The Golf

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: The Golf

Post by BaggyTrousers »

big mervyn wrote:I hate golf.

I hate the Masters even more.

Still, I am enjoying this.

If the winner could just tell the good ole boys who run this "club" to stick their green jacket up their holes it would be perfect.
I'm no longer in love with golf, as I was for about 40 years, I seldom watch these days but tonight is the first time I've felt a knot in my stomach being excited by it in years.

Anyway Merv, Augusta National is not the place it once was, now not only do they have their token black chappie, they have a woman FFFS. :shock: :shock: :shock: Mr Roberts would have the current committee whipped until they bleed with a knotted plough line.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

H'wan
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Brilliant night of golf. Gwan Sergio. Gwan The European Union.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Brits out. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

A Seve par on 13 kept Sergio alive and the eagle on 15th was majestic. :thumleft:

Overall, Sergio hits so many great shots, if he putted like Spieth he'd be bloody unbeatable.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Gwan the EU :cheers:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Brilliant viewing all day yesterday.

Can someone give Rory a boot up the hole?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

damianmcr wrote:Brilliant viewing all day yesterday.

He'll not win the masters until his putting is at the required standard and he stops piling the pressure on himself. The putting is coming on well, but he needs to get his head in the right place. His normally bulletproof driving was poor at times and that kept him from scoring on the first two days.
I fancy his chances in the other majors this year. If the putting keeps improving, the ball striking will surely come back.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Ditching the girlfriend usually gives his game a boost.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:

He'll not win the masters until his putting is at the required standard and he stops piling the pressure on himself. The putting is coming on well, but he needs to get his head in the right place. His normally bulletproof driving was poor at times and that kept him from scoring on the first two days.
I fancy his chances in the other majors this year. If the putting keeps improving, the ball striking will surely come back.
You know what Snipe, that is a brave statement given that Sergio has just won it, but you're right.

Can't remember who said it, maybe, Ken Brown, there are many great players who have never won a major, Monty for a good 10 years and more was a great player, genuinely a great player but sometimes what you need to get over that line is a bit of luck or your closest rival not to get too lucky. I remember Steve Elkington draining a monster putt in the playoff at Riviera against Monty & if memory serves he holed a huge putt on the 72nd to get into the playoff.

The likes of Andy North won 3 tournaments, his first 2 wins happened to be the US Open, he's not a great player, Monty was but North is a multiple major winner, the gold standard in golf.

Rory, of course, is likely to win several more but he has always been a bit fragile on the greens at times and though Augusta looks tailor made for him, the greens find people out.

It's actually a testament to the quality of his game yesterday that Sergio won despite a few dreadful looking putts. It was also the day when the questions of his mental strength in a big one were answered emphatically. HIs iron play was sensational, made me want to dig the sticks out and hit a few myself. >EW

By the way, I wish Justin Rose every success despite pulling against him last night, seems a genuinely good guy who has become very good having had a horrendous start to life as a pro, a lesser character would have been wrecked forever by it.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

You know what Snipe, that is a brave statement given that Sergio has just won it, but you're right.

Can't remember who said it, maybe, Ken Brown, there are many great players who have never won a major, Monty for a good 10 years and more was a great player, genuinely a great player but sometimes what you need to get over that line is a bit of luck or your closest rival not to get too lucky. I remember Steve Elkington draining a monster putt in the playoff at Riviera against Monty & if memory serves he holed a huge putt on the 72nd to get into the playoff.

The likes of Andy North won 3 tournaments, his first 2 wins happened to be the US Open, he's not a great player, Monty was but North is a multiple major winner, the gold standard in golf.

Rory, of course, is likely to win several more but he has always been a bit fragile on the greens at times and though Augusta looks tailor made for him, the greens find people out.

It's actually a testament to the quality of his game yesterday that Sergio won despite a few dreadful looking putts. It was also the day when the questions of his mental strength in a big one were answered emphatically. HIs iron play was sensational, made me want to dig the sticks out and hit a few myself. >EW

By the way, I wish Justin Rose every success despite pulling against him last night, seems a genuinely good guy who has become very good having had a horrendous start to life as a pro, a lesser character would have been wrecked forever by it.
Yes, the great intangible luck factor is always important in a game of millimetres. Rory's ball hitting the flag at 18 in round 3 and ricocheting back off the green was a case in point, probable two shot swing. However as the great Lee Trevino, among others, quipped; “the more I practice, the luckier I get”.
I think Sergio's long game was sensational yesterday and I was expecting him to start choking on his putts and leaving them short, but he held together well. I always think Sergio goes after the ball so hard, but that's just the way he plays and he's a heck of a ball striker.
I'm delighted for Sergio, like a lot of us, he has battled his inner demons, but fair play to him, he has prevailed. :salut:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Great to see Tiger Woods looking so well. Never liked the arrogant cheating (on and off the golf course) ballix.
Attachments
E9805C6E-8661-4DCF-8FC5-F39C60567979-1968-000003018B0012F7.jpeg
E9805C6E-8661-4DCF-8FC5-F39C60567979-1968-000003018B0012F7.jpeg (71.21 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Arrested for not driving straight. Only took the Feds 15 years

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rory's putter letting him down again. He's a bit wild off the tee too, but his iron play is majestic and he's pulling every putt he looks at.

Then he holes one :roll:
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

So Rory's now got a couple of free days to practice his putting. At least he's in some pretty good company with a lot of big names not making the cut.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

solidarity wrote:So Rory's now got a couple of free days to practice his putting. At least he's in some pretty good company with a lot of big names not making the cut.
He's been putting for the last month and it didn't help. There's something fundamentally wrong with his setup, mindset or routine.