra's hand, yet in the heat of the moment, could not put himself to do it (as if shaking the hand of an opponent is a massive issue).

Agree Liverpool could have handled this affair a lot better. They've pushed the boundary offering Suarez unequivocal support - the club has come in from criticism constantly since the whole affair began
Follow me on Twitter
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n beautifully explained and to such a degree that only a thick Scouser might still have trouble understanding the entire episode. I don't take an enormous interest in football other than watching the greatest team in English Fitba history and though aware of it I haven't particularly followed the Suarez story so your posts are enlightening.

It would appear reasonable to assume that Saurez like manys another fitbaist is a thick little boy with a talent in his feet but not much happening between the ears. It would appear from what I saw of the incident that he had a little smirk towards Reina before refusing Evra's hand.

Having apparently assured his club that he would indeed shake Evra's hand, I am a little surprised that a club of Liverpool's stature appear happy with a too little too late begruded apology from a spoilt brat. Like surly ould King Kenny in a way but the tee shirt crap did him no favours, but Fergie will forgive him anyway :lol:

Evra's little dance in front of Suarez did him little credit either of course.
Animated Gif Devils (4).gif
Animated Gif Devils (4).gif (8.67 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
Scousers.............eh?
scousers.jpg
scousers.jpg (50.42 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BaggyTrousers wrote:It would appear reasonable to assume that Saurez like manys another fitbaist is a thick little boy with a talent in his feet but not much happening between the ears.
Ugh, sure being a bit 'thick' must actually help to play fitbaw. Take a normal person; let's pick me; I get a ball in an acre of space. I start running towards the goal. On a 50 metre run in, I have maybe 15 seconds of time to think about what I'm going to do. Top corner, bottom middle, around the keeper, power, placement... I'm so wrecked by thoughts and impending self-doubt that by the time I've worked out what to do, the keeper is out, ball is snaffled and it's gone. Now, let's take, say, Gazza; a man who would be lucky to have a monkey bashing cymbals between his ears. Gets the ball, runs towards the goal, cymbals potentially crashing, tucks it away in the top corner and is playing a flute before he's remembered that he's called Paul...
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Neil F wrote: On a 50 metre run in, I have maybe 15 seconds of time to think about what I'm going to do.
Blimey! 15 seconds to run 50m. Who are you, Justin Harrison?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Hey, Let's get back to the football - great goal by Suarez on saturday. Pity he hadnt got a second.
And isnt Ferguson a tw at.
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Hey, Let's get back to the football - great goal by Suarez on saturday. Pity he hadnt got a second.
And isnt Ferguson a tw at.
Not as big a one as King Kenny.